Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our nursery has Stevia or Sweet Stevia, as a new herb. Has anyone tried growing this?

It says you can use it fresh, dried or ground.
I thought it might be nice to throw in a leaf into ice tea, or dry it and use it in hot tea in the winter.

I thought I saw somewhere here that it is hard to grow. Also do you take it indoors during the winter?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I grow stevia in my herb garden every year. It grows abundant and strong for me , it has not been hard for me to grow at all. I use it fresh and dry it as well . It is very very strong and sweet flavored. I have grown a little pot of it in the kitchen , though i get so much outside during the summer .

Reactions: pinetree

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Hi happymama

tried to pm you about seed co but your box is full. They are charging extra money that you can have taken off; wanted to let you know. Thanks for the info about stevia; I just bought seeds 2 days ago.
Thank you so much for the information. Cleared my box as well thanks!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I haven't grown it recently, but a few years ago, I did grow some. If I can grow it, it can't be that hard to grow! :) You might find that one leaf is too much for a cup of tea. It is really, really sweet.

Nowadays, I use commercial powdered stevia extract. I have a jar of it that will probably last for the rest of my life. The extract is even stronger than the ground leaves. I use about 1/100th of a teaspoon in a cup of tea.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It says here nit6 is an annual, maybe I would only have to grow it one year if its that stong.

Can you cook using this? guess I need to do some research.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks HappyMama, the site says its under contruction, so I bookmarked it and will check it out later.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Thanks HappyMama, the site says its under contruction, so I bookmarked it and will check it out later.
Yes sorry there was a conversion chart , but check out the new one I put has recipes for you.

Reactions: pinetree

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the new site! Theres alot of recipies I would like to try.

I am going to try and grow this, I think I will put it in a pot so I can bring it in this winter.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I great it last year in a pot on the patio. It became almost evasive. As long as you water it (I did not fertilizer) it will produce in loads for you. I tried cutting it back and it cause a growth explosion. I finally just stopped watering it and let it die.

for me it wasn't the most useful herb. This year I am doing vegetables and the only herbs will be Sage and Rosemary.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I use sage and rosemary for a roasted chicken recipe. Sage in homemade stuffing, some soups ,chicken dishes etc.

Rosemary in my marinara sauce, forcaccia bread, rosemary olive bread, all kinds of recipes I guess, shampoo recipe etc. Love love love herbs. Have fun growing and using everyone.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I am growing 2 plants, DH came home with 2 good size ones, so off to find something to plant them in. Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.