Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Licence to Kill
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this question has a variety of angles...wondering what others would do.

So, I caught covid...wasn't fun, but I know it could have been worse. Rested at home, back to health (thankful for that!).

Totally recovered without issue, with the caveat of taste. Specifically, just one thing. Coffee.

For anyone else who has a special relationship with this beverage, you can imagine how I'm feeling.

What was my "thing", my go-to beverage for energy, for comfort...what was part of my daily routine, what was part of time visiting with friends, what was ingrained in my daily routine...now, tastes weird, at best. Yeah. :(

I have been just "drinking it anyway" most of the time since covid. It started out tasting bad to me. But, it was/is so ingrained in my life, I just drank it, anyway. Much of the enjoyment was gone, but the comfort of habit/routine carried it through.

Today, I would politely say it tastes "different". Not as bad as it did, but definitely not good. Frankly, I'm wondering if I have adapted to the new, not so fabulous, taste. I did a little reading on the subject. Looks like this is likely a permanent change.

One would think that if something didn't taste YUM and wasn't a "basic nutrition" item, it would just get a hard pass.

I would have thought that. But, here I sit. Another day gone by, another day where I drank it, anyway.

Really, it should probably just be phased out, and I've tried a couple times, but I come back to it by the next day. (Note: I drink in the about 2 cups a day; not enough to have horrible caffeine withdrawals or anything).

The frugal part of me wants to just stop drinking it (we all know coffee can add up). The part of me that wants to make the most of calories I intake would say I should just stop (hello creamer). Yet, the part of me that loves the routine, the time sipping a cup with friends, keeps pulling me back. (On the "substitute something else in" side of things...I don't care for hot cocoa and tea is just okay.)

What would you all do? TIA. :)

· Registered
13,262 Posts
Sorry to hear you caught the bug, but glad you are recovered. The change in taste thing is real, I know other people who had it happen, but they got their taste back. That's too bad about the coffee.

I'm not someone who believes coffee is bad for you (unless it causes problems like nervousness or loss of sleep) so I wouldn't say you should just give it up. It's been a pleasure and a comfort to you for years. You obviously want to keep enjoying it.

The change in taste may not be permanent. I'm not sure we know yet. Has anything else changed? The brand you buy? Type of creamer or sweetener? The way you make it? If nothing has changed are you willing to make changes, like trying a different coffee, sweetener, or style of drink? An espresso is not the same as a cafe au lait but both are coffee drinks.

Can you still smell coffee? Do the beans or ground coffee smell right? If yes, perhaps you can focus on that. Smell and taste are very connected. It's odd that it's only affecting ONE flavor for you. Is it?

You might give it up for two weeks and re-introduce a fresh can and see what happens.

I would keep trying things.

· Licence to Kill
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear you caught the bug, but glad you are recovered. The change in taste thing is real, I know other people who had it happen, but they got their taste back. That's too bad about the coffee.

I'm not someone who believes coffee is bad for you (unless it causes problems like nervousness or loss of sleep) so I wouldn't say you should just give it up. It's been a pleasure and a comfort to you for years. You obviously want to keep enjoying it.

The change in taste may not be permanent. I'm not sure we know yet. Has anything else changed? The brand you buy? Type of creamer or sweetener? The way you make it? If nothing has changed are you willing to make changes, like trying a different coffee, sweetener, or style of drink? An espresso is not the same as a cafe au lait but both are coffee drinks.

Can you still smell coffee? Do the beans or ground coffee smell right? If yes, perhaps you can focus on that. Smell and taste are very connected. It's odd that it's only affecting ONE flavor for you. Is it?

You might give it up for two weeks and re-introduce a fresh can and see what happens.

I would keep trying things.
Thanks for the reply! :)

Same coffee, creamer, sweetener - made the same way.

No, it's doesn't smell the same, either. :(

I found quite a few articles where others, post-covid, had the same experience - often, just with coffee. Many seem to say it smells/tastes like gasoline, fish, etc. There must be something about that compound???

