Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am direct sowing a good portion of my perennials this year. Has anyone been very successful direct sowing? I have a habit of looking at tiny seeds and tossing them all in a hole. LOL Not sure how kind Mother Nature will be, but we'll see.
This year Zachary planted columbine and black eyed susans. I love both and just let him dig a hole, toss seeds in, and lightly cover with dirt, and water daily.
I have about 12 packets of perennial seeds to plant still. :eek: This is the first week that our nights haven't dropped into the 30's and yet I feel like it's so late in the season. I am considering spring/summer sowing instead of direct sowing. (meaning planting in a controlled environment vs. in the ground) None of my seeds seem to need a chill or cold period and are all "plant after danger of frost" types.
I just love perennials.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
A few years back, when the children were small, I had planted Cosmos seeds and another type of flower seeds, which I forget the name, but they grew so beautifully!:) If I can find a picture, I'll attach it. I was amazed at seeing them grow...:)

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Yes, Sara, I do this every year. I usually have 2 rows in my garden for just perennial seeds, they come up that year and then I transplant then around the property either that fall or the next spring. I also have a garden with rows of annuals, they look so pretty and I use those for cutting flowers to bring in the house or give away. I hadn't done this until we moved here three years ago and I love it. A package of seed goes far......... Good luck with your flowers and enjoy them!!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I haven't tried that with perennials here because our season is so short. The only time I've planted seed direct was when we were in the city and I planted a butterfly flowerbed with wild flower seed. It turned out wonderful.

I plan on doing that again probably next year. In the fall, I'm working at putting in more flowerbeds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts