Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH likes the single-serving packets of drink mix (peach tea or lemonade flavor) we buy in a box (8 or 10 packets to a box, depending on which brand we buy). Does anyone have a homemade alternative to these? Even though they cost just over a dollar, I can't help but think there has to be a healthier and cheaper alternative.

TIA!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Hmm...you can brew your own pot of (iced) tea and flavour it using natural fruit juices. Tea + peach nectar, Tea + rasp juice etc You could also try using different types of teabags then add extra flavouring as desired. Lemonade is not hard to make at all, water, lemon juice & sugar or sweetener; you can add extra juice flavours to make a nice mix as well ie rasp/lemonade. Not sure if DH is after the sugar free/calorie aspect of it or the different flavour combos you normally can't make at home?

It may help if you buy the appropriate sized reusable bottle for DH. I was thinking of using these Reusable Kids Juice Box | Rubbermaid but they may seem too small to him or child like? They have a 1c or 2c size...from there on you need to buy the water bottles in either plastic or stainless steel.

If he's drinking a lot of those drink mix sticks, you do have a reason to be concerned...think of whats really in those sticks: flavouring, sweetener, dyes and chemicals. I can see once in a while as a treat or if you're truly sick of drinking plain water but to use those each time you drink your water seems too be a bit much to me. But thats just my thought about them.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I spent a bit of time trying to find something myself. Other than a bulk buy of something like Country Time Lemonade, I couldn't find anything. If you could find your drinks in bulk, maybe on Amazon, that may be cheapest. I doubt something homemade would be comparable, once you factor in the cost of time it took to create.

I hope someone else can provide, as I'm in the same boat.

·
Registered
326 Posts
We have reusable water bottles for the kids. Especially now that it's hot out, the stores have Minute Maid Lemonade and various other juices for $1 for 64 oz. I buy 3-4 of these a week, which equals $3-4 and pour those into their bottles to carry around. Tastes great, doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Just my solution.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I think that if you find anything that you like to drink and try to make it in a large quantity (gallon) it would be cheaper than single servings. They always cost the most. We run water through our coffee maker and put it in a gallon rubbermaid container and add 9 regular tea bags and some sugar and then let it sit for awhile.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
If I understand correctly your DH uses these while he's outside of the home. If that's the case I'd make up a recipe like the stawberry tea recipe listed above and make single serving packets he could carry with him.

I'm a big wax paper person and I wrap almost everything in it. If I were to do this I'd cut out squares of wax paper, fold them in half and fold in the sides and secure (make sure it's really secure) with a small piece of scotch tape fashioning a small wax paper bag/pocket. Then I'd fill each pocket with a measured amount of tea mix and fold down the top and secure with tape. To use you's only need to open the very top of the packet and pour in the bottle. This method could also be used with parchment or butcher paper.

Reactions: AspiringToBeFrugal

·
Registered
273 Posts
No suggestions on the drink mix. Dh loves iced tea so we always make our own.In the summer when I am the tea maker,I will add different flavored tea bags to the mix. The other week when we had extra juicey fresh berries,I added the excess juice to the tea. They charge big bucks for flavored tea when you eat out!
DH takes Rubbermaid containers with his drinks and water everyday. My problem is-----how do you get the darn things clean? They get so dirty from his work bag and his hands. I've been spraying them with" kitchen cleaner with bleach" every night.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I'm a big wax paper person and I wrap almost everything in it. If I were to do this I'd cut out squares of wax paper, fold them in half and fold in the sides and secure (make sure it's really secure) with a small piece of scotch tape fashioning a small wax paper bag/pocket. Then I'd fill each pocket with a measured amount of tea mix and fold down the top and secure with tape. To use you's only need to open the very top of the packet and pour in the bottle. This method could also be used with parchment or butcher paper.
That is such a great idea - makes him feel like he's having single serve sticks by making your own! I'd prob have suggested giving DH a small square plastic container and a spoon and telling him to spoon a bit into his bottle when he's ready to have it (I'm not patient enough to make the wax paper stick pouch container like you polly :))

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Maybe because I'm a junkie... but I thought about the little Tupperware smidgets to hold iced tea or lemonade powder in. Yes... the answer to life is Tupperware :D :lol:

If he mixes them up at work (office), how about putting the powder IN the bottles, and have him put the water in from the bubbler? It's a PITA, but if he 'has' to have single serve...

If he works outside, and just hates plain water... (lets say he drinks 3 a day) take 3 of his bottles, fill half way with a pre-made drink and pop in the freezer. In the morning, fill the rest up (leave room at the top) and pop in to his lunch box. Still single serve, still not 'plain water', and still cold.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i thought about this once- and figured the amt i would loose trying to make it into single serve packages would not be $$ saving .

putting some into a smaller tupperware containor with a correct size scoop may work id u can keep it free of humidty which will cause clumping - so leaving it in a car if you travel may nto work - in an office may work .
i see them in wylers brand at dollar tree all the time - for a pack fo 10 for 1$ - for 10c each it isnt worth it for me to try to make individual packages .

i use one a day of raspberry flavor to mix in a powdered homeopathic i take for my FMS - since it has artifical sweeteners in it any more than one actually exacerbates the FMS- so its easy for me to limit it to 1 an afternoon .

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
That is such a great idea - makes him feel like he's having single serve sticks by making your own! I'd prob have suggested giving DH a small square plastic container and a spoon and telling him to spoon a bit into his bottle when he's ready to have it (I'm not patient enough to make the wax paper stick pouch container like you polly :))
Find the most local meth dealer. They'll give you tips on how to do it quickly.

Personally, I wouldn't be refilling water bottles, like others have suggested. Unless you are talking about the aluminum/Nalgene type, plastic bottles aren't designed to be reused.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts