·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and what do you use the water for?

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Yes, we have 2 rain barrels which are now once again full. It just rained!!!

I use the water for watering my plants. We have to pay for our water here so using the rain water really cuts down on our water bill. I've also used it for plants in the house. Plants, both outside and inside thrive on rain water.

You can use it for washing your hair as well.

This coming winter, I plan on bringing the barrels in the house and collecting snow, melting it and using it in the washing machine, again saving $$.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
btw - I forgot to say that almost 90% of the homes here have rain barrels. With the past few years having drought, more and more homes have gotten rain barrels.

If you do get one, make sure for safety reasons, you have a lid on the top of it!!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I don't, but I do have a cistern, I want to put a handle pump on it and use it for the yards. Water here is so expensive..... Again that is a job for dh and he's so far behind as it is ....:mad:

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
NOt yet but that is one of my projects waiting to get done. I have to get a barrel with some kind of screen that will lock out the dks!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
That is so easy and so cool ! Thanks Sara ! We'll be making one to water our yards !

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the article. I'll have to check if they are "approved" in this county. We had several people get West Nile virus last year and they are getting very strict about water. The are actually going around and checking peoples back yards for standing water.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Yes---a bucket. We use it to water plants too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts