Frugal Village Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I make mine using nonfat dry milk in a yogrut maker that I bought off Amazon for $14.99. I recouped the $14.99 in under a month.

·
Banned
952 Posts
We eat alot of yogurt here. And I'd like to learn to make my own. Has anyone done this? Is it hard? Have any recipes?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I would like to know too...my kids love yogurt, and it's so expensive!!! I would love fresh homemade yogurt! I know they sell yogurt machines to make it in...but have never looked into how they work or anything!

·
Banned
952 Posts
sorry. I didn't check to see if this topic was already posted. my bad.:toothy:

I was talking about trying to make my own yogurt and hubby was not too......interested, would be the word. Still one of those: if it doesn't come from the store........

wonder if you could use kefir for the starter? doesn't it have more live cultures in it than plain yogurt? hmmm...

I do want to try this, but theres just so many ways to do it, that I'm kind of confused on which method is the easiest or the most reliable. I've done seen where you can use the crockpot, a heating pad, a cooler, a thermos....geesh! LOL

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
sorry. I didn't check to see if this topic was already posted. my bad.:toothy:

I was talking about trying to make my own yogurt and hubby was not too......interested, would be the word. Still one of those: if it doesn't come from the store........

wonder if you could use kefir for the starter? doesn't it have more live cultures in it than plain yogurt? hmmm...

I do want to try this, but theres just so many ways to do it, that I'm kind of confused on which method is the easiest or the most reliable. I've done seen where you can use the crockpot, a heating pad, a cooler, a thermos....geesh! LOL
Here's another way to make your own yogurt...this is what I'm doing :

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I make my own yogurt and I'm not sure that I will ever go back to store bought yogurt. I haven't purchased a yogurt maker and I probably won't even bother. I put mine in the canning jar and then I keep it heated in a pot of water on a heating pad and wrapped in a blanket for about 6 hours. I did just pick up a little cooler at Goodwill (50% off sale) last week and I'll start using it next time I make yogurt. I have made yogurt with milk and powdered milk and I like both of them. It's definitely a way to save money because the price of milk is pretty reasonable for me.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This is the recipe I've been using for the past couple months. It makes the best yoghurt.

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use my dehydrator to provide heat when I'm making yogurt or culturing sourdough. It keeps it at a constant temperature (I put it on the third tray to get the correct temp) and my dehydrator uses about the same amount of energy as a lightbulb.

·
8,714 Posts
~My machine started producing runny yogurt so I decided to try the heating pad method from the Tightwad Gazette.
I used skim milk and the same batch of frozen starter yogurt cubes that produced the failed batches.
After 8 hours in a quart mason jar, on the heating pad, under a pot and then in the fridge overnight I got.........the thickest yogurt I've ever made! Yes yes yes!!!
I think that means the heating element in my yogurt maker is faulty but I won't be needing it anymore now anyway!
Fat free frozen yogurt here I come!~

·
Registered
652 Posts
I got a yogurt maker free and have made good plain yogurt but I was wondering if, you can add fruit and other flavorings while you make the yogurt or after you have it made, I love flavored yogurt but have not tried to make it yet just used the plain yogurt for cooking and such... any help would be appricated. thank you

·
8,714 Posts
I got a yogurt maker free and have made good plain yogurt but I was wondering if, you can add fruit and other flavorings while you make the yogurt or after you have it made, I love flavored yogurt but have not tried to make it yet just used the plain yogurt for cooking and such... any help would be appricated. thank you
~Here are lots of recipes for flavored yogurt: http://www.dvo.com/newsletter/monthly/2003/june/0603tabletalk3.html
I've been stirring peanut butter and honey, or fresh berries and frozen strawberries into my yogurt.~

·
Registered
514 Posts
You add everything after it's done- sweeteners, flavours, fruits, etc.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I would have to think about this. Not sure I can squeek out the time to do it.

I can usually get it on sale. But I agree.....less sugar would be nice.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I saw where some of You made homemade cottage cheese do you have a recipe for this my dh loves cottage cheese and I would love to try and make it any help would be great

·
Registered
689 Posts
What is the logic in heating what most of us have - pasteurized milk - to 185? To pasteurize it? How about being frugal and NOT heating it?

I don't have any problem making yogurt from milk straight from the fridge. 3-4 oz of live yogurt in a qt jar, fill half full with milk, stir, fill the jar, set lid on jar, put in (gas) oven (with pilot light) over night....done. Screw down the lid and put in fridge. Never had a bad batch.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I only have an electric oven. I had been making my yogurt in the crockpot, however it started coming out really runny, so I went back to buying it. I don't have a heating pad. I really need to stop buying yogurt, tho. It's expensive!

·
Registered
36 Posts
You know, I've thought about trying this, but where I live milk costs more than yogurt! Buying yogurt is more frugal... :(

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you have an electric warming tray, you can use it as a sub for a heating pad, or oven. Drape a towel over the jar(s) of yogurt-to-be to hold the heat and let set until done - generally 6-12 hours

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I've made my own too. But in answer to why you heat the milk from one poster, I think the answer is that the cultures are happiest at a higher temperature and therefore more active. I believe (although I do not KNOW this.) that that's the reason that you heat the milk first. Although, it might be that even pasteruized milk, if left at a lower temperature might pick up or grow some nasty bacteria you do NOT want.

Does anyone know definitely?

Judi

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been considering making my own yogurt and recently found a little bottle labeled "live yogurt cultures" at my local organics store. How would I go about using this? Would I make a starter with the cultures or could I just go right to making a full batch?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts