Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With everything that has been thrown at my family & I this past year, I have "that feeling" that the next year will be as rough..or rougher than what we have experienced.( those "feelings" have been proven to be true in the past)
So, I have taken inventory of everything that we have in our stockpiles and have taken notes on what we have. This includes my fabric & yarn stockpiles. I have found myself already working on Christmas presents for 2012 ( we have barely squeaked by this year), clothing for the family, etc....just getting ready for what may lay ahead for us. I know that what I am feeling isn't silly....there are times where I have had a "6th sense" about things & next year is one of them. Is anyone else feeling this?? Just curious...please share:)

·
19,119 Posts
I'm still juggling so much from this year that I have not even thought about next year. Totally agree that you should give your feelings the credibility that they deserve. Mahalo for sharing!!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have sort of gotten this feeling lately too. We're in a tough spot, and I think there are more of them to come - for various reasons. That is why my plan is to get us back on track as quick as possible in the new year. I want to get my stockpile of household / groceries / pet supplies built back up and get our savings back in order. Even if nothing happens and it is our best year ever, I'll feel better knowing that I have the things in place in case something goes wrong later on down the road. Guess things are just so up and down now that I want to be prepared "just in case". It would really set my mind at ease if nothing else.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Yep, same here. We've been talking about it the past week. Business is almost non existent and we've talked to the lawyer about if it's possible to go back in and file a Chapter 7 instead of the Chapter 13 payback. But for now we're still plugging along. That would be the last straw.

When customers come in most all say they don't think next year is going to be any better at best. Out of 10 customers that come in I'd say 6 to 7 are unemployed.

The only New Years resolution I've made is come January I'm going back into survival mode. The trailer is almost done. It's actually cool. Everything is new cause it had to be totally totally stripped down to and including wiring. Should be no problems ( knock on wood ) so fairly confident on that end. We went heavy on insulation so we're figuring our electric bill should be low. We left the house here to go there one day a couple weeks ago and the house was 77. When we got to the trailer it was 70 inside. No air was on. Maybe more of a heating issue than cooling. But since this is Florida that shouldn't last long as a problem.

Having some vehicle issues. Tires have been replaced in expectation of the coming year. Rest we'll deal with as or if they happen

Stockpile is being worked on again. Did a lot today and will continue. Doing more of the expensive items as those would be the hardest to come up with money for. Taxables as food stamps dosen't buy them should we have to go that far. But my stockpile style has changed.

Clothing...going to pick up some sweat shirts/pants, socks etc. Other than that we're pretty good.

But yeah, know exactly what you mean and I've had that same feeling for several months. So come January I'm stockpiling every dime I can, without giving up life, along with groceries/taxables. I'm not going to make myself miserable but am going to be very, very concious of all money spent. Actually I've already started an emergency fund. If the business fails and he has to take early social security it will probably be 6 months before it kicks in and there is no "retirement fund". That went out the window staving off the inevitable bankruptcy.

You're not alone.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yup, the latter half of this year sucked majorly, and I don't foresee it getting any better any time soon. I'm trying to work as much as I can, but I can only do so much with two under two and my income is still falling several hundred short each month from my expenses. I'm going back to school in January so that eventually we will be out of this rut. I'm already overwhelmed as a single working mother of two girls under two, I don't even want to know how stressed I'm going to be adding college student to my resume as well! Most days lately I just want to curl up in a ball and hide under a blanket, but for my girls sake I will put a smile on my face and keep chugging along!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Gerald celente-trends predictor. Utube. Real estate values to drop 25-30% more. More joblessness,riots,America loses status in the world.

Yeah that feeling alright. We're not at the bottom yet.
I feel like a vulture bird-estate sales,foreclosures,Garage sales and auctions. Tomorrow xmas shopping at the Gibralter trade center.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Gerald celente-trends predictor. Utube. Real estate values to drop 25-30% more. More joblessness,riots,America loses status in the world.

Yeah that feeling alright. We're not at the bottom yet.
I feel like a vulture bird-estate sales,foreclosures,Garage sales and auctions. Tomorrow xmas shopping at the Gibralter trade center.
Oh boy, I hope not :(

We were at the mall tonight to do an exchange and it. was. packed.

Crazy packed.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Well me too but this guy is scary amazing at what he does.
I was at target and Joannes fabric too because DD teaches jewelry there. Packed. Carts loaded. Credit sales.
I was revamping a sewing machine for her. Bobbins and such. 20% off for my text.
When things are overwhelming people kick into denial. Check out the utube. Dare ya,will change your outlook. He predicted the marches and protests (occupy) this spring and here we are. That one I didn't believe.
Sorry about the hijack

·
19,119 Posts
It seems to easy to still use the credit cards for those who still don't get it...... and the holidays strum at those emotional strings. I'd rather be very careful than very afraid.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
No, I'm not feeling the doom. Last night I told dh that 2012 is going to be an even more good year for us. (unless he gets fired.) This year has been nothing but wonderful. I think it started with me deciding that I wasn't gonna get beaten down with depression anymore, like I did the last 2 years. (Lord, I don't say that lightly, It was so horrible, dealing with it is horrible!!) And some of you know what happens with that!! Horrible financial choices and what not...I refuse to think about what if...

Christmas is about 60% pad for and all in cash.

tuff, no money, no gift. it's not that complicated. It's rather freeing.

Think positive vibes people!!! You're not fortune tellers, so why even think about it now??? Wasted energy I say! :)

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I actually have the complete opposite train of thought. I think next year is going to be amazing for us, a chance to dig out from the craphol of a year that was 2011.

I'm getting plans in order now, to maximize the awesomeness that my 2012 is going to be.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Not buying the gloom and doom.

Jobs are increasing in our area and there are other indicators that things are starting to move in the right direction. Jobs are also moving back to the US from other countries and that's a growing trend that we're seeing mentioned more and more from around the country.

Aside from that, I have a choice to either sit around stewing and waiting for the sky to fall, or take action to make next year something good. I see no advantage in dwelling on the negative and allowing bad thoughts to become self-fulfilling prophecy. Most of the time, life is exactly what you make of it, and the attitude you take has a lot to do with the quality of your life, even if something bad does happen.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Anyone who does not feel the world is in a mess that will take a couple life times to improve isn't paying attention. That said, I do my best to stay stocked up, live frugally, etc. I refuse to put my head in the sand and pretend everything is peachy keen.

However, I do not let fear of the future suck the joy from my day to day life. I'm a Christian and I try to live by faith not fear. I have God's promise to always be by my side no matter what happens so what is there to fear? I do believe that God intends us to use our brains and to be good stewards of all He's provided so that's where stocking up and living frugally come in.

I find great peace in knowing I have food in my pantry, supplies for health, cleaning supplies and an emergency fund in place. I don't have to think about those things because they're taken care of. When I use something from storage, I replace it, shopping done.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
For me, it's not going to get any easier; it's going to get more and more difficult. But I'm committed to surviving the tough times, and my pension is now only 7 years away.

This year, our widespread flood situation caused economic havoc, job losses and all kinds of displacement and expense. The impact on my employment was significantly high, so opportunity to earn the dollars is now severely less. So the next best thing is to make the most of what I have, spend the dollars I do have very carefully, and use my extra time for resourcing and saving money that way.
That's ok; I remember my growing up years, when we had next-to-nothing, but we survived. We just didn't give up, kept going no matter what, and did all we could with our resources. It's a good formula.

We can't change what is happening all around the world, it will impact on all of us, but we can be sober and vigilant and prepared to face it as best we can.

I'm thinking of the dirty 30's, when grasshopper plagues took the crops and threw people into bankrupcy and poverty. Somebody got the recipe for fried grasshoppers, and when word of it got out, his phone didn't stop ringing off the hook for a week; everyone wanted the recipe. People survive, when they have to and want to.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
For our particular family thing are going to be tighter. Child #2 will graduate and start college. Child #3 will get his license. Not sure # 6 will be able to continue her piano lessons which she loves. Inflation keeps nibbling away and i have had health challenges. My dad and his wife are both I'll as is one of dh's sisters and we're the stable helpers. Just feeling overwhelmed.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm happy to read some optimism in this thread. Unfortunately for us I can't share it. Just today the headline in the paper here was "2011: Gray Year. 2012: Black Year." "Things" are predicted to be much worse here in 2012 in literally EVERY conceivable way. That includes us, of course.

I'm hard at work on the stockpile. It's one of the only things that I feel good and proactive about. It makes me feel secure and like I'm taking action to provide for my family. It serves as a buffer against whatever happens "out there."

2012 could mean anything for us. We could emigrate. Our country could change currencies. DH could lose his job; his salary has already been reduced to about 1/2 of what it was only 6 months ago. Our health insurance could be blacklisted again. Or, we could start to see things improve. With all the hard work we've done in the past year, we should have VASTLY reduced expenses next year (we had to travel a great deal in 2010, and to furnish an entire apartment in 2011, in 2012 we don't have anything like that as far as we know, and we have a great stockpile now!).

So I'm worried and I do have a very bad feeling about 2012 - but I'm also willing to work hard to make it as good as I can.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I honestly feel that things have not hit bottom yet. Until our country is ready to face some really "hard" choices. To me most of them are not hard, but in view of the mentality of a good share of our country that they really should not have to work for what they get, that everything should just be given to them. We are going to be faced with more, and more of the issues that accompany that type of mentality.

But as for me and mine we will continue to serve the Lord, and work to make sure that we and ours are taken care of.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
while we are doing just fabulous right now, i believe that this recession/depression is going to continue for at least 2 more years. our country has lost its status, the dollar now means nothgin elsewhere...and, to boot, all the unemployment benefits run out for those who have been on it for awhile, at the end of this month. i think that alone signals some tough times ahead. and not just for the people trying to stay afloat, i think that crime will hit an all time high due to desperation. this is of course, my own personal opinion....

that being said, our outlook is still positive! wishing all a happy and healthy new year

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
2012 is going to be whatever it's going to be.

That being said, I have been frantic about paying off OldMan's car, and starting to save 3 months expenses.

I revamped the entire budget system to put a lot going in to savings and NOT the main account. If it's not in the main acct, I can't spend it. Our monthly bills don't change, and I will have to make sure I stick to my grocery budget because there will be no cushion.

OldMan says there is a lot off crazy-scary stuff going on at work and even-though he's 2nd seniority, he's still afraid the managers are just going to clean house and get new people in there. He's been keeping an ear, I have been trying to plan accordingly.

I started my OAMC back up and kicking myself for not canning as much as I wanted to over the summer and early fall.

I have been working on holiday gifts for 2012 too, knitting blankets for Diva and OldMan, etc.

If "it's" going to hit the fan, I'm trying to make sure we are ready for it. I do have a box labeled "basic survival" which has collapsable 5 gallon water jugs, 2 collapsible divided sinks, clothes line, clothes pins, fishing lines in a few weights, various types of hooks, etc, etc...

I am also in the process of getting rid of a LOT of stuff in my house. I have TOO MUCH STUFF. All this unwanted stuff is taking up valuable room in the event that we villagers get a sign that it's going to get ugly and it's time to go in to super stockpile mode.

I did get Diva a winter coat a few sizes too big, bought everyone more thermals, made scarves and hats for all of us, more socks -- if the power goes out, we're going to need them here in New England.

So... that's my "not gloom & doom" but "plugging along" plan.

Reactions: Russ

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
well I am hope next year is better. so far it looks like it might be dh got a job at lows !!! starts tomorrow. So that is looking up and I have my web site up and going. I still want to get back to doing my coupons and start on next year christmas.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts