Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on having my tubes tied after this c-section, coming in a few weeks. I'm feeling anxious about it, but know for certain that we don't want to have anymore children. (Okay, I'd love a thousand more kids, but we couldn't provide for them, and I think that's irresponsible.)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has had the surgery and if so, if there were any ill effects afterward? One of the things I've been looking up is excessive weight gain following tubal ligation and difficulty ever taking it off. Also, other things like migraines, etc.

Figured I'd see if anyone here at the village has had any experience with it.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I've had a tubal. I had it after my last c-section. It was super easy and added only a teensy bit of pain to my c-section recovery. (Occasional pains on either side of my abdomen. I'm talkin' barely noticeable, but the nurse who did my follow up confirmed it was from the tubal.)

I have heard a lot of people complain about side effects of getting it done but I remain unconvinced. I asked my doctor about it and he explained that most women who get the tubal are taking some form of hormonal birth control before the tubal. When they get the tubal and go off the birth control they notice a lot of changes, things like heavier periods, irregular periods, pain etc etc. Their cycle just goes back to normal due to the absence of the birth control.

I was never on any hormonal bc and interestingly, I never experienced any problems with the tubal.
I'm planning on having my tubes tied after this c-section, coming in a few weeks. I'm feeling anxious about it, but know for certain that we don't want to have anymore children. (Okay, I'd love a thousand more kids, but we couldn't provide for them, and I think that's irresponsible.)
Are you sure you wanna do it? What if you win the lottery? :laugh:

The idea that I couldn't have any more babies was definitely the hardest adjustment for me. We're probably going to adopt eventually but I couldn't handle any more pregnancies.

Good luck, I hope the delivery goes smoothly for you.

Reactions: AmyBoz

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
After a really rough pregnancy with my second child I had my tubes tied (cut a section out as well) when they did my C-section. That was 12 years ago. I was fairly young and there have been times I've had temorary regrett about it but overall I still think it was the right choice.

As for health issues:
I've ALWAYS struggled with getting weight off so I hadn't really associated that I did hold on to the weight after my second child was born to the tubal. That said, now that I look back I never did return to pre-pregnancy weight (or close) after my second pregnancy and I did within a year my first pregnancy. Is this because of the tubal, or that I was a couple of years older, or that I didn't breast feed with the second child, or something else entirely, I couldn't say for sure.

I have also heard that having a tubal may bring menapause on earlier as most people start showing starting signs of entering the process about 10 years after having a tubal. I don't know if that is accurate or hearsay. Personally, I am 12 years in and can say that at 39 I have been showing very early signs that my body is headed that direction. Again, is that connected or was this just when my body would have picked to start down that road anyway, I'm not sure.

I don't know of anything else I've experienced health wise that could be connected with it at all.

Hope that was helpful.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i had mine done 10 years ago. The only thing that i noticed is for the first few years the cramps were way more but as they years have gone by i dont notice it anymore plus my days have shortened up. I didnt have mine with a c section either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had mine 13 years ago, I've had heavy periods and would bleed 14 days at a time and go 2 weeks then start again. I had to have a d&c and hysteroscopy about 1 1/2 after mine. I've had a lot more cloting. I think it is different for everyone. I've not had a issue with weight, due to it. I also this summer had an endometrial ablation . Hope all goes well for you. TC

·
Registered
699 Posts
I had my tubes tide 17 years ago. I didnt have any problems with it. Good Luck!!

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Amy, I just went to the doctor to schedule a tubal. We're done having kids. I dislike being pregnant, we've had some medical complications with each child during labor/delivery that makes me nervous to have more, and we are comfortable providing for the ones we have--it'd be a stretch to add more to that.

After talking to the doctor, I opted to not have the tubal. I'm still not having kids, but instead, I went for the Mirena. It's a 5 year IUD that they insert during an office visit. I've been on it for roughly 2-3 weeks and I like it. It has same effective rate as the tubal, which I like, but can be removed at anytime for fertility purposes. I opted for it so that I didn't have to go under anesthesia.

It may be an option that you would prefer to the tubal. Hugs to you. It's a hard decision.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I had mine done after my second c-section at 23. No problems....no weight issues. I argued with my Doc about it for months, but my deliveries were dangerous and I knew I never wanted to go through that again.
My only regret was remarrying at 36 and not being able to have a child with dh. We talked about all kinds of options but decided we were happy with our family. I'm 52 and just starting through menopause....

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Had it done 26 years ago, no problems. Weight is still the same, no health problems. One of the best decisions I have ever made, once my family was complete!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I had a tubal after my 2nd csection . I had it because I had a heart condition that made pregnancy difficult and dangerous for me. I was already having a scheduled csection and it made much more sense financially and medically to just do it then . The dr.s were appalled when I got pregnant the second time. Everything went fine although I did spend the biggest part of it on bedrest. Anyhow, I was only 30. I have since had my Heart problem repaired by surgery and I often thought if I had known then that it would be repaired I would have liked another child. The pain associated directly with the procedure was minimal. Some cramping on the sides after surgery the dr. attributed to the tubal but nothing to keep me from saying not to have it done for that purpose. My periods were a little worse after but that is how they were pre- bc pills so I think things just reverted back to my non-medicated normal. Good luck with your decision. I know it is not an easy one.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My mom and sister had tubals. They had some side effects (excessive bleeding) several years later that their doctors said were due to the type of tubal they had. They both had the older type of tubal. I don't know more than that, except that they both wished they'd had the newer style which avoids those complications down the road.

When we were finished having kids, dh had a vasectomy. I'd had 7 children and 3 c/s, so we decided he'd do that rather than me having a tubal and another surgery. I've found it to be painless and side-effect free. LOL.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I had my tubes tied in Dec.1978, i was 40 year old and i still had normal period until i was up in my 50 something.never had no problem.(The reason i can remember when i had it done was my oldest grandaughter was born Feb.24,1978.Hope everything goes well for you.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had a tubal after my 2nd child was born via c-section. My doctor spent months trying to talk me out of it, but in the end, I'm glad I did it. We would have had more kids and financially it would have been a huge strain. I didn't notice any side effects from it, my periods were always irregular and heavy. I did have an endometrial ablation over a year ago and it was the best thing I could have done!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had mine 10 years ago after my 2nd child.. had to schedule after as it was a vaginal birth... I had a hard time talking the dr into doing it since i was only 21 (had my 1st at 16) I was done... I said if I ever want more I can always adopt... I was so glad to be off the birth cont... I lost about 50 lbs after.. no complications here..
make the decision that is right for you... lots of choices out there..

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Best thing I ever did. I had mine done 25 years ago. I had my period for another 22 years. I was never sorry. I gave birth to 4 kids and each pregnecy was harder on me. I didn't gain alot of weight. Its still your choice.
Fern

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I had my tubal done after my 2nd child was born via c section. I was 37 when he was born and did not want to go through another pregnancy. I would have liked to have more children but with my age, our income and my disability (brain tumor) I felt it was better not to. There was minimal pain associated w/the surgery - air bubble trapped in abdomen. The hardest part was getting used to the idea that my child bearing days were gone, that I no longer had the option to have another baby.
Now my boys are 15 yrs and 8 yrs and I'm good with having no more kids. My 8 yr old has Aspergers & ADHD and it was good that I had the individual time to spend w/him to help him with all that comes w/a special needs child. I truly couln't imagine being able to help ds if there was a younger sibling to tend to. God truly knows what's best, because the tubal turned out to be a good decision all the way around. Good luck.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sorry, I took the easy way out,,,,hubby got fixed.............

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
All my kids were c-sections. I don't dialate. But we decided the three were enough, my body handled that last one really badly.

We had decided on a tubal and I am glad we did. They did it during the last c section and all was taken care of at once.

I have weight issues anyhow, but I don't see how the tubal really can add to it anymore that other things do. It's like all things really, you are aware of the possibility and can do other things to help it (diet changes and exersize for example).

Best choice I ever made.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.