Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two rats and have noticed that they are fighting ALOT lately.

This morning the more submissive one looked a little sick. His eyes were droopy and wasn't moving like he normally does.

I'm thinking of separating them for a while. Supposedly rats like company and they get lonely, thats why I have two but if they're hurting each other, should I separate them?

Also if the one is sick and not hurt like I think, maybe I should separate them anyway.

anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know no one posted but thought I would update ...
So I took Scooby (my rat) to the vet yesterday and she listened to his little heart and took xrays and he has fluid in his lungs and he has a mass in his lungs the size of a lima bean. The vet said it was probably cancer and its terminal and he has about 2-3 weeks to live.

I kept saying "what"...I just couldn't believe what she was telling me. He was fine up until Tuesday.

So as James (my 5yr old son) and I were walking out of the vet I asked him if he understood that Scooby was really sick and that he was probably going to die. He said "so are we going to put him in the garbage can?". Little stinker! NO we're not going to put him in the garbage can!!!

I can never have a dog, if I am this upset over a rat I couldn't imagine what I would be like if I had a "real" pet.

So Scooby is on medication to help with the fluid in his lungs and an antibiotic in case its an infection.

And the vet kept talking about "the humane thing to do". I just can't imagine driving to the vet to have him put down. If he dies, I hope he just dies in his sleep.

I'm so sad!!!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Poor Scooby. Spend your time in happiness and creating memories. When the time comes, you'll know. It's ok to make that drive to the Vet, have a friend drive you if need be, the most kind thing we can do is end their pain and suffering before the only thing they remember is the pain and suffering.

Wishing you much peace.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Sorry can't help you. I am so afraid of rats and mice. Gives me the shivers.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am so sorry. I just noticed this post, I have had rats, and I loved them dearly. Rats don't live that long about 3 years is old for a rat. One of mine got cancer, another one had a lung infection. I know you said that you had two, rats are very social and do love company. After one of my rats died ( we only ever had two at a time) my other one got depressed and we had to start grooming him in the sick, and had to give him lots of attention. It is hard they are very lovable and you do get very attached to them.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took Scooby back to the vet today for a follow up visit and he got a clean bill of health! His lungs are clear and he's gained 3oz.

I would have had to have another Xray taken to determine if the mass in his lungs got any smaller, which I didn't do. The doctor said everything was good!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
yay for Scooby. I had rats for a short time and they were great. Kept my step mother from comming into my bedroom! Ha! I didn't know what little personalities they'd have, but they sure do! Enjoy him.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Way to go Scooby! Aren't you glad you didn't jump the gun and have him put down. Hopefully he will be around for a long time to come.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.