Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to buy these at a grocery store each year,but they have stopped making them.They weren't tangy so no spicy stuff in them.Anyone have a good recipe they could share? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
This is a dip recipe. I'm not sure if it could be converted to a cheese ball or not. This has been a family favorite for over thirty years.

Shrimp Dip
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 t. Worchestershire sauce
1/2 c. seafood sauce
1 can diced shrimp (I usually use fake seafood, chopped fine)
5-6 drops Tabasco sauce, to taste
Mix all but shrimp till well blended. Gently fold in shrimp. Serve with Triscuits or other crackers or other finger foods as desired.

In spite of the Tabasco, this isn't really hot and spicy. You can leave it out if you like but it's better with it, IMO.

Not what you asked for, I know, but it's an excuse to bump this back up in hopes you'll get a real answer. :)

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Here is one I really like:

1 lb canned salmon
1 lb cream cheese, softened
2 T lemon juice
2 t chopped green onions
1/2 t seasoned salt
2-3 T lemon pepper
1/4 - 1/2 t Liquid Smoke

1/2 c chopped pecans
1/2 c green onions
3 T snipped parsley

Drain and flake salmon, removing skin and bones. Combine salmon w/ cream cheese, lemon juice, 2 t green onions, seasoned salt, lemon pepper, and Liquid Smoke. Chill several hours.

Combine pecans, 1/2 c green onions, and parsley.

Shape salmon mixture into desired shape (log, ball, etc). Roll in nut mixture. Chill well until ready to serve.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help.I may be able to come up with something.The one I was getting had green onion,parsley in it, I remember, but it did have a pinky color to it so maybe a bit of seafood sauce?I guess it doesn't really matter if its a ball or dip.This is a start,thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
If you know the brand name of the one you liked, and what the specific product was called, try Googling it and see what comes up. A lot of companies list their products' ingredients online and it might give you a better idea what all is in it, although not the amounts of course.

If the cheese ball was very popular, you could also search for a clone recipe. Maybe someone out there has already come up with a recipe.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These were made in-store.I got the idea to Facebook the company,Sobeys,and they looked into it for me.They said that they were not making them any more,and the recipe is owned by them and could not give it out.My daughter found a recipe that may be really close,as I remember some of what was in them ,but there is usually a "secret" ingredient in most things.Time to experiment I guess.Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts