Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That time of year, schools are pushing the class rings.Kinda ticks me off because my daughter comes home with all the papers filled out. Of course kids will want special ones. The reps of the company had my daughter pick out the make,design,stone,ect. Total cost $600 they send the papers for parents signature and deposit. My daughter doesn't graduate till 2014.So now i have a sad daughter. She knows money is tight and is a pretty frugal teen. But still being that age still wants one. I know walmart does have order forms for the rings. I did a online cost, same ring but in white gold and same design and stone for $267.00 comes with insurance and warranty.Has anyone bought class rings from stores and not through schools? I mean the school gave parents no notice it was like Wed. They had a school rally papers came home today.Deposit due Monday. I told my daughter she is not getting one this year. That will give us a year to save change. Any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I think it might make you feel better if you did a poll on here and asked how many people wear their class ring today.

My brother and I didn't get them as students ourselves, I felt no need to get them for my daughters. In fact even yearbooks were negotiable. Oldest wanted one every year, youngest did not want any. Works for me! I have yearbooks somewhere in a box, do I pull them out and fondly finger through them? heck no, I'm happy to be an adult and those days are over.

Hang in there, this really is just another imaginary "need" put on by society and peers. Don't even get me started about general graduation packets that run $500 or more. phhhhhhtttt didn't buy those either.

My two cents.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I loved my class ring. I ended up with one as a sophmore. I also paid for mine by babysitting. At the time they offered a payment plan which helped alot. I do remember a friend ordering one thru a different company and it was just as nice.

This might be a good way for your daughter to earn a little money and save up for the ring.

·
27,948 Posts
We didn't buy them for our kids & we don't have them either. Big ring purchases with all of us are the big ones that have a major commitment attached to them.;)

Reactions: Nana2two

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
i got mine from walmart too.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I got my first class ring as a graduating senior in high school.

Do you mean the freshman, sophomore etc high school classes are being pushed to buy a ring for each year? So they'll have four class rings?

I didn't wear my ring for years and just lumped it with other gold pieces and sold it for the gold weight.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Hubby and I still have our class rings. mine was through the school, Jostens. Hubby was not. His went through the wash and the top metal came off so he keeps it in a memory box. Mine doesn't fit but I look at it.

We both received our as Juniors as was customary in our schools.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got mine as a Junior and my mom got it from Walmart as well. It was a Christmas/Birthday gift that year. I wore that ring all the time. I would still wear it but I lost it along with a necklace that DH got me when we stayed at a hotel.

If she is a frugal minded teenager like you said, I would bring up the fact that it doesn't have to be from the company the school goes through (since they are beyond ridiculous!) and that you can get a decent one from Walmart for half that and NO ONE will know the difference!

·
8,714 Posts
~I was homeschooled but I have one. Mine was $90. We ordered from a brochure and picked it up at a local appliance place. This was back in the olden days before we had a Walmart. :D
I think I was 16 when I got mine and I was working by then so I could have paid for it myself. I still wear it. I love it!
Is your DD 14? I'd just wait if I were you. You can save and get it for her Junior year.~

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I still have my class ring. My dad was keeping his for me, but someone stole it when I was around 8 years old. Wish they had not done that. He really wanted me to have it and I really want it.

DD is a graduating senior and her ring was ordered through Wal-Mart instead of through the company that made a sales pitch at her school. I am not a fan of the companies that come soliciting to the kids. I pretty much avoid buying from them when I can. DH and I gave DD the money to get her ring, roughly $250.

DS is a freshman and we will get him one his junior year.

Do I wear mine now? No. Do I think it was or is a waste or money? Not a chance. I love my ring and what it symbolizes. It is one of those things I am glad I got and treasure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought my class ring from a jewelry store. It was made by the Gold Lance company. The ring is 10k yellow gold with antiquing, a sapphire stone with a fireburst cut inside and I chose the stuff to go on the sides. That was back in 1991 and the price was right at $200 from the jewelry store but would have cost over $400 from the school. It has a lifetime warranty. I got it stuck on my finger once after an incident that made my finger swell. My ex-husband cut it so we could get it off. I checked with Gold Lance later and if I sent the ring and $40 to them, I could get another one. For sentimental reasons, I never did that but I do still wear it since the cut is on the inner side. Really, I just want to get it welded back together.

They didn't even offer them when I was in school until junior year.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
oldest ds we bought from school
older dd we bought from limoges.com - it was so - so i think because she insisted on having the stone be her birthstone which is april/ diamond - so it was a faux clear stone and just didnt look good in the cut she picked - blue the school color would have looked nicer .

middle ds we just got his i bought it from a web site durham i think it was called- came out very nice - was less then half the cost and they had more clubs etc to pick from then what the school and walmart had so he could pick ones that were his interest .

our kids get them their junior year - they have a mass and a special ring dance when they get them ( catholic school )

i lost mine in a move but still have my nursing school ring not that i wear it but i just wear my wedding band not my engagement ring even due to work reasons.

my dh still has his ring he wears it for school reunions etc

if it means not eating or not paying a bill on time i wouldnt do it but i had the ability to pay for them using extra work hours or coupon codes online etc . So if they wanted them they got them .

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my first class ring as a graduating senior in high school.

Do you mean the freshman, sophomore etc high school classes are being pushed to buy a ring for each year? So they'll have four class rings?

I didn't wear my ring for years and just lumped it with other gold pieces and sold it for the gold weight.
No they just offer it to who ever hasn't gotten one yet. I told my daughter what if for some odd reason we would move in 2012 or 2013. She would be stuck with a ring from a high school she didn't graduate from.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
~I was homeschooled but I have one. Mine was $90. We ordered from a brochure and picked it up at a local appliance place. This was back in the olden days before we had a Walmart. :D
I think I was 16 when I got mine and I was working by then so I could have paid for it myself. I still wear it. I love it!
Is your DD 14? I'd just wait if I were you. You can save and get it for her Junior year.~
She is 15 I told her dad we could get one for her Birthday thats in July.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Personally, I'd rather have a $600 ring. Not a class ring, just a pretty small ring. I'd know what it was for and what it meant. I liked High School and I still remember where and when I graduated. I don't need jewelry to remind me.

I did in fact get a class ring (gift) wore it for a couple months and it went into the jewelry box. Not worth the money.

·
Registered
461 Posts
No they just offer it to who ever hasn't gotten one yet. I told my daughter what if for some odd reason we would move in 2012 or 2013. She would be stuck with a ring from a high school she didn't graduate from.

This happened to my DH his senior year.

My class ring was ordered from Montgomery Ward when it was still around... My ring has been gone for years though. Pretty sure it was stolen from an ex-friend. :(

I've thought about getting a new one from Walmart but am so unsure if I want the "memory" of the 1st one being stolen instead of it being a memory of high school.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My mom and I went to the same high school. We could not afford to get a ring when I was in high school so my mom had my initials and my graduation year engraved on the inside of her old class ring (which fit me perfectly) and no one knew the difference. It cost less than $30 to get it engraved and it meant a lot more to me than a new one. I only wore it a year or two, but I still have it. :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Both my kids rings came from Walmart. We could not afford them otherwise. I do have mine that I got through school. I don't wear it anymore but it is a special treasure. One of the few from my high school years.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My class ring was the one high school memento my dad insisted on me getting and buying for me. Of course, I went the cheapest route available then ($70, I think).

Kind of funny, I ended up getting a lot of high school things, letter jacket, yearbook, etc for free because of what groups I was involved in. So I was fine. Then when I mentioned that it was ring time and I didn't care, that's when my dad pulled me up short. He still had his and he wore it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.