Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some ideas on how to control anxiety attacks, or get rid of them.

Mine doesnt seem to be getiing any better... but worse with time.

any kind of help or ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
ME!!!!

Calms Forte... The stuff is awesome! It does say "sleep aid" on the box. It does help you sleep. I am an insomniac and have passed it down to some of the guys. They do use it as a sleep aid.

I have really really really bad test anxiety. I used to take it the night before tests and then a few in the morning before tests. I could feel the stuff kick in after I took it in the morning. I would be taking the test and all of a sudden I would feel "better" and less stressed. When I didn't take it, I didn't do as well on my tests.

I usually use "it is like chamomile tea in pill form" to give people a quick explanation.

Link provided so you can see the box:
https://www.amazon.com/Hylands-Home...F8&qid=1480133799&sr=8-3&keywords=calms+forte

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
I suffered from anxiety so bad I got almost delusional at times. St. John's Wort worked for me. I went off and on several times, the difference was amazing. It was like I got my own self back when I was on it.

A few years ago I switched to citalopram (an anti-depressant) for hot flashes. It was during this time I lost my husband. I did not like how "flat" it made me feel. I went back to SJW but when I use up this bottle I think I will go without anything. My problem is more depression than anxiety now. I can deal with the depression.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Pinetree, I'm sorry! Have you considered food allergy as a cause of anxiety? It can cause/trigger anxiety. Testing is expensive but you could do a challenge diet which is just eliminating certain foods for a period of time to see if your symptoms get better, then adding that food back to see if they get worse.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I will ask the Dr. if I can take any of those.
The more I read on this, well, its not something you would wish on people..
This sure isn't like depression, but it sure can grab you my the ankles and pull you into a big downward spiral!

daylily, I'm not sure it would be food now, I cant eat anything processed, no salt, no fat, low carbs, theres not much I can have now. But I will check into it, just incase it is!!

Thank you for all the suggestions, its nice knowing I m not alone!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Pinetree, it usually is your favorite food because that's what you eat the most! And it can be a healthy food ...for someone else! For instance garlic and onions give me insomnia as well as a tummy ache. It took me a couple of years to figure it out because I loved onions so much that I was in denial. HOpe you get it all figured out.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
daylily, I can try it. i was tested yrs ago and it came up beef, but I guess things can change also. Its got to be something thats yr. round, I eat alot of fruit and veggies, but seasonal, I wall look into it more, Thanks for the extra information and help on that! I really do appreciate it!

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi ,
I've suffered with crippling anxiety( that has lead me to delusional and paranoid thinking), I also have severe depression and have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder or schizo affective disorder depending on who's making the diagnoses.I have found that stimulants are the worst( sugar caffeine , even some herbal teas are triggers like rooibos and chamomile because they are psychoactive.) I've done a lot of research and experimentation and have been hospitalized several( over 20 ) times. My menstrual cycle also affects my moods. I have a lot of experience with anxiety and depression. What helps me is mindfulness, yoga and meditation and prayer,also grounding techniques and bilateral stimulation( rapidly tapping the left then right side of your body alternately either legs or crossed arms). It's funny how one substance can act as a miracle for one and be so bad for someone else. Our chemistry is so diverse. I have been on medication since I was about 18 so I do not know what I look like without, but I am managing quite well now holding down a job managing a house( still need to work on spending and overeating.) But those grounding techniques really work and they are so simple. They take you out of your head and into your body,where the focus is no longer on anxiety or depression. There's even more ideas , like move a muscle change a thought, do an activity like take a walk or organize a draw so many things. Good luck and I wish you well-

Patty

·
Registered
106 Posts
pinetree,

About all I can offer is hugs and sympathy!

I would ask your Dr. to review all of your medication, supplements and over the counter drugs to see if it could be related to a drug interaction.

The only other thing that I have found helpful is to face the situations that are causing the anxiety. I couple of years ago I developed a severe anxiety about driving in certain situations and it persists to this day. I have slowly conquered the fear of situations that I encounter in my local area. I still have problems when planning any sort of trip that takes me outside of my comfort zone, but I'm working on it. Just put one foot in front of the other!

Good luck!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Another one here suffering from anxiety, although I haven't taken anything for it to date. Much of my anxiety stems from being on call for my elderly parents without sufficient support from siblings who are quite happy to leave it to me. I have read the book Boundaries and this has been a life saver for me. Implementing suggestions from this book has worked well and keeps anxiety at bay. One example....I used to send regular updates to my siblings to let them know how our parents are doing. There were times I would either get criticized or ignored and so I no longer send updates. It saves me time and my sanity. I have had to change my thought patterns - putting my unsupportive siblings in a mental 'outside' box and coming to terms with the fact that I'm mainly on my own with the care. So, while previously I've stewed over the lack of help, I can now let it go and just do the best I can. I lost a lot of mental energy - that is no longer the case.

I am going to look into some of the natural remedies suggested here to see if I can get my mental state to an even calmer place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts