Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow just got my bloodwork back. I've been slightly anemic for years, but my doctor told me my hemoglobin is 7.1 :surprise: I can't believe it's that low! It should be around 12 or 13 and sometimes they give you a blood transfusion in the 6 range. Now that I know, I can see that I'm really pale, my lips are almost the color of my face and the reds of my eyes are white.

My period is heavy 1 day out of the cycle, and she doesn't think it's fibroids. She wants me to go back on the pill, which defeats the purpose of having my tubes tied. :( I hate the thoughts of going back on the pill, but my health is at stake now. She said I'm in the "life threatening" range.

Thing is, I don't feel that bad which means it went down gradually and my body has just adapted to it.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Last time I went to the Dr. I was anemic, they put me on Iron pills but that was it, haven't been to the Dr. in a while and I would hate to have to go back on the pill since my tubes are tied as well. I also have a very very heavy period the first day or so with major major cramps so ba I cant even walk, I have to put a heating pad which eases the pain just a bit.

BUT If I were you and the Dr. told me I was in "life-threatening" stage I would do whatever it takes before IT takes my life.

Let us know what you decide! :hugz:

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
I've always been very anemic. I take ferrous sulfate every day and eat iron rich foods. It helps. I'm also hypoglycemic, so I need to be extra careful about eating what I should, when I should. Combine the two and I've had some very scary moments out in public when I thought I was going to pass out. Luckily, it's never happened. I hate a scene and would not be pleased.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Wow, I hope the iron pills kick in quickly for you. I am glad you aren't feeling that bad. I don't know if I am anemic or not, but I am going to get tested for that at my next physical, each year I think I look more and more pale and my energy level feels very depleted.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Mine is very low right now. I can't remember what the number was because I didn't know what it meant, but it was low enough to warrant some very stern looks from the doctor and another round of bloodwork in a couple months. I never seem to be able to make myself take my iron pills. Whenever I remember them, I can't find the energy to take them out of the cupboard and swallow one (guess it's the low energy that reminds me to take one).

I was sick last summer and lost about 35 pounds and it's been really low since then, but I've had it off and on for years.

My son is also low. The doctor said he was at 8 now which was up a bit from last time when he was at 6. I don't know if the numbers are different for kids, or if that was a different test, but there was certainly no talk of transfusions, in fact he's only on a preventative dosage of iron rather than a treatment dosage.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have had anemia problems for years due to heavy periods. My gyn suggested a newer procedure called an oblation proceedure. It is preformed in conjunction with a D & C. It totally solved my problems and for the first time in years I'm not anemic. The down side (which at my age didn't matter) is that you no longer can carry a pregnancy, so it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I did when I was a kid, I had 2 transfusions and the drs weren't sure I was going to make it. I haven't had a problem since then.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I've had problems with anemia. When I was in the hospital in May 2005, I had to have a blood transfusion. Since then I've taken the iron pills. Sometimes when I have my blood checked, I am mildly anemic but nothing like before.

I was like Amy, I had times I thought I would pass out which is an awful feeling. Do whatever it takes to get you back on track.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've been anemic off & on for years ever since I got pregnant with my first dd.
I just iron pills for it.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I used to be. I have periods that last a good two weeks. I've been taking slow release iron daily, along with a womens multivitamin that also has iron in it. It must be working because my Hgb remains in the normal range. I've thought about having an endometrial ablation, but keep putting it off thinking that maybe my body will improve. I'm almost 48.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I've had issues with aniemia for many years. It's gotten to the point where they say if it doesn't get better, it'll be a transfusion time.

Well, there's a few things to look for.

#1 - get your thyroid checked. Have them test not just levels but for antibodies. If the antibodies are there, your levels may be too low for you. Remember the levels are "averages". The dr told me that in order to be anemic due to thyroid, the thyroid function had to be very very low, not necessarily true. If it's out, everything can be out.

#2 - Most iron pills are over kill in doseages. There's so much in them, you can't use the iron in them. Find one that is low dose and take twice a day with orange juice or tomato juice. Vitamin C helps absorption. Avoid drinking milk for a period of time before and after taking the iron. The best supplement I ever had, and what I use exclusively, is a blend. It is iron, B12 and folic acid. They told me blood transfusion, I said give me 2 weeks, and I went from 4 to 21. Now every health region seems to have a different count system, so I don;t know how to relate to yours. But the "lowest safe range" was 16, but people are often much higher. It's still a battle, as with anything hormonal, my thyroid fluctuates, and does affect my iron levels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts