Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pudding, pie filling, evaporatd milk...like poke cakes or dump cakes?

I always want to try one but don't trust allrecipes.com anymore.
:( Too many bad recipes that have been rated well there.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
You should try this recipe...it is a huge hit!!! Malcom took it to work and it was gone in 10 mins!! They want me to make it again and it's so simple to make...

I got this from the foodtv.com web page..Paula's home cooking

Is it really better than sex cake???? - yes it's really called this :D

1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 (3.4-ounce) box French vanilla pudding, plus ingredients to prepare
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup flaked, sweetened toasted coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare yellow cake mix as directed using a greased 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. While cake is baking, combine the pineapple and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

Remove cake from oven and using a fork, pierce holes into cake. Pour pineapple mixture over hot cake and set aside.

Prepare pudding according to package directions. Spread pudding over cake and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Whip heavy cream and remaining sugar until stiff. Cover top of cake with whipped cream and sprinkle toasted coconut on top.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Fantastic Trifle

Ingredients:
Trifles serve a crowd and make a presentation. Of all my trifles, this is the one I am always for the recipe. It’s easy and a guaranteed winner.

1 (16-ounce) angel food cake
2/3 C. sugar
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 (5-ounce) can evaporated skimmed milk
¼ C. coffee liqueur3 (1.4-ounce) English toffee candy bars, crushed
3 (4-serving) packages instant vanilla pudding and pie filling
3 cups skim milk
2 bananas, peeled and sliced
1 (12-ounce) container fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed

Preparation:
Cube cake and place in large bowl. To make chocolate sauce: combine sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and evaporated milk. Cook over low heat until thickens. Remove from heat; add coffee liqueur, cool. Pour chocolate mixture over cake in bowl. Add crushed candy to cake mixture. In mixer, beat pudding and 3 cups skim milk until thick. Pour over angel food cake mixture. In trifle dish, layer cake mixture, banana, and whipped topping. Repeat layers, ending with whipped topping.

Makes 16 servings

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Triple Chocolate Cake

Cake:

1 (18.25-ounce) box devil's food cake mix

1 (31/2-ounce) box non-instant chocolate pudding and pie filling mix

3 eggs

3/4 C. water

1/4 C. evaporated milk

1/4 C. vegetable oil

2 T. chocolate syrup

1/2 C. semisweet chocolate chips

Frosting:

2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened to room temperature

3/4 C. (11/2 sticks) margarine1 pound powdered sugar

3/4 C. cocoa

1/4 t. vanilla

5 T. (half a small can) evaporated milk

1 T. chocolate syrup, or more if desired

To make cake:

Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch cake pan or Bundt pan. Bake for the time set on the package.

Combine cake mix, chocolate pudding mix, eggs, water, evaporated milk, oil and 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup together in a bowl with an electric mixer. Beat at medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into greased pan. Bake on the middle rack of a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes (depending on the pan you are using), or until tester (toothpick or wooden skewer) comes out clean. Set on a rack to cool. Remove from pan after 15 minutes and cool completely before frosting.

To make frosting: Blend cream cheese and margarine together until soft and fluffy. Add powered sugar, cocoa, vanilla, evaporated milk and chocolate syrup and beat until all ingredients are well incorporated. Spread on cooled cake.

Makes 12 servings.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Double Fudge Cake
1 3.8 oz. box instant chocolate pudding -- prepared
1 18.5oz. box devil's food cake mix
whipped cream or frosting
Grease and flour a 9x13x2 inch pan. Combine dry cake mix and pudding and beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Put in pan and bake 35-40 minutes on 350. Frost as desired!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Apple-Spice Dump Cake
· 1 can apple pie filling (21 oz)
· 1 box spice cake mix (18 oz)
· 1 cup melted margarine
· 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour pie filling into greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix over filling. Pour melted margarine over cake mix and top with nuts. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.

Dump Cake

1 package Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
1 can crushed pineapple -- (20 oz.)
1 can cherry pie filling
1/2 cup butter or margarine -- cut into thin slices.

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease 13x9x2 inch pan. Dump undrained pineapple into pan, spread evenly. Dump pie filling and spread into even layer. Dump dry cake mix onto cherry pie filling. Spread evenly. Sprinkle pecans over cake mix. Put butter slices over top and bake at 350 for 48-53 minutes. Serve warm or cooled.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I was going to post my Dump Cake recipe, but it's identical to Milissa's! :) You can frost it with Cool Whip if desired, but personally I prefer it unfrosted with vanilla ice cream. It works with either a white or yellow cake mix. I have read recently on a recipe site that you can use the same recipe with a chocolate cake mix, but I haven't tried that variation yet.

Here's a good one:

MICROWAVE CAKE
1 (18.25 ounce) package cake mix
3 eggs
1 (21 ounce) can pie filling
1/2 cup applesauce

1 Mix the box of cake mix, eggs, pie filling and applesauce till moist. Use a microwave safe bundt pan or substitute a microwave safe bowl that has a microwave safe cup or cone placed in the middle of it (to mimic a bundt pan). Pour mixture into the bowl around the cup.
2 Bake on high for 6 minutes 30 seconds, turn and bake for another 6 minutes 30 seconds on high. Remove from oven and cover bowl with a dish and let stand for 5 minutes (this finishes the cooking process).
3 Turn cake over onto dish and remove cone (cup) for a delicious quick dessert. Good hot with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.

You can use any combination of cakes/pie filling, ie: apple with yellow cake. I've done this one with chocolate cake & cherry pie filling, served warm with chocolate syrup & ice cream... almost like a black forest cake, but less work! This one did come from allrecipes.com (Sorry, Sara, but it's a good one, I promise!). Another reviewer suggested using spice cake and pumpkin pie filling, which I haven't tried, but it sounds good!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts