Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
It actually runs pretty close by to me. I haven't been to it in years past, but I may venture down the road a bit this year if I can get a chance. I have heard from others though that traffic is just totally horrible during the week on 127 during the sales.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
We have a much smaller version called the "Spoon River Drive" it's scenic and fun !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
20 Years of bargain hunting on the Highway 127 Corridor Sale

Yes indeed, I am taking a short break from shopping having traveled almost 200 miles in the past three days. The Hwy 127 sale is truly one of the most unique events in America. In 2002 I was featured on HGTV and in USAToday and several other publications for my yard-sale savvy. Who would have thought that my 15 minutes of "fame" would stem from buying stuff on the side of an Appalachian roadway? It has been and continues to be my favorite week of the year. Although the sale was born in Jamestown, TN, Crossville has become the heart of the event by means of being the point where Interstate I-40 crosses Hwy 127. There are so many vendors in the Crossville area that one could shop in either direction, north or south and fail to see it all in a 2-day period. It's a treasure hunter’s version of Nirvana.

Tomorrow I plan to head north, from my home in Crossville, TN to Lake Cumberland in KY. In order to do this, I will have to drive by all the hundreds of booths between Crossville and Jamestown, TN where I plan to start my shopping. From Jamestown, Hwy 127 winds down the Cumberland Plateau into the Wolf River Valley. Over the descent, the change in elevation is right at 2000 feet. This is the most beautiful area of the sale route. The tiny wide-spot-in-the-road community of Pall Mall is always an enjoyed stop. There are fields of vendors in this area and I have found some very good prices. A park at a restored Gristmill offers delightful photo ops and the Wolf River calls out to waders and those who are brave (or wild) enough to jump right in. Even in the 100-degree heat of an August afternoon, the water is fresh from underground caves and icy cold.

The countryside on this leg of the sale is bucolic, rolling, mountainous and typically Tennessee rural. Here Yard sales tend to be the real thing, items culled from basements and attics as opposed to the many professional vendors who prefer the areas near major intersections and towns. Be aware that restroom and restaurants are as elusive as the bargain you seek. Bring food, a cooler of drinks and if you spot a gas station with a restroom, stop!
Oh yes, you can forget your cell phone. There are few towers beaming signals into Tennessee's poorest region.

The vision of the event's creator was to get people off the Interstate and into rural Appalachia. They succeeded beautifully. Each year it is estimated the 400,000 shoppers will park on the sides of Hwy 127 over the course this officially 4 day event.

You can read more about the sale at my webpage www jeffreyhood . com Choose the Yard Sale King to read the articles and view a few pics. 2007 pics will be added soon.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I really, really wanted to go this year but work just isn't gonna let up. So I'll put the article into my datebook for next year and see what happens. This article has moved 3 times now according to the date on the bottom of the page lol.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
It is pretty close to us also. We have been in the past - making a weekend out of it. So much fun and so many interesting people to meet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd have to say I've been underwhelmed by it in the past. It's basically like a huge flea market

1 - 7 of 7 Posts