Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I have been getting estimates to have our foyer painted. It is a 2 story foyer with 17 foot wall to ceiling. The estimates seem high and we were thinking of doing this ourselves. We have to buy a ladder to reach.

Anyone ever painted a wall that tall? If so..what advice can you give, or do you think we should just leave it to the professionals? the estimate came in at $800. We think this is high.

thanks

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I have the SAME problem ~ we have a 2-story foyer/entry and the estimates that I have gotten are between $600 - $800

I've painted every other room by myself, and I don't mind painting what I can reach of the entry, but I'm not brave enough or talented enough to paint the high wall - or around the arched window - so I'm going to get an estimate from a "handy man" ((no job too small)) type of business & see how much if I do all the low stuff - and I buy the paint....

I'll let you know what type of estimates I get with the handy man services, I realize that we are certainly in different areas, but I don't think your estimate was all that outrageously high (considering where you live/compared to where I live)

be careful if you do it yourself. :D

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow $800 is pretty high, I would keep checking around. JMHO :)

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
We've only painted 11ft high rooms ourselves. We have a two story foyer...kind of. Our foyer leads right up the stairs. We'd like to have the wallpaper stripped but I am NOT climbing 25 feet up a ladder ON the stairs. So I would definitely hire someone else to do it lol.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
That does seem high. DH and I have been getting estimates to have our living room, dining area and kitchen painted. The estimates are ranging from $1100 to 1300.

Oh...and I'd make sure they are insured and ask for references.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Can you rent the ladder from Home Depot? That maydefray some costs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
DH and myself bought a home built in 1923 when we bought it 18 years ago everything in the house and outside the house was the same color.The house had great bones and we fell in love.We knew we has a lot of work ahead of us but we did do it.Our home is a 2 story home and when we decided to paint the outside we did check to see what a painter would charge.Out of this world.So DH and me checked to see what it would be for us to do it we had to rent high pressure spray scavling sorry about bad speeling and scrapers brushes paint primer.But even all that we still saved almost $2000.00 Down side it did take 1 month alot of work.But it was worth it.We have also changed the inside of the house just me and DH.I have only hired a roofer to put our new roof on.But I do enjoy doing home inprovment.I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I don't think it seems like an outrageous price. We have an open 2-story staircase and the quotes we received were comparable. We (meaning I) ended up doing it ourselves, but I was terrified and my legs were shaking from fear the whole time. When it comes time to repaint, we're going to hire someone to do it.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Think about what your paying for.
The paint at least 2 to 3 gallons. The time at least a day.
The necesary equipment, ladder, brushes, drop clothes, etc. Then there are the costs you don't know about like General Libailtiyt Insurance to cover the paint if he puts the ladder throught a window. And Workers Comp Insurnace if he falls and gets hurt. Then there are trade licenses and bonds. All the itmes needed to do business. I've stood on those ladders and cut in the line at the ceiling and the wall not an easy task. So your also paying for skill and experience. Remember everyone wants to feel valued in their job. And good work isn't cheap.

Laurie in Bradenton (be painting for 20 years)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Think about what your paying for.
The paint at least 2 to 3 gallons. The time at least a day.
The necesary equipment, ladder, brushes, drop clothes, etc. Then there are the costs you don't know about like General Libailtiyt Insurance to cover the paint if he puts the ladder throught a window. And Workers Comp Insurnace if he falls and gets hurt. Then there are trade licenses and bonds. All the itmes needed to do business. I've stood on those ladders and cut in the line at the ceiling and the wall not an easy task. So your also paying for skill and experience. Remember everyone wants to feel valued in their job. And good work isn't cheap.

Laurie in Bradenton (be painting for 20 years)
You had better believe it. There is no way I am taking the risk on the upper areas of the house, inside or out. I would not go up on scaffolding either, I don't want to risk falling. Then the whole painting experience would become even more expensive!LOL

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how large is your foyer? I have to hire someone to paint the walls in my stairwell because I am afraid of heights. It sounds like the walls are a similar height, but I would be interested in knowing if the square footage is in the same ballpark. I don't have $800 left in my home improvement budget this year.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 3 foyer walls are 17 ft high
One wall is 9 ft wide, one is 15 ft wide and the other is 12 ft wide.

two estimates were about 800
one was about 650... I am wondering why that one is lower
I am waiting for one more person to come

·
Registered
30 Posts
We just bought a new house and have been fixing it up before moving - have completed painting 5 rooms so far with 2 to go, and one of the rooms we finished had a cathedral ceiling - 14' (we bought a bigger ladder in order to do that room - it came out great but it was slow going). The one room we WON'T do is the foyer - it's 20+ feet and there are stairs to maneuver around - so we'll pay for that. HOWEVER, before we hire a "professional" painting company, we're going to check out the cost of renting scaffolding and if that seems reasonable (along with figuring out how to assemble it safely), then we might consider hiring a couple young people we know who are out of work and need some work. We can pay them a fair wage without having to pay for the professional 'expertise' - and supervise the job.

Oh... and just to confirm the pricing you got - last time we got quotes from a professional painting company it was roughly $450 per room - for average rooms (no high ceilings). So the $800 you were quoted seems in line - considering the extra hazards involved.

Good luck with your project!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have painted every room in our house (sometimes a few coats!) and it didn't cost more than about $500. lol Our staircase was the most difficult because the ceiling is open above it. So I had to put a ladder at the top of the stairs and paint with a paint roller on a long pole. That was fun! It wasn't that difficult, though. I had DH 'spotting' me so I wouldn't fall off the ladder.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I don't know if this will help but we bought a paint pole, I beleive at home depot, that reaches around 20 feet. It attaches to the paint roller, it worked for us. It has 3-4 sections that you can keep pulling out, to add on more length. Hope this makes sense. Think it was around 15.00.

We even attached a paint pad, it reached all the trim at the top. about 20 feet. (We painted the outside.)

·
Registered
191 Posts
i plan on painting our entire house inside and out by ourselves. luckily the ceilings arent as high as yours, but i do have a kind of paint pull. but this kind attaches to the paint bucket and uses suction to bring the paint up to the roller through a hose. I bought it to paint the condo we just moved out of in the stair well which was very high ceilings. i cant imagine what the landlord would have taken out of our deposit to pay for "touch up painting".

my rule of thumb though is dont do anything yourself you are not comfortable with. because you will be nervous the whole time.

·
Registered
525 Posts
we have reciently redone the livingroom dinning room and 2 bedrooms. we will be repainting the kitchen next. it wasnt that hard. i loved the tearing down of the wallpaper and spackelling.i felt touph and empowered! my hubby did the ceiling 12' high!!it has really made a diffrence in this house.we try to do everything ourselves before we call his parents.they own the house.it has saved some money.if only dh would fix the whole in the bathroom from fixing the tub pipes!!!i just may take that on myself.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I absolutely hate to paint but I do it because I really can't afford to have it professinally done. Painting is not an easy task to do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts