Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not from the box..lol I'm looking for a tried and true recipe.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I'm interested too. I have only made lemon curd from scratch.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
This is the recipe that I have used for years. My Mom used the same one, I am not sure but I think it might have originally came off the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can.

I am sorry I don't have a vanilla one, we are all such chocoholics that we never even considered making anything but chocolate.

Chocolate Pudding

3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbs. cornstarch
2 2/3 cups milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbs. margarine or butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

In a heavy medium saucepan combine sugar, cocoa, and cornstarch. Stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Return all of the egg mixture to the saucepan. Cook till nearly bubbly but DO NOT BOIL. Reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in margarine and vanilla.
Pour pudding into a bowl. Cover the surface with clear plastic wrap to prevent a skim forming on top. Allow to cool.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yes I have made Homemade Vanilla Pudding from Scratch...
I can't find the recipe that I used to make the Homemade Vanilla Pudding but I found one that is very simlar to how I made the Pudding.
This one is Called Boiled Custard
3/4 cup sugar(12 tablespoons)
2 T. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
2eggs
1qt. sweet milk( 4 cups)
2 tsp. vanilla
Steps:
Mix sugar,cornstarch,salt in top of double boiler over medium heat. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Stir in milk, gradually, until thick, Heat to boiling point , do not boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts