Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently started studying/practising Wicca, and was wondering who else out there is actively practising a non-Christian religion.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Buddhism here

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
How would you define 'actively practising'. My religion is solitary and consists only of a series of beliefs on which I try to base all my actions. I do not belong to any group or participate in any rituals. Aside from two of the cross-quarters I typically only acknowledge the holidays with quiet personal reflection, although I am trying to do a little something with the kids as they get older.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Wicca here, but not really active with it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm Wiccan. :gwitch: Kitchen Witch actually. :stir: :D

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have heard of Wiccan, Can you tell me what that is? I know I may be old and wise, but I am always learning.

·
Registered
546 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I try to follow some of the Buddist principals of how to treat people and patience, I also enjoy some of the wiccan principals of respect for nature and creating positive energies...with crystals and incense.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
We are practicing Wiccans here. Most of the rituals we practice were passed down through my mom's side of the family. I think the classification that they used at the last convention I went to was "Italian Agricultural Paganism". Fancy title but it is just stuff my family has always done. I don't do the moon rituals as often as I would like and the Sabbats are split between me and the ex with the kids. My SO and I do a morning ritual to focus positive energy on our day.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
How would you define 'actively practising'. My religion is solitary and consists only of a series of beliefs on which I try to base all my actions. I do not belong to any group or participate in any rituals. Aside from two of the cross-quarters I typically only acknowledge the holidays with quiet personal reflection, although I am trying to do a little something with the kids as they get older.
Living your religion counts as practising in my book - I think having and celebrating your beliefs through actions and daily living matter more than participating in rituals or throwing big parties for holidays. I know people who were brought up or baptised a certain religion, but have disregarded it - so they consider themselves a "non-practising" whatever.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Vedanta here -- one of the more philosophical branches of Hinduism. I'm in the Sri Ramakrishna tradition, initiated by a monk of that order. It's principle spiritual disciplines are meditation and mantra. I agree that actively practising means living out the principles, being aware of them and having them underlying, "coloring" all our actions and attitudes. I don't observe many of the days in the tradition, often because they just slip by unnoticed. I forget to check when they are. Once I asked for Shivaratri off, and my then boss was a little startled but said, "Sure, whatever. If you were Jewish, I would let you off for the high holy days." Vadantist in a Christian culture -- double holidays! The group I am associated with is in Washington DC, a long, long way from Louisiana, so I rarely have the benefit of their company and miss it sorely. It can be discouraging trying to remain focused and motivated without anyone around who shares one's views and values. I laugh and tell them I just have lousy location karma.

I'm interested to see several of you are Wiccans. I don't know much about it, but respect what I do. It sounds like a rich tradition. I once thought I would end up a Buddhist, but then fell in love with Ramakrishna, so ended up there. It's been quite a trek -- from Southern Baptist to Catholic nun to Vedanta. Life is truly full of surprises!

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Born and raised Catholic, "converted" to Wicca after being introduced to it by my ex-husband at around 17 years old. I love it. I walk the "Kitchen Witch" path -- I keep saying, "What better life partner for a kitchen witch than a chef" to :smooch:. :laugh:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Raised Catholic but no longer one....actually am agnostic and leaning closer to atheist but still searching. I don't believe in religion but I find Wicca, Buddhism and Paganism fascinating and are groups I want to explore.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I am a non-Christian. I am a practicing "Realist". I believe in that which science and facts support. I think the earth is about 6 billion years old, and that Darwin was right. I enjoy my life, and try to give of myself to others. I think the earth is just a great place to live, and I hope humankind doesn't screw it up to the point that it becomes uninhabitable. Even if a disaster like an asteroid or nuclear holocaust were to wipe out all life on this planet, I think eventually life would come back. It may take millions of years, but I think the planet would heal, and the whole thing would start over again. So whatever that makes me, those are my beliefs.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I studied Wicca years ago, but the truth is, I am just plain too LAZY to actually bother PRACTICING any religion at all, lol. I kept forgetting the sabbats and esbats until they upon me - as a solitary I guess I lacked sufficient self-discipline to pursue it actively.

I currently consider myself a nonpracticing neopagan ecofeminist with Anabaptist leanings, lol. Probably would fit right in with the Unitarians.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I dont practise any religion but am very interested in Wicca and would like to learn more

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Raised Catholic but no longer one....actually am agnostic and leaning closer to atheist but still searching. I don't believe in religion but I find Wicca, Buddhism and Paganism fascinating and are groups I want to explore.
Similar here. I was actually raised in an Atheist household, "rebelled" a bit by trying out my friends' Christianity, and then ran back to Atheism as I have a wealth of problems with organized religion.

I am inspired by Buddha's teachings, though Buddhism isn't really a religion.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Acidcookie - your story sounds familiar to mine. Raised in an agnostic household, decided to rebel and become a christian, and later rebelled again and found my current path - solitary Wiccan.

My dH is catholic, born, raised, and still :) which leads to some interesting discussions in our house...lol

1 - 20 of 173 Posts