I hadn't thought of taking a break for a set amount of time and then trying it, again. Maybe that would make it an easier call?

· Registered
13,262 Posts
My thought was that if you re-introduced the flavor after an extended break, it might help you "forget" the bad flavor and allow your taste buds to rest. I know our tongues have different chemical pathways for different compounds. I don't know for sure what's affecting you, I don't understand this any more than the doctors do. I did have a similar experience a couple years ago when I was on chemotherapy drugs. Only things I could taste was salt and capsaicin (hot peppers), everything else was cardboard. I hope you find a way through this.

· Registered
965 Posts
I have heard of this. Strange!
some friends of mine probably had covid in the early days before it was being tested for and had lingering issues. They got their first shot, I think Moderna, a couple of weeks ago and about a week later, their lingering symptoms cleared up. They are delighted. I don't know if it was the vaccine or co-incidence. Their senses of taste were mostly back and it had been just over a year since they were sick. They are older and still had lingering numbness and tingling in arms and fingers. Last I talked to them, it was all gone.

I hope your lingering symptoms are resolved soon! I'm so sorry you got ill and glad you made it through.

· Licence to Kill
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thought was that if you re-introduced the flavor after an extended break, it might help you "forget" the bad flavor and allow your taste buds to rest. I know our tongues have different chemical pathways for different compounds. I don't know for sure what's affecting you, I don't understand this any more than the doctors do. I did have a similar experience a couple years ago when I was on chemotherapy drugs. Only things I could taste was salt and capsaicin (hot peppers), everything else was cardboard. I hope you find a way through this.
It's definitely a good idea! Tucking the Keurig into a cabinet this afternoon and holding off for 2 weeks, like you suggested. We'll see what happens! :)

· Licence to Kill
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard of this. Strange!
some friends of mine probably had covid in the early days before it was being tested for and had lingering issues. They got their first shot, I think Moderna, a couple of weeks ago and about a week later, their lingering symptoms cleared up. They are delighted. I don't know if it was the vaccine or co-incidence. Their senses of taste were mostly back and it had been just over a year since they were sick. They are older and still had lingering numbness and tingling in arms and fingers. Last I talked to them, it was all gone.

I hope your lingering symptoms are resolved soon! I'm so sorry you got ill and glad you made it through.
I'm glad they recovered! It's definitely weird!

I was one of the small percentage of people who did not loose taste or smell, so I thought I had completely escaped that entire area of effect. All other food tastes the same as before. Nothing else bothering me, thankfully!

· Registered
113 Posts
I have had tingling is my arms for a few years. It has finally stopped. It was waking me up at night. I had Covid in Nov. of 2019, after taking a cruise to all the hot spots, and traveling with thousands of people from China. Now I have some tingling in my fingertips. I wonder if it's related? I am in my late fifties. Thankfully, I don't have any of the other issues, though. It took a while...

· Registered
1,244 Posts
in my bout with Covid I lost my sense of smell and taste. That was in January of 2021 and while both have improved I am not back to pre-covid levels. I can smell stronger scents like coffee, pizza, baking bread but light scents like flowers, roasting chicken etc I cannot smell unless I purposely stand right up to the item to smell it. My doctor had said if it hadn’t come back in a year it most likely would not. So I’m resigned to that fate although there’s always a chance it’ll come back. It didn’t alter my tastes though - what taste did come back tastes the same as it always did.

· Registered
32 Posts
My significant other's experience with coffee changed Big Time since having covid. He changed brands (Folgers to Maxwell House), to no avail, and then tried instant (Great Value brand so it's cheap!) and voila, likes his coffee again. He just has 1 big cup a day, right away in the morning - once in a great while, he has a cup later on in the day but not very often. Amazing...no coffee maker on the counter anymore...not that I ever minded that! I never learned to like coffee.

· Registered
2,916 Posts
well couple months after posting here... got it bad last spring but my sense of smell and taste got heightened didn't lose it. Which you guys knows you don't want sometimes! cat boxes etc. But I have heard of that with coffee often with covid people lost that taste.

· Registered
13,262 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts