Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I vowed I would stop having yard sales at our house last year. We bought our house with items still in it from the previous owners. So over the years we have had about 12-14 yard sales. My husband and son are sick of having them here. So I plan on going to the flea market instead. Lol! Anyone else planning to clean more out?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes, I have never ever had one so I am really excited about it! We have a lot of doubles that each of us brought into the relationship and we also refinish/restore small furniture items. I would love to do the flea markets when we retire ;)

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
No,I love to go but I dont have patients w/ the "will you take a dime for it crowd".
I actually had a guy say well your just going to throw it out anyway. Um no, I will donate it.

I do love to go. I cant wait til May when they start here.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I can't think of many things that are a bigger waste of my time than hosting a yard sale. Everything I want to get rid of I donate.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Little early for them to start here just yet.............might go to some but doubt that I will have one........never know.

I like rummage sales much better than garage sales and will be watching for those. They are starting......went to one couple weeks ago. They don't advertise much so you have to keep your eyes open and ears peeled........but I am there if I know about it.

Have given some thought to attending some auctions this year. There is a place that has them a couple miles from my house.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I feel the same about time and a yard sale. I have been able to post items on our local fb flea market page for bigger things and people just come to pick them up if they are interested in buying them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I just sold two things!!! Stones for the hot stone massage and a towel warmer....asked a couple of therapists if they were interested and one bought them both...$90 in my pocket!

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I love to go to Yard sales, hate having them...

I think I will let Paige have the yard sale and keep the money.....
because she will send them packing....

Last year I sold a rug,that was a very nice rug, and this lady said I can find a nicer rug than this at walmart for less, well I told her to go to Wally..It was 20 dollars for a 200 rug.. come on...lol

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I use to love going to garage sales....but, I'm older now and I don't need anything! I am volunteering at a Teen Pregnancy Center so I will be on the look out for things for the center....baby clothes, toys, etc. So, guess that will be my weekends now....
I've had my share of sales in my younger years and when I worked non-profit and beleive me they are alot of work! And, the people who will steal from a garage sale...come on guys....I'll give it to you if you need it that bad!!
I'm a real people person so I love talking to everyone at the sales....

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Okay so here's my thing

I want to have a yard sale so I can make some money. But honestly, I'm too embarrassed. I dislike haggling and wouldn't tolerate anyone asking for less than the rock bottom price.
I'm also embarrassed if no one stops by. I am embarrassed to put my wares out on display. What if I don't have enough stuff to sell?

And then I think about all the work it takes to get ready for one. Time is money and I'm worth more than $1 hour I would earn by the time I'm done.

So there. I simply can't do it. I'm going to donate to a thrift shop which sends proceeds to an animal shelter.

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
I live very rural, so no one comes by my road. I have done flea markets in the past, but got too old and tired (I was selling a lot of books and those boxes are HEAVY!)

If you have yard sale stuff, bring it to a large flea market, get there early, the prof. dealers will SWARM over you and buy it if you have anything good. They love fresh meat, so to say.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am going to be having one. I haven't had one in a couple of years and swore I wouldn't have one again, but I am dejunking the house and garage and with the possibility of losing 20% pay for a few months I thought I would make a little money. I have only ever had one where I made decent money, but then I had a lot of stuff and I will now, so I am hoping to make some decent cash. Although I hate the work and they just totally exhaust me. I think I may ask a friend if they want to put a few things out and help with the selling and watching for the people that try to steal your junk. DH will help but it wouldn't hurt to have a third person around.

·
Registered
141 Posts
We are sorting everything in my Grandmothers house right now to get ready to sell whatever is not needed / wanted by the kids or grandkids.

The remaining large items such as furniture will be sold on Craigslist - guess who that job falls to :(

by time we are ready to do the yardsale, it should only be knicknacks, clothes and a few odd and ends.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Kinda decided I would never do one again either. But am now reconsidering cause I need the money darn it! Last sale was at my daughter's cause she has a garage. Set up the night before and then just open the doors on Saturday. All well and good. I price my stuff low so I will get rid of it and only made $20. So with my part of the ad, and two trips to her house which is about 15 minutes away one way, I only netted about 11 bucks! So not worth my time, but like I said it was a couple years ago and I guess I am ready to be aggravated again! lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
My town/neighborhood holds an annual yard sale, so I'll probably participate. All the advertising is taken care of already, and there's always TONS of people, so I usually come out pretty well. I price things to get rid of them, then at the end of the day (around 1 or 2pm) I put them at the end of the driveway with a "FREE" sign. I've never had to take anything back in, lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am in a couple of weeks, but I always donate what I make to the American Cancer Society. We're only allowed to have garage sales during the yearly neighborhood sale.

We're planning to move by the end of the summer (I hope!), into a much smaller country house with more land. We were out in the country when we moved here, but now it's all strip malls and congestion.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
We will have our yearly sale in the middle of May.

We were supposed to have it March 21st & 22nd - but the winter decided to stick around that weekend. It was 30 degrees those mornings ~ eeck!

We have about a dozen families that participate each year, and I play the host house. Shoppers have come to expect our sales, and will even stop me out on the town, and ask when this year's sale will be.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I haven't had one for years because I was so far out in the sticks. I am now 1 mile from town. Some family and I are debating having one at her home or mine. I don't have much but do have a few really big items. I could put them on Craigs list but hate the hassle.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I will have one in June. First one in this house. It will be all our old stuff, MILs stuff, old family friend who passed stuff, some stuff of my sisters. Maybe more. I'll only do it once and it will be huge. I've been saving everything worth selling for the last year and a half. I usually donate everything but mil wants to sell. So I've been keeping it. It's taking up a lot of space in my storage.

Last summer 3 neighbors had sales and they had great turn outs. And one neighbor kinda just threw things on a blanket on their uncut grass. They even had people. This city loves yard sales.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts