Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pans, dutch ovens etc? I don't currently own any. I did used to have a few pans, but sold them at the flea market and never used them myself.

Sara

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I grew up with cast iron and still have several pieces. I own one that is older than me! (yes, I AM as old as the hills! :) ). I don't use them on a daily basis, but they are great for roasts, chili, stews, and fried chicken.

·
DebbieBob
1,692 Posts
My hubby will only make his jambalaya and dirty rice in his cast iron pan, its like his baby LOL

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yep. We have a big c/i skillet. Dh loves fried eggs in it. I make just about everything with it...well, I did until I got my new T-fal pots and pans. :D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I got dh a set out of a mail order catalog. It was $17.00, and it came with 2 pans, a griddle and a dutch oven with a lid. They are awesome! They are our outdoor cookware. If you're frying something you know will smoke up the house- just pop it on the grill. Yesterday, it was too hot to cook in the house, but I wanted to bake some chicken breasts with stuffing. I just threw everything in the dutch oven and put it on the grill. The chicken cooked in about 1/2 the time that way than it does in the oven.

Laura

Reactions: onencgirl

·
Registered
487 Posts
We use cast iron skillets, I really like them as good as the non stick skillets I cook everything in them. Will not give them up. If you have them season right, they are good,:paw:

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I have several dutch ovens and frying pans, I mostly use them now for my camp-cooking..on rare ocassions i use them inside but not like I used to

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I can not seem to get them seasoned right. They get all caked up, my sister says they are subposed to be that way . She says she washes hers in soap & water , but I heard that will rust them...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
we also use cast iron. My mother has it all. and i miss it so much. we use dutch oven when we are camping. Chili in a c/i oven nothing better than that.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I use my cast iron all the time. Captclearance, they will only rust if you don't wipe a little oil on the inside after you wash it with soap and water. Just take a paper towel, put a little oil on it and wipe around the inside. It will be just fine and ready for the next recipe.

I empty mine, fill with hot water and use a wire scrubby. I don't like to just wipe it out. No soap except on the bottom to remove any grease.

If you are iron poor or anemic, use iron cookware as much as you can. Especially with acidic foods like spaghetti sauce or chilli. The acid absorbs the iron out of the skillet and you get more iron in your meal. Anyway that is what I have always heard.

I don't use mine daily but I do use it for almost everything that is fried or that is a sauce. I have one favorite and then the set that I use occasionally.

Mine are also older than me. They are about 50 to 60 years old now atleast. I love em.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I did till I melted a plastic spatula on mine when I was cooking a steak. Learned my lesson that cast iron and plastic do not agree! Figure it wouldn't be too safe to use with plastic ingrained into the cast iron.... It is definitely a lot of maintenance although I did love it when I had it for a short bit... I bought the cheap Lodge ones from walmart.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I love my cast iron. In fact, other than a few things that I haven't thrown out yet to please DH, all I have is cast iron. I love the stuff.

I have a huge huge cast iron skillet that I use for making dinners in. It is big enough to make enough for dinner, DH a lunch for the next day, and some leftovers for another meal. I also figure that the weight of them keep me in shape.

I got sick of having to buy new pans/skillets every time I turned around. So, I started buying up cast iron at thrift stores. I also found a handful of Griswold and Wagner ones. I collect them.

·
Registered
787 Posts
i have several pieces. one that was my grandmothers mother's.

i use them for everything but hamburger. i wash mine daily with soap and water, but coat it with shortening right after.

i don't brown hamburger in it. but once the hamburger is browned, like it would be for chili or spaghetti sauce, then i use them.

i make everything in them. have for years.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I have never had cast iron, but my father is a huge Griswold fan. He has many pieces, a lot of which he uses as collectibles vs. cooking with them.

When I was a kid, I hated moving our big CI frying pan around. Man that thing was heavy!

Anyone have newbie recommendations for someone buying their first piece?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I love my cast iron skillet. I want a dutch oven and a bigger skillet, that is next on my list.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I have one large CI skillet that gets used at least once almost everyday. I'm not sure what we would do without that piece of cookware.

·
27,948 Posts
I used to collect them and display them on the kitchen walls of our first home. Here they are in the closet because I have no room for them. :glasses:
I do use 2 pieces often, my 5 qt. dutch oven with cast iron top & round 14" griddle pan. The dutch oven is used for soups, chili & pot roast. The griddle pan we use to make pizza. It's similar to this but bigger http://cgi.ebay.com/CAST-IRON-Wagne...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have a little fry pan and a 10" skillet. I don't use them often as I should because although they are seasoned, things like pancakes or fried eggs stick in them. I don't like using a lot of grease, so I more often use a non-stick pan with a little butter or olive oil.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts