Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if I can pull this off.
My sewing skills are minimal: I can sew on buttons properly, darn socks, whip stitch, baste, and sew simple bags by hand.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Would the whole mattress be stuffed with wool? That is a lot of wool. It seems like it would be pricey unless you had your own sheep.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can get wool batting over in Montana. It will cost less than a commercial mattress, about 300-500 I think, to get a enough that even packed down (futon like) it will be about 6" thick

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I was thinking about the time I dabbled in spinning wool. The undyed fiber was something like $20 a pound.

It would cost quite a bit to make a matress at that rate.

Although that is combed and carded wool so that would be more than raw wool.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Depends on the price you can get on the wool. I'd be interested in your experience in doing this, although I probably wouldn't do it myself. The question I have is: wouldn't it be overly warm in summer?

·
Super Moderator
19,670 Posts
I know hand carded wool would pack down and also form lumps. You would end up sleeping in a bowl. I wouldn't use it, especially at that price.

I got a standard twin mattress for our camper last year for $99 and tax. Larger sizes weren't much more. If you watch sales and go for the budget styles or mismatched sets, mattresses are pretty inexpensive now. You don't really need a box spring either. Our bed sits on a platform I made using a drawer base from a waterbed. I use the drawers to store bedding. Our mattress rests on OSB on top the drawer base. Personally, I consider box springs useless and a waste of perfectly good storage space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts