Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how may here make their own Body scrubs, what kind of oils do you use in yours? I made some with grapeseed and sugar,I used it for my legs, they get dry skin in the winter time. I also love making homemade soaps. I'm happy with the way my skin feels now, before all I did was itch.

Reactions: sinopa27

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I have a few recipes but my favorite is a sugar scrub that I usually use almond oil in........I like them.

With our dry air here you need something. I need to make some more as I am out. Also need to make some more of my handcream. My skin is starting to tell me that 'winter is here'.......UGH!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My skin is saying that too:winter:. I use plain oil on my face because my skin will start to flake and I can't stand it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The body shop has a Eucalyptus body scrub that I love. I just hate the price! I would love to make it at home if I knew how and if it would be comparable to the results I get. I'm open to suggestions!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I found some great body scrub recipes on marthastewart.com. My sister and I are going to make them to give as gifts. My niece (5) loves to help since some of the scrubs go to her pre-school teachers.

We also make bath salts. They are nice too. These recipes are on the website also.

Have fun!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
The body shop has a Eucalyptus body scrub that I love. I just hate the price! I would love to make it at home if I knew how and if it would be comparable to the results I get. I'm open to suggestions!

If you have the euc. oil, I would bet that you could make something very comparable at home. Does it have a strong eucalyptus smell? Can you tell what oil is in it? Do you know if it is a salt scrub or a sugar scrub? Bet we can figure it out..........

Post the ingredients that it lists.......and we will try.

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo FF - I would truly be interested in the eucalyptus scrub - love that smell - need to take a ride upcountry just to breathe that fragrance in!! Okay, I'm ready to learn how to make body scrubs!!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Mahalo FF - I would truly be interested in the eucalyptus scrub - love that smell - need to take a ride upcountry just to breathe that fragrance in!! Okay, I'm ready to learn how to make body scrubs!!!
Body scrubs are super easy.......I don't have time tonight but will post the recipe that I like. will post it on this thread.....

Start saving any cute small containers with lids.......plastic or glass isn't too important UNLESS you don't like having glass in the bathtub area. (I don't, so I use plastic)

Euc. is 'usually' one of the cheaper essential oils too.......so pick up a small bottle when you see it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Body scrubs are super easy.......I don't have time tonight but will post the recipe that I like. will post it on this thread.....

Start saving any cute small containers with lids.......plastic or glass isn't too important UNLESS you don't like having glass in the bathtub area. (I don't, so I use plastic)

Euc. is 'usually' one of the cheaper essential oils too.......so pick up a small bottle when you see it.
Looking forward to your post. Would love to try this!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a few recipes but my favorite is a sugar scrub that I usually use almond oil in........I like them.

With our dry air here you need something. I need to make some more as I am out. Also need to make some more of my handcream. My skin is starting to tell me that 'winter is here'.......UGH!
Can you post the almond oil recipe? That sounds wonderful. Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You can google body scrubs and there plenty of recipes to try. My skin just loves grapeseed oil. I love using it all over my body. You can add essential oils to most oils for massage oils. Just make sure that the oil have good slip. Also make sure the essential oils are safe for skin.

Reactions: mauimagic

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo - looking forward to the recipe(s) FF!!

Reactions: frugalfranny

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Roman Salt Glow

4 Tbsp. sea salt - available at most groc. stores
1 Tbsp. epsom salt -available at $ store
6 to 8 drops essential oil (or no more than 10 if want it stronger)
3 Tbsp. almond oil (can use oilive, hazelnut, or safflower or mixture)
1/2 teas. granulated sea kelp - optional (have never used this)

Combine all ingredients and place in container.
To use: scoop a small amt. into palm and gently exfoliate skin.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Brown Sugar Body Buff (this is my favorite!)

1/2 Cup brown sugar (can use granulated for grainier scrub)
1/2 Cup fine sea salt (if yours is the bigger stuff, run it through a chopper)
1/4 Cup of almond oil (or combination of sunflower, safflower, olive or other oil) I have used Jojoba too....but it is pricey!
1/2 Cup of shredded soap (optional) - any soap will do.
1 Tbsp. kaolin or china clay
T Tbsp. honey
1 Teasp. Vitamin E oil -(c/b tedious but you CAN 'pop' the pills for this - I have done it when someone gave me some of their outdated Vit. E)
1 Teasp. essential oils - if desired

Mix all ingredients in small bowl. Put into capped container.
Put a small amt. in palm and gently rub skin. Towel off LIGHTLY....you don't want to rub off the oil.

Not sure where to tell you to get the clay.....I ordered some years ago....still using it. Try a 'yuppy' type store....or a health food store....if you don't want to order it on-line. Maybe someone can suggest a 'local' store in their area to give you some idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The eucalyptus smell from the Body Shop was sugar based and a very strong smell. I could smell it for a whole day throughout my bathroom and master bedroom when I used it.

Thanks for the recipes!

I bet the cost to make it is half the cost to buy it. I think I paid $18 for a large container.

·
19,119 Posts
FF - mahalo for the recipes - when you say that we can substitute olive oil for almond oil - what kind of olive oil? The same kind we use for cooking? Also, where do you get essential oils? Can you tell I'm a newbie at this? Mahalo!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I bet the cost to make it is half the cost to buy it. I think I paid $18 for a large container.
Other than the oils, the cost is MINIMAL....you can tell by the ingredients. And since you only use a 'few drops' of oil....they aren't really too bad either.

The Euc. is such a strong smell anyway....bet if you had the oils it would be close to the same. I have even hung an Euc. stem/branch in my shower.......it helps my sinuses.

FF - mahalo for the recipes - when you say that we can substitute olive oil for almond oil - what kind of olive oil? The same kind we use for cooking? Also, where do you get essential oils? Can you tell I'm a newbie at this? Mahalo!!
Hey MM, you might be a newbie, but trust me, once you start making these you will be hooked......and talk about easy!!! And they make GREAT gifts!!

I have people saving the plastic Garber baby food containers for me. They are rectangular.....easy to get your fingers into - cap comes off easy but they do have a cap - cover the top and/or sides with some cute fabric or ??whatever (the top says Gerber on it) and wa-la.....cute gift!

Yes, substitute any UNFLAVORED olive oil.....I buy the cheap stuff for this.......use the more expensive for cooking. But unless it is a 'garlic' flavored or something......use whatever is in your cupboard.

The essential oils can sometimes be found at a health food store or Jo Ann's carries some...........in the soap section. Since you will be putting these on your body the essential oils will be better than the 'fragrance' oils.......be sure to check. Think Michaels carries some too........or they used to. Not sure but WM might even carry them........not sure what section they would be in........

If you can't find them in stores in your area, get back to me. I have lots of addresses on-line that carry them...but that means shipping charges.

·
19,119 Posts
You must be a mind reader FF - I just checked back here and was wondering if you had responded to my questions - and there you are - right at the top of the line!! Mahalo - I really appreciate it!!

I am very happy that I can use regular olive oil. That's what I am using on my skin at night and I've been very happy with the results. Now I need to find some small jars. I can see how easy it would be to get hooked!!

Just remember that I think someone gave me some eucalyptus oil - shall check it out!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts