Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really trying to declutter, yet I also try to reuse or find new uses for things. It is very hard for me to throw something away that might be useful later. I have started setting limits on how many things I can save. For example, I save only a few baggies, pieces of foil, etc. because that just contributes to my clutter. I try not to save more than a few plastic containers. I am no longer stocking up on things that I don't have room for and already have plenty of, just because they are free. But I am still having trouble letting go of other things.
For example, last month I took down some levilor-type blinds. Most were in good condition, so they went to the thrift store, but one had been chewed by my cat. Since most of it was still good, I thought maybe I could reuse the slats for something. But, honestly, I don't know what the heck I could use the slats for, or even the strings on the blind. I am giving myself one more week to think of something useful for it, or it goes in the trash. To have a clutter-free home, do I have to completely give up saving items for reuse? If anyone has this problem, how do you manage?

·
21,852 Posts
RD - very good take on the conflicting challenges - and that conflict has led to my cluttered home because I saved everything. Think a time frame is a good limit to use. And there will be times, guaranteed, that you will get rid of something that you could have/would have used in the future - that's okay.

Personally - decluttering and organization are going to take a higher priority for me this year - and hopefully the rest of my life!!

Reactions: RaineyDaye

·
Registered
16,360 Posts
You could use those things. But will you? Whats the real likely hood of it. Are you keeping it away from someone who can get some use out of it?
I used to have 1000 books. I gave them away. It hurt but hoarding is not christian. That's how I shake it loose from my hands. If a time limit will help you,that's what you should do. I personally would forget them and keep them so theyhave to go right away.

·
Registered
877 Posts
RaineyDaye, you have raised an interesting question. I guess the main decision is: "Will I use it again? If so, when and how?" If you can't answer those questions, it may be time to throw it away.

It's hard to balance those two things: declutter, and saving...Good luck!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
When I get rid of things I usually take them to the consignment store..which in turn makes me money. So, I kind of view that as recycling. I don't have alot of clutter though, and my friends and family are aware that I don't like clutter, so I rarely get trinkets as gifts.
I am much more careful of what I bring into my house now than I used to be. I used to have the attitude of, well if I don't use it I can always get rid of it. Now, I give myself the third degree before I get something, that way it saves me from the hassle of later feeling guilty for not using it.

·
Registered
31,548 Posts
I constantly fight with this. I always think 'I can use it for something' and then the day comes where I get into a flinging mode and throw everything away! Then of course the day comes when I need what I threw away! :D

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
For example, last month I took down some levilor-type blinds. Most were in good condition, so they went to the thrift store, but one had been chewed by my cat. Since most of it was still good, I thought maybe I could reuse the slats for something.

I am with you on this one RD.......and guess what --I can think of ways to use stuff.....I think it is worse for me because I can 'justify' and 'think of things' to do with stuff.........but will I ever get it done is the question I have to ask myself.......I started to get rid of a little bit last year and hope to do better this year!!

those blinds? Do you garden? Cut them up and use them as markers for plants/rows/ name tags in your garden or pots!!! (yep, I have some in a cupboard!!)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I understand you!! I am scared I may throw something away and regret it.

·
Registered
12,027 Posts
I definitely need to declutter. My problem is memories. Have a serious problem with that.

Conflicts doing the stockpile challenge and also doing the pantry/freezer challenge. You put in and take out. But getting a handle on that one.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
I'm not much of a saver, but occasionally I get caught. "Jars are useful" seems to be hard wired in my brain. But when I started working through the kitchen, I found I have more than 20 of them. Why? In reality the only thing I use them for is to collect used grease. I pitched all but 4. Now I'm thinking, why keep those? I have a couple in the refrigerator just like them that will be empty soon. So one thing I need to keep in mind is how easily replaceable an item would be.

Big items, I'll think carefully about before giving them away, like an electric skillet I've been considering. I really like it, but haven't used it in a year. It's going. Will I miss it some day? I'm sure I will. But there are other ways to cook, or it would not have sat unused for so long, taking up a big chunk of space in my cabinet.

Small things I toss easily. I just added to the fling some measuring cups and spoons. I just don't bake anymore, so seldom use them. Will I miss them later? Maybe. But I could replace them for a buck at the dollar store. In the meanwhile, they won't be cluttering up my kitchen, aggravating me with their currently useless presence.

I do banish items sometimes that results in serious Flinger's Regret. But I guess for me less stuff is a higher priority than always having on hand exactly what I need. My problem is really more the opposite -- keeping things that only have occasional uses. I'm probably too quick to toss. I have a low tolerance for stuff and much of it makes me edgy. Those who don't mind it are doubtless more frugal, and hats off to them. I just can't do it.

I think we each just have to work out a balance that makes our space comfortable.

·
Registered
16,360 Posts
My conflict would be a no spend day. W/ frugal bargains. Maybe I'm just afraid i'll miss something that was a great deal. And thats not frugal if I needed it. The trouble is all the OTHER stuff I find when I get deals but then I have to declutter but then I have to stay home, and i might miss something.lol Just kidding around but I think we all struggle w/ this sometimes.

·
Registered
19,842 Posts
I have always been that way, worrying about whether I will need it later. In part, watching "Hoarders" has made me re-think my mindset. If I really feel like something might be useful, I try to decide if I have a "home" for it - a place where it belongs, with others of its kind, and where it doesn't contribute to mess in the living area. If the answer is no, I try to decide if it is valuable enough to create such a space, and then I weigh the possibility that I will use it again, and its potential "value" as raw material, against the value of the space it will take up, the additonal labour it will take to maintain the item, and the loss of visual space because it is adding to potential clutter. If it is one of those "it has value, but not really for me" things, I donate it or Freecycle it. If I haven't used it EVER for a year or more, or really noticed it if it is decorative, I force myself to toss it/donate it when I find it. I experience a second or two of doubt and regret, but the relief of having that teeny little liberating footprint of free space where the item used to be far outweighs any emotional difficulty I have letting the item go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.