Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to sort through all of this lawncare. It's been a long time since I did it myself. Does anyone use a spreader and do their own lawncare?

Ok, let me try and remember what I did and if anyone can let me know if I have forgotten something.

I always started out in the spring with grub killer because I hate skunks and moles and they love grubs, so grub killer is my main thing. LOL

Then still in early spring a fertilizer/turf builder of some sort. Preferably one that stops the crabgrass from growing.

Then by May some sort of weed killer. (to prevent dandelions) Have to make sure it's not a rainy week.

Then fertilize through summer. Prep in the fall with a fall/winter fertilizer.

I'm new in MI so am not sure if I will need to dethatch or aerate.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok ok I heard ya the first time. roflmao

kidding..just being corny over here.

edited to add...
oh sure now you deleted it and I look even more like some weirdo. LOL

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
LOL you two crack me up! I am planning to weed and feed my lawn this month. I am in charge of all the mowing when dh is out of town. (which seems to be every time the grass needs mowing!) LOL

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Sara, Dh says you do not want to put grub killer down in the spring as grubs are not active until September. He says July 1 would be a good time.

Now you need to use a pre-emergent fertilizer 22-0-06. Wait 30 to 40 days and do it again. That would be the crabgrass preventor.

After the second application, wait 30-40 days again, put down staight fertilizer 36-3-7. He reccomends Scott's or Anderson products. ( He says Anderson's bought out Scott's)

For grub control, use Merrit. For weed control use Trimec or Triplet.

On pre-emergent, put it down a 4 1/2 lb/1000 sq ft. On the straight fertilizer, 3 lb/1000 sq ft. Grub control 4 lb/1000sq ft.

Since you live in MI, not IA, you may want to check on the grub life cycle for your state.

In case you can't tell, this is his line of work.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Karen helppppp.

Ok, I have not put anything on my lawn yet because we were dragging branches across it.
Today I manually aerated it. (oh boy was that a fun workout) LOL

I have fertilizer/crabgrass preventor
fertilizer/weed/feed
grub killer (well multi insect killer)
and seed

Now I already see a little crabgrass and some dandelions. Please tell me what order I should go. I see what he said, but am I too late?

My main concern is how long before I can seed. Is it ok to seed same time as fertilizing or grub killing? (I used to only seed in the fall, but this grass is dang ugly with a lot of bare spots)

I know timing is everything, but honestly our bulbs just started blooming this weekend and we've still had frost this past week.

I need advice from your dh.
Thank you so much.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I'll show him your post when he gets home.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Sara, dh writes

"Put your grass seed down NOW!!! Wait about 10 - 14 days then put down your crabgrass preventor and fertilizer (i'm guessing after the grass has germinated) Don't put down your insecticide yet!! TOO EARLY Wait 30 days and put fert down again. You need to find out when grubs are active in your area before applying your insecticide, usually 30 - 45 days before they are active".

Hope this helps. If you PM or email me your number, he can call and talk to you.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now see? I would have done the fert/crab grass preventor (first part of spring), then grub killer, then the fertilizer weed/feed, (mid to late spring) then grass seed. (any time) :eek:

Thanks for the info. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts