Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Anyone make your own yogurt?

I made my own several times using the method in TWG, but then had a couple of batches turn out runny and quit. I'm about to try again and wondered if anyone has any idiot-proof tips? :dunce:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've made my own yogurt about every week or every other week for quite awhile now. I tried all different methods at first; leave it in a warmish oven, the hot water in an insulated cooler method, heating pad etc. They all seemed to turn out runny and really not much more than thick milk. Then I discovered that I could use my dehydrator to make it and I will NEVER do it any other way again. Here are the directions that I use...

Heat 1 gal. milk to about 180* (scalded but not boiling) while stirring to keep it from burning on the bottom.

Turn off the heat and let it cool to about 88*

Turn on the dehydrator to about 118* and let it warm up.

To the milk add 8 oz. plain yogurt that says "contains live cultures" and stir thoroughly.

Pour into clean quart mason jars and sit inside the dehydrator. Leave it for anywhere between 4 and 30 hrs. depending on how thick and tart you want it. I've found 6-8 hrs. to be about perfect for smooth and creamy yogurt.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the info--how about putting the jars in a crockpot on low? Does it get too hot? I always used a heating pad when I did it before and it worked fine until it didn't. =D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the info--how about putting the jars in a crockpot on low? Does it get too hot? I always used a heating pad when I did it before and it worked fine until it didn't. =D
Yes, I've heard that you can put the yogurt mix directly into the crockpot (instead of in jars first to save room) but I haven't tried it.

From what I gather, to make it in the crockpot you:

*scald and cool the milk just like in the dehydrator method and then add the starter

*pour the milk/yogurt mix directly into the crockpot and heat on low without the lid (cover with a dish towel instead) for 1 hr. (some crockpots get really hot really fast though so you may have to decrease this time)

*turn off the heat after an hour and let it sit for 1-2 hrs. If after 1 - 2 hrs. it's not as solidified as you'd like it then heat the crockpot for another 30 min. and then turn it off for awhile again. Repeat as many times as necessary until it's close to where you want it. The yogurt will firm up a little more once it cools in the fridge.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have found that making my yogurt using good greek yogurt as starter has made for thicker yogurt. I just had to invest a couple dollars the first time and of course use my own yogurt to start now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
How about adding powdered milk--is it really necessary to add extra powder? I used to make it with all powdered, but dry milk is more $$$ than liquid everywhere I look these days.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I didn't have much success in the crockpot. I just bought a yogurt maker but have not used it yet. I figured I needed something a bit more reliable where the temperature is accurately controlled.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Try adding about a 1/2-3/4 dry milk with the liquid milk before scalding. I make mine in a bowl and just put it next to the woodstove wrapped in a towel and my yogurt has so far turned out thick and creamy. I use skim milk and it's so great to have totally non fat, no added sugar yogurt made fresh!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I make my own yogurt. But, I picked up a yogurt maker at Tuesday Morning for a steal and use it. It seems pretty fool proof... I have no trouble with it!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I LOVE my salton yogurt maker (1 quart) in makes a perfect batch everytime!! Super easy to make as well!!!Katy P.S. comes with a book and recipes too

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looking for Homemade Yogurt Recipe

Does anyone have a homemade yogurt recipe they could share? We eat tons of yogurt, and thought I would try making my own.

Thanks in advance.

Aj

·
Registered
77 Posts
Homemade Yogurt
2 qt. milk (i used powdered milk mixed with water and added extra powdered milk mixed in to make it more rich)
About 5 Tbs. plain yogurt

Scald milk by heating to 180 degrees F. Cool to 115 degrees F (can be done in the sink filled with cold water). Stir yogurt until smooth. Pour 1 cup of scalded milk in yogurt and stir until mixed. Add milk and yogurt mixture to remaining milk and stir.

Mixture should be put in several containers (I used quart glass jars) that the yogurt will be stored in after making.

Put containers in an insulated chest (cooler, ice chest, etc.) along with two quart jars filled with hot water (115 degrees F.). Leave yogurt, undisturbed for 8-10 hours. Remove and put in the refrigerator.

I made yogurt for the first time last week, and it turned out beautifully. I froze what was left of the bought yogurt in ice cube trays and then transferred to freezer container to make more homemade batches. I've heard you can also save some of the homemade yogurt to make more. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
cp yogurt?

Has anyone tried it in here i seen the recpie here and other sites. but i want to know if its tested and did it really work?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yogurt Recipe

Has anyone made their own yogurt...with or wirhout a yogurt maker.The one brand I like seems to be going up in price every week and I wonder if I could make my own

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
i guess not. lots of viewers but no takers lol oh well

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I was hoping someone would respond too b/c after this weekend I was going to try it. I tried to make some in a thrifted yogurt maker I bought but it didn't turn out. I'm gonna try the cp next......if you try it let me know? I want to be able to eat yogurt w/o the high fructose corn syrup......and artificial sweeteners. :sigh:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I was just thinking yesterday about making my own yogurt. I've made my own cottage cheese before and it was fun, but didn't taste as good as "real" cottage cheese, so I probably won't do it again to save money. But with as much yogurt as I eat these days, I was wondering if making my own would save some moola! I will definately be trying this at least once!

I'm not totally stoked to use whole milk, but I think I will take her advice and start with whole milk, then once I get the hang of it, try some of her other methods listed to get lower fat or non fat yogurt! I'm excited, I think I will try this this weekend!

21 - 40 of 62 Posts