Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother lives near Phoenix and dd and I will be going to visit him for a few days in mid July. He has not been there very long, and other than golf courses and restaurants, doesn't have a lot of ideas for us. He is much older than me and has never had kids. I have looked at the Phoenix Tourism site and see lots of things on it for us to do but..... I am wondering if anyone has been there/or live there now and would give me real life opinions of what we should see or do. Keep in mind it was 113 degrees the other day and we don't want dd to melt. On the tourism sites things always look great but in the past I have found them to be somewhat inaccurate. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance,
pat

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Boyce Thompson Arboretum
Just an hour from Phoenix or 90 minutes from north Tucson -- its no wonder the Arboretum is consistantly voted "Best Day Trip" in polls of residents from both cities.

The Arboretum is located at Highway 60 Milepost #223, about one hour due east of Phoenix on the Superstition Freeway. From Tucson, take highway 79 to Florence Junction, then 12 miles east on Highway 60 brings you right to our front gate.

We are open daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., every day except Dec. 25. Admission is $6 for adults, $3 for ages 5 to 12; children under age five are admitted free.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
We were in Pheonix in Feb. We did take a couple of daytrips to the Grand Canyon and to Tombstone. The Pheonix zoo was a little pricey it is privatly owned, but it is a really nice zoo. There is a challenger science center that your dd is old enough to enjoy. The scenery is beautiful. Pheonix sits in a canyon and you can see the mountains all around. The saguaro national forest is not to far and we enjoyed it too. As for the 113 degrees it is different because it is so dry. It is hard to explain. The air is very thin and will probably make you swell don't freak out like I did. LOL I hope you enjoy it. It was the most beautiful city I have been in. Oh if you get a chance drive downtown and go down Central Street It has the old historical homes and is beautiful.

·
Registered
948 Posts
My step-kids all used to live with their mother near Phoenix. Dh and I visited them there 3 yrs. ago. I have to agree that 113 degrees in Phoenix is not at all like 113 degrees in MN (or VA, for that matter). No humidity, which makes a huge difference. Right on the south side of Phoenix is a wonderful state park (sorry, can't remember the name) where you can hike. Just remember to bring sun screen and water and you should be fine. There's also the best little miniature golf course in Scottsdale - just off of the main road between Phoenix and Scottsdale. It's got this old west theme and dh and I had a blast playing there!

Good luck in whatever you find to do - and let us know how the trip ends up!

Wendy

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I am sending this info on to my brother for him to check out these places before we get there. I can't wait. I have never been off the east coast, so this is pretty exciting stuff for me. We are going mid July and I will give an update when we get back.

pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts