Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a Zojirushi fuzzy logic type cooker and looking online for info on how to cook the oats in rice cookers vary all over the place. Website has 4:1 ratio on porridge settings other places tell you 3:1 on white rice or porridge setting and a few other ideas. What do you do? Do you rinse your oats first? Do you measure with the rice cooker measuring cup or standard cup?
We'd like to set it the night before and have it waiting for us in morning.
Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I think the ratio of water depends on your texture preference. I'm guessing it'd be the same ratio that you use to cook it on the stove. I suggest trying it with that ratio to start and you can add or remove the water til you figure out your own personal balance in that rice cooker.

The best trick: put it in the rice cooker overnight so it has time to 'soak' and plump up then turn on the cooker in the am and it will be ready in 15 mins or so :)

How to Cook Oatmeal in a Rice Cooker | eHow.com

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I think I'll try oatmeal in the rice cooker this way. Thanks Libby. :) I would probably throw a few raisins in when it's cooking.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Sorry can't help with the rice cooker. BUT steel cut oats in the crockpot with dehydrated fruit of ANY kind is killer! Hubby thinks he hit the jackpot. I make a batch and put it in single serving containers and he heats it in the microwave and eats it on the way to work.

I wasn't too keen on oatmeal until I tried making the steel cut oats in the crockpot. I just got back from the store and buying craisins cuz I ran out - LOL!

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
I have not done oats in a cooker, but I have done them on the stove. I start them by toasting them in butter for a little bit, maybe 2 minutes. You want them to just barely start browning. This adds SO MUCH flavor! Then add water and cook as normal.

You would not want to rinse them, I think, as then you would not get the thick porridge consistency that oatmeal is supposed to have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.