Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever traced their family tree? I have seen all kinds of sites for doing this but don't have the money to do so. Does anyone know a free way to do it? Or where to start? I have a lot of tales about the family from my father, but i do not know what was real family history or simply fairy tale. I would like to trace as far back as I can, and would like to start with my fathers side of the family any ideas where to start?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
There are sites that you can search for free... I tried, but Anderson is a very common name and I found it too hard to do.
I do have a family tree of my mom's side that my great aunt did awhile back. I would love to have my dad's side, but I couldn't do it.
I don't know a whole lot about his side. My grandfather died before I was born... and he had kids from a previous marriage. I knew my grandma, she was alive till 1991... she has brothers and sisters that were given up for adoption and no one knows who or where they all are and stuff. Its a mess. lol

Anyways.... If you do some searches you will find some sites that will help you out. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can go back to 1684 on one side!

I have a Great Aunt who did the bulk of the work. Ask any family members if they have anyone who started it. You never know.

I knew my Grandad was from a little town in southern Illinois. I didn't know much about his side, except that his Dad died when he was 10 or 11. So I wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper (you can get the address and name of the paper at the library and sometimes it's online!) My GREAT AUNT-my Grandad's sister wrote back! I had never seen her before. We knew that there was a sister, but we never met her. To make a long story short, DH and I happened to move down by where she is and we've met. She's a wonderful lady who has told me stories about growing up with my Grandad. We've even gone over to a few cemetaries and she's told me who everyone is!!! SHe's a priceless find!

Ancestry.org used to be free. Start there. You can also google. com your name or any names you're looking for.

Tonya

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
We did research on DH's dad's side and went back to 1820. I thought that was good. We went to ancestry.com too. I also use rootsweb.com for trying to find my side of the family.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Melissa, I use genforum. They have chat rooms and even professional researchers go in there and offer help and advice!
http://genforum.genealogy.com/
they are very nice and helpful to newbies. There is even a tutorial for getting started written by one of the pros there!
Here are a couple more sites that maybe useful to you, I have not done any serious research yet, want a bigger hard drive first!
http://www.greenapple.com/~cshart/chlinks2.html
http://www.archives.gov/aad/
As far as I know al these are fre resources and the genforum folks will give you more sites once htey know more of what you need.
If I can help, just drop me a line, I am still learning and use genforum mostly!
Have fun!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
My cousin traced one side of our family to 1607 at the Jamestown Colony. I think genealogy is very interesting. I have never pursued it though.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I started to do my tree. I did get 12 generations on the one side of my family. There are so many different routes for my family to take that it got to be so time consuming. I downloaded a free family tree maker from Ancestry.com But after a trial period, they want you to pay to join. I did get the free tree maker before they started to charge though. I haven't worked on it in a while. I guess I should try to get back into the groove. Good luck.

Traci

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
we've done it the hard way by going to the vital statstics departments and look through census reports. and looking for birth and death certs.
if you know anyone who is a latter day saint, they could probably help get you started as the latter day saint church has done a lot to keep track of census reports etc. if you don't know a latter day saint, you can look the churches up in the phone book and they can direct you to the nearest research library. the larger ones have a lot on microfilm and they can usually order a film for you if they don't have it. there is a fee for them to order it but that is to cover shipping and shouldn't be for than a few dollars. and the people working in the research rooms are usually really helpful if you are having trouble figuring a film out or just helping if you get stuck on something.

we havn't tried to do much online because we haven't had time lately. the last time we activly worked on dh's family tree was 5 years ago.:(

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I've been working on mine off and on for about 5 years now. I found a lot of information at the Mormon Church website.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A month later and I am still working on it. I have gotten some information from my brother, who lives in the same state as the whole rest of both sides of my family. I have gotten some information from my great grandmother as well (i bellieve she is in her late 70's early 80's...haven't found a tactful way to ask, lol). Bith have been a wealth of knowledge. But still looking around for new information as i can get the time.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
If you want a computer program to use download diet kazaa and then search. I found my upgrade for family treemaker there and it doesn't cost anything.
Jeanna

·
Registered
14 Posts
oh yea

I have been doing my family tree for abt 20 years. I have alot of lines back to 1100-1300 to 3 countries. It can be alot of fun but you need patience. You also can do it for low cost ( I spent under $100 over 20 years). There is alot of free stuff out there. Email me ok and I 'll help you get started and help along the way :) Anyone else interested can email me too.

[email protected]

Boo

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow Boo! What an amazing thing to have! I can't wait to find out where i can "get started". I have a beginning of a chart going that (counting myself) goes into four generations...a good start i think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts