Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our family went last week and the prices are ridiculous. I could not believe what they wanted for items that were used.

Dd wanted to buy a couple sweaters. Not one was less than $12.99. Pieces of material were $6.99 and up. We didn't even stop to look at jeans. I mean really at these prices we can buy new for almost the same price.

I know they need to pay employees and rent for their buildings, however the prices are nuts!!

Anyone else finding this at Value Village?

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I haven't gone in years, their prices are outrageous. I can buy clothes new at the mall (never even mind Walmart) than I can get at Value Village. I also went to Goodwill once when we first moved to Ontario, they had worn out baby tshirts from Zellers for twice the price as Zellers was selling brand new next door.

I go to Frenchies when I'm home in the summer and that is the only 'thrift' store shopping I do.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I won't be going there anymore either. We have a small thrift store in the town closest to us that has really great prices. Nothing over $1, however there hours are kinda crazy. They are only open 2 hours on Thurs. afternoon and 2 hours on Sat. morning.

MCC has a really nice thrift store in the city. We will definitely be visiting there a whole lot more.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I agree their prices are too much. As you say, you could buy some of the clothes new at the prices they charge. I will still go there though for their books and wool.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Ours has gone up alot too. Know I just got to the Salvation Army or the other thrift store in town.

·
Registered
579 Posts
the one in north bay, wasnt too bad, in sault ste marie i found it sooooo expensive....now in oakville...i find it much cheaper than ssm....i paid 6.99 for pants....they were asking 12.99 in the sault.....but being new here i don't know where to find the deals yet ...(im a big plus size...so its harder....walmart wanted 25$ for sweats for the gym...so i was happier at the 6.99

their prices have gone wayyy up compared to 2001 when i started shopping there...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I used to shop there all the time. Now I go there only for books because the prices are really high for clothes.

I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. They are pricing so high they aren't going to get any business.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't bother shopping for hubby work clothes there anymore I used to be able to get work sweaters for $2.99 now it's $5.99 when Giant tiger put new ones on for $5.00.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have to agree. I hadn't been there for quite a while and went in a couple of weeks ago to get some jeans.

I got my jeans for $10 which would have cost me $40 new and a dress for dd for $6. So, not bad, but really, these are used clothes that they got for free!

I was thinking that the jeans should have been about $5 and the dress maybe $3?

I agree about the workshirts also. Our Giant Tiger regularly has pj pants, work vests, jackets, flannel shirts on for great prices- women's tops too.

I picked up 3 shirts at Zellers last fall on clearance for $3.00 each and I am a plus size as well. So, why go to VV?

Anyone go to Goodwill or Salvation Army? Are they better. We have both in our town. Our new Goodwill store is huge - used to be a big Loblaws store. I haven't been in there yet.
Candis

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I used to shop there. Prices have gone up here too. I need more pants. VV pants are running $8-12. The VV ones invariably need their zippers replaced ($15). Meaning I am looking for new pant from a regular store that cost less than $25-30. That's certainly doable. So I'll be shopping the regular stores from now on.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
They don't sell $12 pants here. Last time I was there we were looking for jeans for my daughter. They were $25; we went to the mall and bought new, in style, jeans for $22.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are they trying to put themselves out of business? It doesn't make sense to have jeans at $25 when they are used. That's crazy.

I noticed when we were there that there wasn't many customers and I sure can see why.

Someone asked about Salvation Army. The one in the city where we shop is so crowded and it's dirty and not in the best part of town. It has hardly any parking lot although their prices are more reasonable.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Totally agree with everyone, although I must admit, I do go there on 50% off day, but it kind of puts me off considering every thing is donated, so I feel we're basically paying for the overhead. I do know one gal who works there, admittedly for a few years, but she does make in the $12 hr range. Certainly don't go as much as I used to, again the books are cheaper, but they too have gone up, and I rarely find anything that interests me.
Jacquie

·
Registered
724 Posts
I was going to go to VV yesterday for the 1/2 price sale, but the ice storm stopped that idea in it's tracks! LOL!
I do buy the calendars at the end of the year, and usually will only buy if I can use my coupon for that month. My sister and I go together, and sometimes will combine our purchases to use the coupon too. I've gotten some great deals that way.

Monkeywrangler, I love Frenchie's! I really miss going there.

Homesteadmamma, I've been to that Salvation Army. I totally agree with you about the condition of that store. The MCC thrift store--is that the one just up the street from the SA? That's the only other thrift store I know of there. Do you know something I don't know?? :lol3:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was going to go to VV yesterday for the 1/2 price sale, but the ice storm stopped that idea in it's tracks! LOL!
I do buy the calendars at the end of the year, and usually will only buy if I can use my coupon for that month. My sister and I go together, and sometimes will combine our purchases to use the coupon too. I've gotten some great deals that way.

Monkeywrangler, I love Frenchie's! I really miss going there.

Homesteadmamma, I've been to that Salvation Army. I totally agree with you about the condition of that store. The MCC thrift store--is that the one just up the street from the SA? That's the only other thrift store I know of there. Do you know something I don't know?? :lol3:
MCC is on 414 Pacific Ave. It's a great little store. It's not too far away from 1st.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven't been in a while, but I did go for the half price sale yesterday. When I do go to a thrift store it is usually only for specific items - I buy fabric, or even more affordable, flat sheets in good condition and neat patterns - way cheaper than buying fabric, even at Walmart. I also like to look through the kitchen stuff, specifically serving dishes. Some of the pieces they have are older, but they have character, which is what I like. Clothing, though, I am less likely to buy. I have to really go through EVERYTHING to find a few pieces worth the price. I, too, like Giant Tiger for clothing. For the kids, though (especially SS), I have been able to find some nice, affordable articles of clothing for cheap cheap at Value Village.

I treated myself to a shopping trip yesterday (as I said) at VV and got a whack of great stuff! My list is on the thread "Staying Within Budget at Secondhand Store". I was really happy with everyhing I got!

·
Registered
687 Posts
There isnt a vv here, but I did visit another town that Had one last year. The prices were horrible. Really high prices, I would not buy clothes second hand for what they had them put as.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I don't remember the last time I bought clothes at Value Village. I find that stocking up on kid's new reduced clothes at the end of season for $2 or $3 is the way to go. I've saved a lot of money doing this over the years.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts