Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my scanner in the mail. Wishing my 2 year old would take a nap so I can concentrate on all the paper in the box with it and learn how it works. Right now I have the I got a new toy feeling and want to play.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Oh pretty neat, gonna see if I can sign up :)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I signed up back in December, so it may take awhile before you get anything.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had signed up for it and ended up sending it back because it seemed to time consuming for me. Maybe if my kids were older and in school I could of done it, but with a 3 yr old & 1 yr old running around it was to hard for me to do it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I started doing it a few months ago. It's pretty easy but it can be time consuming scanning all the groceries when you get them home, but for me it's not too bad as I only shop for myself. The hardest part is trying to remember to scan things from vending machines (like a soda here and there) I can't wait to get enough points to shop their catalog!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does it take along time for the points to start adding up? My dh wanted to start scanning everything we have stock piled just so he can play with my new tool.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I did it for almost a year, but found it way to crazy. We shop 2x every month and I go to more than 4 stores in that one day. It took forever to scan and the kids all wanted to do it. I returned it last month and am donating all my points to the unicef.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I just got a letter today saying they have a scanner for me. I haven't decided yet if I am going to respond as everyone says it is a total PITA. I'm considering it because I only shop once a week and typically have only a handful of barcoded items.

I know it takes forever to get enough points to get anything, but I wish I knew if the prizes were even things I would actually want.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For prizes I can tell you I am eyeing a couple of outdoor toys for my 2 year old. Though they have the ipod shuffle and another ipod that I wouldn't mind having for myself. The things that catch my eye are pushing needing 100,000 points, though there are a few things in the catelog that are under 10,000 points. Some of the electronic stuff and kitchen stuff I look at and think if I can get the points they would make good christmas gifts, and they really wouldn't have cost me anything, to earn the points I am not buying anything I wouldn't normally buy.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've been doing this for almost a year now & have quite a few points plus have gotten some neat FREE gifts just for being a member:D I really like doing this. I do a lot of scanning.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I have a scanner, but mine is from Shoppers Hotline. I have been doing if for several years. I don't HAVE to scan every purchase. And they do surveys occasionally. They give Visa gift cards. I got a $50 gift card just before Christmas. Came in handy! Before that, I had gotten some other gift certificates, but they have switched and only do the Visa gift cards now.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was a member of the Canadian section of Homescan and ended up quitting and sending the stuff back. I didn't realize it before hand but I buy VERY little that is actually barcoded so my shopping trips were followed by me scanning the barcode card they send for popular produce items. And the surveys were generally a pita too because they were always about services I never use and things I never buy. They may have changed the prize catalogue (or have different items in the US) but the items available at lower price ranges were pretty cheesy items or things that I can pick up for a few dollars at discount stores. It really just wasn't worth the hassle.

·
Registered
679 Posts
just got a homescanner today

i just received a homescanner even though i did not reply to their emails asking if i wanted one ?!
it just came in the mail today. i'm wondering whether i should send it back or not. i only shop twice a month and little things in between. so i'm wondering if the points per week are the only ones you get --it says 150 each week for the first six months. anyone have any opinions on this?

G

·
After years of trying to qualify for this, DH actually qualified two months ago and we got ours two weeks ago. So far it's been pretty easy, we don't shop a whole lot.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have been doing it for about 3-4 months and already qualify for some gift vouchers etc. I found it a pita at first but now I get through it pretty quick. I usually sit on the living room floor and scan everything then put them back in the bags and take them out to the kitchen to unpack. It takes me maybe 10 minutes for a big shop

·
Registered
679 Posts
thanks for the replies :)
i guess i will take it out of the box and give it a try. hopefully i can earn enough points to get something out of it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I signed up. I'm waiting on the email with "further instructions"....I hope I won't have to wait long, we have a Nielsen office about 20 minutes away from me.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I recently qualified for a free gift & decided what I really could use was a wet/dry handvac & I REALLY like it:thumb: it works great & I'm already adding up points for my next gift which I hope will be something for my granddaughter :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts