Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm 32 years old and approximately 230 pounds, size 18/20, and *GASP* I'm actually OK with it!! :eek: Shocking, I know...practically everyone I know IRL is dieting or obsessed with their weight. I used to be (because what fat chick HASN'T tried dieting at least at some point?), but now I say, screw it. I like myself the way I am, my husband likes me the way I am (and too bad if he didn't!), and I just don't care what other people think. Dieting and counting every calorie/carb/fat gram sucks, and I REFUSE to deprive myself of the foods I love and live my life as a slave to Weight Watchers. I'm one of the healthiest people I know, I eat right (most of the time, but I have my junk and fast food moments, and I don't ever feel guilty about it!! :hungry:), and I exercise (I LOVE my Wii Fit and riding my bike!!). You CAN be fat and fit, although it seems most people can't comprehend that...like if you're even a little overweight you must eat Twinkies non-stop and sit in front of the TV all day. :fpunch::hand::bs2:

There are several online communities and sites (such as the "fatshionista" community on Livejournal) that feel the exact same way that I do! Does anyone here?? :munch::applause::wave:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I will say that about 90% of the time I feel the way you do. I would say I am about 40lbs overweight, however, I eat VERY healthy. I rarely eat processed foods or junk food. I am fairly active, but I just don't "exercise" enough to drop the pounds.

I think I am cute and I figure, if people don't like me because of the way I look instead of liking me for my personality, then they aren't worth me getting upset over.

The 10% of the time I don't like my weight is when my mother brings it up. It is hard to turn off THAT voice. I am working on my ignore button though. :D

Good for you for liking YOU.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I do! I will admit that I wouldn't mind being thinner just because it would be easier to bend and move around but I no longer aspire to be thin. I refuse to diet, refuse to limit my activities, refuse to hide myself away because other people might be uncomfortable. I'm a recovering bulemic/binge eater (when I was pregnant I stopped purging but not binging, now that my oldest is 10 I've been binge free for about 6 months). Now I am a big proponant of Health At Every Size and a Kate Harding follower. We have some great discussions about this in the emotional eating forum... some of the ladies who post there do still desire to lose weight but I'm okay with that, as long as their okay with me loving my round self. Glad to meet a fellow FA believer. :D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I like myself no matter what my size, because of health issues my weight fluctuates up and down. Right now it's up. I don't mind it, dh doesn't mind it and I have very good friends who love me no matter what - so yeah I am happy not dieting.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Yes I am short and fat......... I am trying to lose weight the right way because of my health........ Some of my meds cause weight gain. I feel people need to see me not my weight........ I am happy my children love me and so do my grandchildren. Nobody else matters. If you can't see past my weight then I don't want to be around you. My ddil says I don't eat enough, because I am big she thinks I should eat alot....
Fern

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I am not bothered by my weight for vanity reasons, neither is my husband, friends or family. However, I was recently diagnosed has beening diabetic. I am 35 yrs old, 5'11", and weigh 176 pounds. I am trying really hard to lose some weight at this point to gain control of my diabetes and hopefully go off of the meds I am currently on. I would like a few more years of being drug free, able to control my diabetes through diet and exercise.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I am trying to be okay with it. If the rest of the world would let me be okay with it I would be. It's not myself that has the issue per say. It's hard living in a tropical climate because swim suits are a staple and I have yet to see one that looked good on me.

At the first of the year I started a plan to loose weight. But I just couldn't get into it. I came to me that I just didn't really want to,tHat I am ok. My Husband is a attracted to me, and he is the only man I care to attract. So I ditched my plan and I am focusing on loving what I see.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am large (5'4" and about 213 pounds) and I don't really mind it. I don't care what others think of me. My dh tells me constantly that I am NOT fat and he and the kids don't mind it at all.

However, my weight has led to me having some health issues and I do mind that! I feel miserable and it's hard for me to do the things I want to do. So I am trying to lose weight for health reasons. If it wasn't for that, I would stay just the way I am!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I am overweight. I am losing, but only because I have Type II diabetes in the family and I know I will wind up with it if I don't lose some. But, I don't plan on losing down to where I am "thin" just "thinner". I hope that makes sense. I am planning on losing 50ish pounds and leaving it at that.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I am about 60 lbs overweight and I dont like the way it makes me feel. So I have started exercising. Now I dont think I will ever weigh what I did at 21 but a more comfortable and healthy weight would make me happy

·
Banned
952 Posts
I'm morbidly obese. I'm 5'11" and weigh 321lbs. I am definitely not crying the blues because I'm so fat. Life's too short for that nonsense. I'm more fit than alot of skinny people. I workout 4 days a week. I eat a low salt, low fat diet for health reasons. I would love to lose enough weight to be able to be off the BP medicine. That would be wonderful! But, otherwise I have no problems being a BBW!

·
4,028 Posts
Curvy not angular!

I see myself more as Rubenesque. Curves, a little more ample at the hips than I like (but that's because of some hip arthritis). I have been working on losing some of my excess weight but that is more due to the arthritis and the higher risk of cardiac issues that run in my family. Having said that though... I move better, I have less pain and I have more energy than I did 30 pounds ago.

Do I want to be waffer thin? Nope! No way! Ain't gonna happen! But I do want to be healthy. I plan on keeping some of my curves but not to the extent that it is detrimental to me physically.

So :clap: to all you beautiful Rubenesques!

a soso definition.

Reactions: aprilrain1024

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm 6'1 and about a size 24. My whole family is big and I'm one of the fittest out of all of us. I used to be a varsity swimmer in high school, my body fat was less than 8% and my arms were WMD's. Oh, and the smallest I ever was then was size 20. Some gals are just never meant to be svelte.

Now I feel much more feminine, I have boobs and hips. Sometimes I feel self concious and sometimes people make comments, but I'm happy with how I look. And as long as I stay healthy, I plan to keep it that way. And occasionally, being built like a brick-you-know-what is a lot of fun.

Life's too short to feel inadequate and awkward.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
i've lost 30lbs and you know what? doest make a difference. i still feel like i did back then but i dont know if thats just how a lot of people feel or if its because i have an ed :shrug2:

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
i've lost 30lbs and you know what? doest make a difference. i still feel like i did back then but i dont know if thats just how a lot of people feel or if its because i have an ed :shrug2:

You will most likely always think your still fat if your anything like me..I was heavy most of my life then out of the blue I started dropping pounds left and right (I was 195lbs at the time) I didn't change any of my eating habits but was losing a couple of pounds a week..the panick set in that I must have cancer because their was no reason at all for me to lose the weight so I went to the Dr's to have a complete checkup including having my pap done as I had a cancer scare when I was pregnant with my son along with a bunch of blood work..the Dr came up with nothing at all no reason other except it must be stress..I ended up at a small 133lbs (I'm 5'3)and flutuated no more then 142lb and at my lowest 128lbs and that was my weight for 10yrs and still thought I was "FAT" when in fact I was a size petite 5 to a size 6 .... Now on April 7th which is my birthday I quit smoking 2yrs ago (I smoked for 27yrs and was a heavy smoker between 2 to 3 packs a day)and now I'm a Big Fat Cow weighing 203lbs the heaviest I've ever been in my life...I now look back on how small I really was and should have been happy with myself but wasn't and I regret not buying those new clothes or going to the water park with my kids or having my hair done and so on..Why didn't I do all those things?? because I thought I was to fat! I hope to have enough will power to be able to lose all this disgusting FAT..I've alway's loved food and even when I was a small person it was nothing for me to eat a dozen cookies or have a second helping of food because I really didn't gain the weight back then...So I will struggle more to lose weight then quiting (my best friend..the ciggs) smoking..I hope to wear those size 6's again someday...Anyway go live it up girl..YOUR A TINY PERSON...(((HUGS))...~Brenda~

·
Registered
945 Posts
I know how this feels. Its one of the reasons I'm through with dieting. Changing my looks to fit into other people's ideals will never make me happy. My ED has robbed me of inner peace for long enough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do! I will admit that I wouldn't mind being thinner just because it would be easier to bend and move around but I no longer aspire to be thin. I refuse to diet, refuse to limit my activities, refuse to hide myself away because other people might be uncomfortable. I'm a recovering bulemic/binge eater (when I was pregnant I stopped purging but not binging, now that my oldest is 10 I've been binge free for about 6 months). Now I am a big proponant of Health At Every Size and a Kate Harding follower. We have some great discussions about this in the emotional eating forum... some of the ladies who post there do still desire to lose weight but I'm okay with that, as long as their okay with me loving my round self. Glad to meet a fellow FA believer. :D
Yay elphie!! I LOVE Kate Harding and Shapely Prose...that's one my of my favorite FA sites. Good for you for overcoming your bulimia. The whole subject of fat vs. thin is such a touchy one, and I'm always glad to talk to people who know that you can be healthy no matter what your size.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the great responses! I'm glad that there are several of you who understand my point of view and feel the same way I do. I think, like some of you, the only way I would actively try to lose weight is if it were related to a serious health issue, such as diabetes. Hopefully that won't happen, but you just never know. But in regards to my personal life and the societal aspect of it, I'm totally fine being fat, and I've accepted my body as it is. Life is too short! :clap::teddy2:

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't know if I am neccessarily "happy" with or OK with being fat, but I have accepted it. I know that I need to loose about 100lbs to not have as many health concerns. Have I tried? Heck yeah! And I'm morbidly obese, but I try and eat the healthiest foods possible, try to get some exercise (more than the day before kwim?). I am very happy to see so many bbw who are happy/ok with their weight. :clap:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I used to be pretty heavy and was just fine with it. Health was excellent and I was fit. There wasn't anything a thin person couldn't do that I couldn't.

All that changed in my mid 40's. Blood pressure was the first to rear it's ugly head. Three pills a day just to maintain at borderline 140/90. I never had knee problems and I could touch the palms of my hands flat to the floor anytime I wanted. I ignored the BP problem. That's what the meds were for.

In my 50's I took a serious injury to my hip and spine. Had a hip replacement. Now have arthritis of the spine. Also have insulin resistance and feel like crap if I don't follow a very low carb diet.

I've lost most of the weight and am fighting again to take off the 20 lbs. I've gained over the last two years. At risk is my hip replacement, the degree of arthritic changes to the spine, my blood pressure which is now outstanding and the whole insulin resistant thing.

DH and family loved me fat. No one ever made me feel self-concious of my weight. No one acted ashamed of me. I had their acceptance then. Now I have all that and more. Now I have their gratitude for having lost so much weight because they don't worry as much about my dying prematurely from weight related issues.

A great number of things can happen to our bodies between 30 something and 60 something. I will regret it deeply when it's my turn to go but I won't be going with knife and fork in hand.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts