Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in how families managed during the great Depression era. Does anyone have any book recommendations or websites devoted to this?

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I would actually love to know this as well, I feel like our family is in it's own depression right now so this info., would help me out tremendously right now.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
A couple of really good books are by Rita Van Amber.
Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930's Vol 1 &2
We'll Eat Again By Marguerite Patten (About how the depression affected England)
Dining During the Depression By Reminisce Books
The Worst Hard Time By Timothy Egan
The Dollmaker By Harriette Arnow

I've ready lots of other books on the depression and find it a very intresting time in our history. There are several books about how our depression effected countries like England and Canada. I find the ingenuity of the everyday housewife fascinating.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
27 Posts
Personally I loved the book "We had Everything, but Money"
it has some wonderful pictures and stories that take the day to day live of Americans and shows both the frustration and the hope.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read We had everything but money and it was great. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
For children, especially girls ages 8-11, the American Girl stories about "Kit" (there are several books), give a child's eye view of the Depression.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have "When the banks closed we opened our hearts" and "We had everything but money" by the same publishers. I love both of them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For children, especially girls ages 8-11, the American Girl stories about "Kit" (there are several books), give a child's eye view of the Depression.
Barb,

ITA with what Deb said to you on this. Also, recommend you check their official website out as well. Sorry for the moment I can't post the url to it and which is just American Girl.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
If you want a general overview to the Great Depression, I would suggest "The Dummies Guide to the Great Depression".

I would also recommend subscribing to "Good Old Days" and "Reminisce" magazines. Both are great sources of oral history!

I own nearly every book that Reiman publications has printed. They are the ones who did "When the Banks Closed..." and "We Had Everything...". Both are wonderful reads!

Also, check out the books that House of White Birches (Good Old Days publishers) did. They are great as well!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I am interested so I just requested the "When the Banks Closed" and "We had Everything but Money" from the library.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
This thread got me thinking about my dad, who was born in 1929 in the "Deep South". I asked him today what it was like growing up in the Depression. He said he never even had a pair of shoes until he was six years old! I had no idea.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thanks for all the recommendations! I will call the library when I get back from vacation. I find it amazing what families did to survive and how many of them found creative ways to make things work. The concept of no shoes until school age is amazing to me. My father tells me that his Dad used to set up an informal barber shop on the porch and cut all the childrens hair. In return neighbors would share their produce, eggs and the like with his family. Now most of us dont even really know many of our neighbors anymore...myself included!

·
Registered
197 Posts
any infor would be great I love the post so far what is so interesting is I was born 11-17-66 my dad was born 1-11-09 my mom 11-23-23 depression babies they have passed on now but i would still like info

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The great depression is my favorite period in history, I find it facinating how people coped and the fact that so many had hope and joy even when things were so hard. PBS had a couple of series that I saw that were excellent. Both were a part of the The American experience series "riding the rails" and "surviving the dust bowl"and I think one actually titled "the great depression"

·
Registered
125 Posts
My grandmother was born in 1906 and she used to tell me about the great depression. I was very small and don't remember much of what she said except that they ate popcorn every night for dinner.

This is a period of history I plan on covering while homeschooling and I am interested to learn more myself!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've been a lurker on this thread because I'm interested, but had no better suggestions.

Yesterday I found "We had everything but money" for $4 at a used book store. If I hadn't read about the title here, it wouldn't have jumped out at me from the shelf! Yay for Frugal Villagers!

Read the whole thing last night; it was VERY good.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
the walton feed site has interesting info.

my MIL and FIL, who were children/teenagers during the depression are still alive, and "there", and i pick their brain when i visit. they don't go to the stores, shop carefully and save, save, save. they taught my hubby some skills like making furniture, reusing and keeping things lke screws, and good money management. they put five children through out of state advanced degrees by paying cash.

sometimes the hoarding can become dysfunctional. like eating food that should be tossed, or having a basement full of junkola that need to be cleared out.

i was the one who needed to learn from them becuase my parents were 60 generation and had affluenza and taught it to me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
both my parents were born during the depression. It's funny my father once told me he didnt realize how poor he was because so was everyone else.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts