Frugal Village Forums banner

Anyone get a Mothers Day gift?

6K views 35 replies 34 participants last post by  lisaflex 
#1 ·
I very rarely do and I must have been an extra good Mom this year. Ds arrived an hour or so ago and he had a dozen roses for me, and to top it off a gift card to one of my fav fast food places. Woohoo!

#2 ·
I got a wonderful double hammock and a stand, I've always wanted one!! I will be using it for years and years to come :) I got it last weekend since I have to work 2 12 hr shifts this weekend...

Reactions: mauimagic
#3 ·
DS11 made me an awesome plaque with his picture, some glitter, some hearts and MOM on it with a poem.

DS6 made me a card and some chocolate (which he ate one of them with me :lol:).

I'm waiting to see what DH does.

#4 ·
DH is doing a deep clean of both of our bathrooms in lieu of a gift. We don't have any money to spare so he is putting in sweat equity. I have to say, I appreciate this more than a gift...lol.

#5 ·
Empire Red Kitchen Aid Mixer!

#6 ·
Very impressive gifts all around!!

DH has never caught on to gift giving in all of our 30 years. At times he puts forth an effort - sweet!!

At times I think that I would really like a bunch of flowers, but it really wouldn't be him kwim?

So this year I told him that I wanted to go to the movies - Alice in wonderland. Easy enough!! we'll spend time together and both will enjoy the movie - works for me!!

#8 ·
I received two dozen midnight blue irises yesterday from my DS. First time her he has bought me flowers. They are gorgeous and so thoughtful. He must be turning into a man! :)

#9 ·
My guys hacked into my Amazon account and ordered a piano book I've been wanting. It was too cute. They didn't know I have my cell phone tied into my Amazon account. We are sitting at the dinner table and I get a text message "my Amazon order was delivered today"!?!?!?!?!? LOL. They let me open it and I love it!

#10 ·
My daughters are coming here. They always want to take me out to dinner, but noisy, crowded restaurants are not my thing. We always end up having a meal here, DH and I do the meat, I make the macaroni salad the kids love, they bring side dishes, and we all have a wonderful time.
And, DD#2 is bringing me bagels and bread from Central Market in Dallas.
It doesn't get any better.

#11 ·
~That's so nice, Darlene!
I always choose my own gift. That probably sounds strange but we started it the Mother's Day I was pregnant with my first by buying a dishwasher. It just seems like the perfect opportunity to get a big-ish present that makes my work easier or more enjoyable which helps me be a better mommy, I think. :D
I still haven't decided what I want this year. That hammock sure sounds nice! Maybe a dehydrator, food sealer system or new digital camera.
Dh usually helps the kids make cards and picks up donuts for breakfast which is really nice. :) ~

#12 ·
Hope you don't mind a story: Once upon a time my two daughters would fight HORRIBLY every single year on Mother's Day. I don't know what age it started, about the ages they could start doing stuff for me so maybe 8 or 9? Making breakfast for mom? Ended up in screaming match about who was going to do it, or who didn't clean up, oh my stars every single stupid year. I hated it, I would wake up or at some point during the day end up listening to a complete melt-down screaming match.

So, being the horrible parent that I was, after many years of that, I swore off Mother's Day. No joke. I told them all I ever wanted was a day without fighting and so then they started trying to do that. No gifts, no flowers, just NO FIGHTING. They couldn't do it. One time they started in on Saturday. hahahaa!! By this time I was emotionally removed from it all, I really didn't care but I was just perplexed. why they held it in such high regard. By this time they were into their teens, by the way, and nope still couldn't make it through a Mother's day.

Finally, one year, THEY DID IT!! They did not fight from Friday THROUGH Sunday of Mother's day weekend!!! It was my last Mother's Day with both of them at home as my oldest is now in the Navy. I completely cried I was so happy they did it. We had spent the entire day together with my mom, they were absolute angels the entire weekend. :cheergrl:

I told them that would be my best Mother's Day EVER, for the rest of my life. It truly touched my heart.

On a side note, I truly don't expect them to be able to pull it off any future years. hahahaa!! I'm ok with that.:heartsm:

Happy Mother's Day Weekend!

#13 ·
My step-daughter bought me a sweet card and silver earrings.
My daughter bought me earrings too! And a very sweet card.

Dh couldn't wait until tomorrow and gave me my gift tonight. Love it!!

#16 ·
TigerGirl, Now that's a GREAT gift. I think I'd die from complete shock if any of my men made such a gesture.LOL!

Enjoy those clean bathrooms!

#17 ·
Well I dont have any presents yet... I do know I got two books though because I picked them out at the Salvation Army store today. LOL. I am fairly certain I am getting a hanging basket since I usually do and I know dh went to the nursery yesterday to pick out baskets for his Mom and Mine. I was in bed with a fever and he said he needed to get them or they would be picked over. My youngest must have made me something at school because I was banned from her backpack on friday afternoon. My oldest usually writes me a song or poem and I really look forward to that each year. Dh said I get a foot massage tomorrow evening. This is big because I LOVE them and he hates feet no matter how clean, polished and pedicured they are. I hope all the Moms have a great day tomorrow!

#18 ·
So far I got a card from the 10th company at the Navel Academy and an edible fruit arangement from the young lady my son was going to marry. I also got a picture of all 5 kids with the 6th above the rest in a corner. Its nice
Fern

#21 ·
Diva painted a birdhouse for me at school and she drew me a picture.

Old Man moved the bed last night for me, and I was able to wake up on Mother's Day in a comfy 'in the right place' bed.

#22 ·
Update: The day just keeps on getting better :sun:

Diva gave me the birdhouse she painted in school and a drawing she did.

The Ex-hubby came by and brought me a beautiful hanging plant for my patio

Old Man moved the bed for me last night so I can wake up exactly where I wanted the bed to be this morning... and he came home with a card and Lindt chocolates and a Barnes and Noble gift card.

He handed it to me and said "Do you know how hard it is to get money from you? You do too good of a job" :lol:

#24 ·
I received a dozen roses from my mom and nieces. DS#3 built me something in AG class but forgot to bring it home Friday, so I will get it tomorrow. He will not tell me what it is, but he claims it is good. We went camping this weekend because I decided I wanted to go and DH and the boys did everything....the cooking, etc. We had a blast and made lots of memories!

#25 ·
Hubby cooked, watched all the kids (gave me a break) and got me some new plants for our porch area. #1DD gave me a new chair to watch baseball games with, DS - more plants, #2DD - black bag with picture pockets on it with all grandkids pics in it. Grandkids gave me a new large planters pot with their names/handprints, 2 youngest had footprints, It is so cute. It surely was a blessed day. Oh yeah, I also got things from the younger kids they made at school.

#26 ·
Yesterday was a GREAT day not because I got too many pressies but all of my kids were together and there is no better gift in my opinion.
My gifts were my favorite perfume, cups and saucers (I really wanted/needed them) and a BEAUTIFUL bunch of roses.

It's not as if my kids all live so far away but getting them all together is nothing short of a military operation - they were all here with their SO's (where applicable) and we had a wonderful dinner together (meat fondue). Best gift ever.

Hope everyone had a great day.

#27 ·
I got a plant, book, top, cinnbuns and bath and body works stuff.

#28 ·
Well, this year was my best Mother's Day in a long time. It was a very peaceful weekend at our house. DD came home yesterday and didn't fight with her dad or me. It was soooo nice. Absence makes the heart grow fonder apparently. She also gave me a Grandma and me pic frame as she is expecting our first grandchild. Dh took me out for breakfast and then to a movie later. He also bought me a nice clutch purse and some sandals that were on sale this week. DS gave me a nice card. BIL and SIL gave me some lovely herbs for my garden. Overall, a very nice weekend and day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.