Frugal Village Forums banner

Anyone hate their job??? Rant here...

Tags
hate job rant
2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Quirky_Gal_08 
#1 ·
I absolutley HATE mine. Its a terrible company to work for and I find I call in sick more than I actually work. There are several reasons why. The hours are terrible and they aren't flexible with a schedule at all. If you have a dr's appointment, even if you give 2 weeks advanced notice, they won't let you have the day off, you need to use a sick day for it, and then you get in trouble. I get a new schedule every week, but no time in advance. The new schedule start on sunday, I get it thursday night, so I can't even plan anything because I just don't know. They never give me my paystub on time and when they do, there is always a mistake but you have to go through an appeals process to get anything done about it. I know someone who has been waiting to get her owed holiday pay from 2 years ago!!! Its 10 hour days and most of the time they give you your lunch and breaks within the first 4 hours, so you sit at a computer for 6 hours straight! I've complained about that, and when they here a complaint they make it worse for you the next day. I got in trouble (though I can't say why or how because they made me sign a confidentiality agreement) but it was for a very stupid reason, and everyone I talked to said I was right, and yet I still got punished. I really want to quit or get fired, but if I do get fired, I can't go to unemployment because you need at least 6 weeks worth of paystubs to prove income, but I only have 4 from the last 4 months. Someone told me they do that on purpose so you can't collect if you get fired. And the final stupid thing about the company is that even if you are a good employee, you can't get a reference because they refuse to help you.

Alright I'm done....who's next????

See less See more
#3 ·
I am so sorry you are dealing with this at work. I have had several jobs over the course of my working career and a few of them sound like they were a lot like yours.

When I worked as a bank teller I would work 8 hours or longer and the teller's lunch started at 11am. I would have been there only 3 hours and had lunch and we had better have used the bathroom before 1pm or you could expect to hold it the rest of the day. We were on our feet, tethered to the computer working on transactions. We were very busy, in fact so busy that I was dealing with around 2,000 or more people in a week (400 people and their problems per day) for hours on end with no breaks and no considertion. If we were out sick one day we got ridiculed about it for days/weeks.

The other job I had was retail and I was again on my feet stocking shelves or tied to the cash register for hours on end. If I was stocking shelves I could sometimes sneak off to use the bathroom, not the case if I was on the cash register though. That place also frowned upon sick days and gave us our schedules with very little (if any advance notice) and I was stuck dealing with whatever I was scheduled for, regardless if I had asked for time off even months in advance.

I hope you have started applying for other jobs. I don't mind the job I work now, I have my own cubicle with desk and computer and I can use the bathroom any time I feel like it and take lunch when I want to. We get an adequate number of days off in a year and if you take them no one so far has made me feel bad about it. I work in a large non-profit agency. Non-profit isn't known for paying well, but it's decent pay for the job I do. Not to mention I have every weekend off and I am home by 5:45 most nights of the week.

Good Luck, I hope you find something else soon. You shouldn't have to put up with the crap they dish out, no one should!

#4 ·
Yeah, i hear you about the bathroom breaks. We don't get paid for bathroom breaks but we still get in trouble if we take more than one in a 10 hr shift. I am definitley looking for a new job as we speak...lol, I have been for a few weeks now.

#5 ·
Rachel, Your company is breaking the law. You should report them to the wage and hour division of employment security. They can not legally penalize you for bathroom breaks. They can not withhold your pay stubs.
Ooooops, just noticed you're in Canada. So, different rules, but certainly check into your laws there. That's really not right.

#8 ·
You don't have to deal with it. Just report it. Then, others won't have to deal with it and the company will be set right.

When no one reports these abuses, unscrupulous employers are allowed to treat people horribly.

I don't believe in reporting petty complaints. But, this is not a petty complaint.

Find another job, leave... but still report them and get an investigation into their practices started!

#10 ·
Well, the library I work for just replaced several people with self check out machines!!!!!! Yes, I will be one of them!!!!!!

#12 ·
So sorry to hear this. I hope you find something else soon.

rachelMcK, I've had some bad jobs but that job sounds
like the worse. I hope you find a new job soon and are
out of there. But I agree with the other posters. This
company should be reported so that some type of
investigation can be started. Document if you can and
help the next poor souls who get this horrible job.
Good luck.

#11 ·
When you hate your job it makes it so hard to go to work. I would look for something else. If you don't need insurance how about cleaning houses. That's what I do it's perfect I set my hours, people appreciate me, the house is clean when I leave, and did I mention I set my own hours. Something to think.Good Luck!

#14 ·
Sending postive vibes Rachel.
Good Luck!

#15 ·
Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :tay:

--Michelle

#16 · (Edited)
I'm sorry that your employer treats its employees so horribly, I too would report them.

I am forturnate to have been with the same company for the last 13 years and other than some of the normal stress of dealing with people who are in a panic for a place to live and sometimes being rude when you can't help them I have always loved my job and my boss.

Oh, I forgot to add that I wish you the best of luck with your interviw.

#17 ·
Ehhh ... as far as jobs go that i have had this one is meeting some needs i have right now.. but still lacking.

The Bad:
~Low pay $6.25 just isn't enough
~Schedual isn't put out til Saturday or Sunday when we work monday to sunday scheduals ( i have had to call in before to get my schedual because it wasn't up on sunday when i worked )
~Schedualed so you HAVE to be late ( i know my boss tries her best to schedual me around my appointments and i always let her know in as much advance as i know when they will be but when i am schedualed to work at 3pm and i have a dr's appointment at 2:45pm and they tell me oh its okay to be a little late. UHM that makes me really nervious!! )
~ No breaks
~ No Lunch ( which is normal for hotel front desk )

The Good:
~ Since my manager hired me already pregnant and she knew my situation with Joe she is very understanding about me needing time off ( even though sometimes she complains, mostly because others do not show as much curtacy as i do or want to work, just as for days off randomly.. i tell her why i want days off usually dr's appointments which i put them all on the calander at work incase they think about working me in the morning.. which is when i schedual as many of the appointments as i can since they work me 2nd or 3rd usually.)
~ I can bring Joe and the baby once i have her to work with me... which will aleviate a lot of stress for me and both our mom's since Joe has Grand Mal Sezures.
~They will have me back after maternity leave ( infact they are already panicing that i will be gone for 6 weeks *lol* they aren't sure what they will do)
~ I am getting 40 hours a week. (sometimes more if i work for other people)
~ It's sit down, but i can get up and walk when i need to.
~ I am allowed to go potty when ever i need to ( although i always find myself holding it cause seems i always get busy when i got to go *lol* )

Off the Job:
because i make so little i have been able to get medicaid which i had no medical insurance so that has really helped out a TON.

I get FS, but that wasn't near as important as the medical insurance.

#20 ·
I definitely hate my current job as well....BUT I was offered a new job this past Friday and start in 2 weeks!! I'm very excited to finally (hopefully) be working in a place where I am taken seriously as a professional and not treated like the office b*tch all the time. Good luck to those of you who are looking for new jobs....it's a long, agonizing process....but so worth it when you find a new great job!! =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.