Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,528 Posts
I know hand carded wool would pack down and also form lumps. You would end up sleeping in a bowl. I wouldn't use it, especially at that price.

I got a standard twin mattress for our camper last year for $99 and tax. Larger sizes weren't much more. If you watch sales and go for the budget styles or mismatched sets, mattresses are pretty inexpensive now. You don't really need a box spring either. Our bed sits on a platform I made using a drawer base from a waterbed. I use the drawers to store bedding. Our mattress rests on OSB on top the drawer base. Personally, I consider box springs useless and a waste of perfectly good storage space.

·
Super Moderator
24,528 Posts
What did you ever decide about this idea?

I should have mentioned my previous post I wasn't theorizing. My grandmother slept on a handmade wool mattress and that's how I know it packed down and became bowl shaped. I can't recall all the details anymore but I do know we sometimes took it apart and recarded all the wool so the mattress could be reassembled. I assume the wool was probably washed before reassembly, too, another big chore. Grandma raised sheep so getting more wool as needed wasn't a problem for her.

Have you thought about organic foam mattresses? I don't know much about them, just what the ads say. Might be worth a look. They sound environmentally friendly but I don't know if they are or not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts