Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for days now for a recipe to pressure cooked jojo potatoes and all I can find are ones that are either fried or baked.

I go to a farmers market and when I go I usually get some jojo potatoes, one day I asked them "Are these fried or baked?" he said they are pressure cooked, so today I went back and asked him just some info cause I knew he wouldnt give me the recipe but I said "You coat with flour and seasonings and put them in the pressure cooker right?" He said yeah but we make our own seasonings.

Now please note that I have never used a pressure cooker before, a friend of mine bought me one with the hopes that I can cook in it and then give her some recipes of the great things I come up with, so I thank her for her wonderful gift!

When you use a pressure cooker, do you add water, oil or just put the food in their and let the pressure cooker do it's magic? lol Can ya tell I am a newbie at this? :)

Thanks ladies!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Tracy, I must admit that we do not use our pressure cooker as often as we should, but you must add broth or water. Not alot but at least to cover about 1/2" of the bottom of the cooker. There are lots of good pressure cooker cookbooks out there. Check the library before starting cooking. I have never heard of JoJo potatoes so I am no help there.

We mostly cook chicken in it, so that when we put it on the grill it isn't on the grill so long that it gets blackened skin.

I hope that this helped you somewhat.

·
27,948 Posts
Sorry Tracy, you think I'm intimidated by pie crusts, pressure cookers rank higher. Dh uses it but I never have. Sorry, wish I could help.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok so atleast when I am cooking the potatoes I would have to add a bit of water to it, that's a start so thanks! :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I do not know how to use a pressure cooker but I am quite familiar with jojos. I have not had them in years but when I was a kid I would go to a restaurant with my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins and the man who owned the restaurant made the best jojos. I wish I had some right now. I can taste them.

I have a funny story. As a family we always wanted his recipe for the jojos but never asked because most likely the owner wouldn't tell us. As the years went by we stopped going to the restaurant and did not see the owner for years. But one day my mother and I signed up for Diet Workshop and guess who walked in the door, the owner of the restaurant. He was a member of Diet Workshop too. I said to my mother do you think now is the time to ask him for his recipe for Jojos? We both laughed because we were sure Jojos were not on the list for our first month of Diet Workshop.

Thank you for bringing back that memory. I had forgotten about it.

I hope you find a recipe soon.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I will have to do trial and error here i I cant find an actual pressure cooker recipe, lol :)

·
27,948 Posts

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Darlene! How funny you found my question I posted on Yahoo!, lol :) Thanks for the other links too!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I used to make jo jo potatoes when I worked in a restaurant. I used a commercial pressure cooker, and we used oil. They were so tasty, and I wish I could get them today (restaurant is no longer in business).

Pressure cookers have come a long way over the past 20 or so years. Most have great safety features on them, and I would love to have one someday.

What kind do you have? Your manual probably has some good recipes in it as well as tips for cooking all kinds of things in it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Ok, this may be quick and simple (maybe a little bit stupid) question, but
What the heck is a jo jo potato?????

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's basically a whole potato cut into 4 then rolled in flour and seasonings, then pressure cooked or fried or baked. It makes them super super soft and sooooo yummy. :)

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, never found a recipe for it :( Going to have to try my own way I guess.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
OMG yer brave to try to use a pressure cooker....I have horror stories!!! Its right up there with deep fryers - just a no no!

See this >>> :shoot: <<< thats BOTH the pressure cooker AND deep fryer that are out to get me to this day still! :laugh:

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shorty - thanks for the laugh, I totally love the icon you used, suits what you are trying to say very well :) I have found and alternative way that I am going to try, if it turns out well I will share :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts