Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new Disc. Card today w/new acct. number.......with a notice stating they were
issuing it due to the possibility that my info could have been compromised.........old card didn't exp. until 2014.

Anyone else get this?

Tried digging around online and didn't find much about it........
Went online and nothing looks fishy on my acct.

Was wondering............

·
3,593 Posts
Nothing like that here.

I wouldn't use the card. You should verify with Disc card before you do anything with it.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
And use the phone number you know to be discover not the number in the letter or on the back of the card

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The new acct. number matches the one on their site.....BTDT.....so it was legit. Card was okay.......just wondering where/when/how they got breached......or what is going on........

I did have a fraud alert on all the C.B. reporting.......maybe they just checked my cr. report, saw that, and issued a new card.

i would also sign up for identity protection with them. I did. They update you if they suspect anything fishy, or not.
I am responsible for zero dollars on it.........can't see paying them to monitor it........I can do that myself, online, any time.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
I have had Discover for ever. I didn't receive anything. I have to say I am very impressed with Discover. Anytime we have had an unusual charge they have called us.

When our numbers were stolen a few years back they fixed it in a flash. It took all of a 5 min phone call. We of course were liable for none of the $1700 in fraud.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I haven't received anything like that from Discover either. I also have been with them forever. They have called me when I made unusual charges to verify they were legit. I also had my card number stolen year ago and over $5,000 worth of charges where removed and a new card issued.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
I haven't received anything like that from Discover either. I also have been with them forever. They have called me when I made unusual charges to verify they were legit. I also had my card number stolen year ago and over $5,000 worth of charges where removed and a new card issued.
I found them much easier to deal with when we had fraud than I did our credit union.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anytime we have had an unusual charge they have called us.
I have been pleased with them too.......and seems like I have had them forever, but the past help is why I keep them too. Will always use my Discover unless that merchant doesn't accept it.

They really stepped up to help when I was fighting with Paypal........and PP backed right down.......no more problems.

It is probably like MW said..........just was wondering if anyone knew what merchant...........or what happened. Curious......

Or.........if it was the fraud alert that I put on my CR that triggered it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The new acct. number matches the one on their site.....BTDT.....so it was legit. Card was okay.......just wondering where/when/how they got breached......or what is going on........

I did have a fraud alert on all the C.B. reporting.......maybe they just checked my cr. report, saw that, and issued a new card.

I am responsible for zero dollars on it.........can't see paying them to monitor it........I can do that myself, online, any time.
No they prevent fraud outside of it too. Alert you if anybody opens any accounts in your name. Or uses any of your info on criminal prone websites etc.. Just a thought :^)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discover card compromised

I remember reading that Citibank was hacked and that card holders whose accounts may have been compromised were notified and issued new cards. Is Discover card issued by Citibank ? I know that my Sears credit card is. You can look on the back of your card in the fine print and it will tell the name of the card issuer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.