Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to need a new electric kitchen range. I found one that I like that has a convection oven. I have never used one and would like to hear comments [good or bad ] about them. Do you have one and do you like it?

·
Registered
656 Posts
My convection oven is not much different from a regular one. Just use common sense - meat thermometer in a roast, test baking for done about 5 minutes before it's usually done.

Reactions: chickadee-7815

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have one and I like it for baking. It's a setting that I can use or not use. There is a learning curve, but now that I've mastered it, I use it often. It's by no means a must have for me, but its definitely nice to have.

Reactions: chickadee-7815

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've always used the convection "fan" option on any ovens I've had, so I can't really compare it to the traditional kind. That said, the science behind them is pretty sound in terms of how it regulates the temperature by circulating hot air in the oven and thus bakes/cooks things more evenly.

Just as pat in east texas said, there's definitely a difference in terms of baking time and temperature: it will bake faster than some recipes suggest (which assume you are using a traditional oven) - based on my experience at least - and you can also keep your stuff in at reduced heat.

For me, I found oven temperature conversion charts, such as the one on the link below, pretty useful when following recipes based on traditional ovens:

Conversion guides - How to cook - BBC Good Food

I'm not sure if American ovens are in °F, if so trusty google can always convert further!

So I guess if you keep in mind the faster/hotter aspect of it, that could actually be a plus? Good luck with your oven :clover:

·
Registered
860 Posts
When we bought our oven, we got a double wall unit and the top was convection. The convection part has now stopped functioning. I miss it, but we're not willing to pay what it would cost to have it fixed. I liked it for for roasting chicken and baking homemade pizzas.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yes, I like mine! A convection oven has a fan in the back & it blows the air around..suppose to be more even heat. When I'm baking & something needs a browner top like mac & cheese, pizzas, casseroles, I will turn on the convection. Also, if something isn't as done as it should be. I'm quite pleased with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.