Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of switching to handmade soap for the sake of my skin and my kids skin. We all have super dry skin, I have psoriasis, and my kids have mild excema. I have found a couple on Etsy that look good.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5503972

I would love to use the good smelling kind, but I'm afraid of the sensitivity.

Anyone use handmade soaps? Any suggestions for allergy prone skin? I am allergic to cashews and avoid all nut trees. I try not to use anything with shea nut butter or almond oil.

Thanks for any replies,

Whitney

·
Registered
164 Posts
I LOVE handmade soaps. I find they last sooo much longer so you end up paying the same amount. Compared with Dove that melts SOO quick (they really air whip that stuff) real soap lasts weeks on end. One bar lasts me at least a month or so compared to Dove lasting a week. I have tried my hand at making soap but honestly I like buying soap better from different sellers as there's more variety out there than what I can make (although I do plan on making some loofah soaps soon).

·
Registered
164 Posts
There are two ways to make soap (most common anyway) which is melt and pour or cold process (using lye). Here is a site: http://www.millersoap.com/ Melt and pour is good if you don't want to go through alot of trouble mixing with lye, etc. however cold process will always have the better end result I think as it's more soapy. I have made melt and pour and that's decent enough to as you can easily add things such as oatmeal, lavender, etc. but cold process for real soap :) I am actually planning on making soap using melt and pour to make loofah soaps soon in a pringles can. Like with all hobbys the initial expense is the most though although you can substitute alot of things if you just want to try it out first so it's more cost effecient. I really love yummy smelling homemade soap. I've made soaps from things like rosehips, coffee grinds, oatmeal, cocoa butter, etc. but haven't in awhile. If you're lazy though you might want to just buy it from a seller of etsy or ebay first to see if you like it so if you're interested later you can make it yourself. I really like buying different soaps from different makers as they all make their soap just a bit different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts