Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched it at :smooch:'s mother's place this weekend, along with the two Oprah shows about it that she'd taped. Anyone hear anything about it? Any opinions? I went and bought the book this weekend to see what I think.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey Naderbug,

I bought the book this week, too. I have watched the DVD & love it. Would you like to read together & give opinions & what-not? I would love reading it with someone & getting their opinions about it.

I love the concept of The Secret and am trying to incorporate it in my life. I know I've watched the DVD more than 10 times & sometimes go to sleep with it playing. Those mean & negative thoughts envade my mind way too much & I know that is what is holding me back.

Oh, I'm hoping the book goes into a little more detail but the DVD is worth getting, too.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I've been wanting to buy the book, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I have seen the movie and I have the book but haven't finished the book yet. The book seems to be pretty much the same as the movie. I thought it all very interesting. I am trying to change my way of thinking.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have seen the movie and I have the book but haven't finished the book yet. The book seems to be pretty much the same as the movie. I thought it all very interesting. I am trying to change my way of thinking.

I'm trying to do the same with my stinkin' thinkin'. It worked well for me this morning. I was running late for work. My grandson spent the night & I didn't leave the house as early as I had planned. Usually, I would be stressing out, driving fast & gettin' mad at people that get in my way (I know, that sounds so stupid when I type it out). This morning I had a different attitude. I praised my grandson, telling him he was a good boy (he wasn't grumpy & helped get himself ready, a little). On the way to his house, several cars got in my way but I didn't try to drive around them. I just went with the flow. We arrived at his house in really good time (I almost couldn't believe how fast I got there). I kinda sped to work after dropping him off & went around the cars I could but I think the kicker was that I wasn't stressed about getting around them. And I didn't speed the whole way to work, just most of the way. :dopey: Well, guess what? I got to work & had 5 minutes to spare. With my stinkin' thinkin', I would have been going crazy & would have arrived late. Figure that one out...

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I haven't seen it but can someone give me a narrative? Might make me want to go rent the book or DVD. :) TIA!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
My friend just mentioned that she's reading it. I totally believe in the power of the mind (I have a friend who's always sick and I think she perpetuates it by talking about how sick she is, and often she gets sick, etc.). It sounds a little too cheery for me, though I may still check it out.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I went to a viewing of it with some friends and also bought the DVD. I find it an interesting concept. I truly believe your thoughts become your reality and have always believed in positive thinking though never thought to take it to that level. I say -- what can it hurt to be a positive person? I recommend everyone watch and form their opinions but my life has def taken a change for the better in the last few years since I began focusing on the positve and even much so more these days.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have read the book and I want to watch the DVD. I have a very difficult time kicking negative thoughts out of my head. I have figured out for myself that if I try to not think about or focus on something negative I will. My new plan of action is to avoid not thinking about the negatives and only focus on things I am grateful for instead or would be grateful for if I had them in my life(obviously things that create negative thoughts won't be on that list). I back slide a lot though. Deborah said it perfectly "stinkin thinkin," that's what I have way more than I would like to.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes I have seen it. In fact asked the kids to watch it as well. We have had the most interesting, inteligent, on going conversations about it. I love it that they have been able to recognize or try positive thoughts in their lives.
Another one that is along the 'The Secret' lines is a movie 'What the Bleep'(Do We Know). Please correct me if I have that title wrong. Anyway it is one of those that like an onion the more you peel back (see it) the more you understand.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i'd like to get it (if its available here). i saw an oprah show on it yesterday - unusual for me to see the show but it was a holiday.

traci, there were three main things, you have to :

ASK (the universerve for whatever it is that you want, only once because you have to have faith)

BELIEVE (really believe it)

RECEIVE (you'll get it!)

they had a lot of good advice and ideas. they said all emotion was energy, energy can't be destroyed or created - its all out there already and there is enough for everyone. if you put out 'good' energy, it will attract the same. like energy attracts like, so equally if you put out 'bad' energy, you will receive it. they actually discussed it in a scientific way, stating that the spirit (which is our energy) is finally able to be proven as a tangible thing.

another thing i remember - you can't receive new things in to your life until you are grateful for what you have.

don't bother with diets or focus on losing weight. focus only on being healthy and well, ie that way you will behave your way to a better healthier body

don't simply think of reducing debt (its negative), think instead of what you want to have with your money and you will achieve it - eta, they suggested having a direct debit payment after you've worked it out, then don't think about it anymore.

these are ideas that are supposed to inspire you into action. made alot of sense.

it was a cool show.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was one of the problems I had with the DVD -- I didn't think they focused as much on the "Action" part of it. I watched the two Oprah! episodes about "The Secret" before I watched the DVD, and I just didn't see them discussing action as much as they did on the show. But that could just be me.

I'm reading the book now. It is almost identical to the DVD. I do love all the historic figures who are listed in it. When the DVD started, I thought to myself, "How long before they quote Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.?"

·
Registered
139 Posts
When the DVD started, I thought to myself, "How long before they quote Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.?"

They had to get to him, didn't they? So many of the people in that DVD are considered great. After watching the DVD, though, so many of the quotes I've heard all my life make even more sense now. Wow!

It's all about Law of Attraction. We attract what we feel. The best example for me in the DVD was: You wake up, not wanting to get out of bed, then the woman stubs her toe. After that, her day just spirals out of control. Bad morning into a bad day. But try starting your morning feeling good & not letting things get your down, just keep on stroking.

I think I remember mentioning being 5 min. early yesterday even tho I left the house late. Well, this morning I was running a bit behind again but I felt good. I got in the car & had 20 minutes to get to work. Great, since it only takes me 15 minutes to get to work. Well, I got to work this morning in 10 minutes! And I wasn't speeding that much. I got there with 10 minutes to spare. Now how is this happening except for my change in attitude towards my day? :clap:

·
Registered
224 Posts
This "theory" is as old as the hills....if this was a televangelist saying the old "Name it and Claim it/Health and Wealth" gospel...he'd be vilified(and I'd be right there criticizing him).
I do agree, that if you have a positive attitude, life just works better, and positive people are attracted to you(reverse is true for generally negative Eeyore-types). BUT....poop happens, and I think this whole issue is mentally dangerous. Does this mean, if something BAD happens to you, that you made it happen due to your negative thoughts, or that you weren't thinking positively enough? Do you all really believe that we have THAT much control over the universe?
Just playing devil's advocate here...I'm curious to hear why everyone is so excited over this(besides the fact that Oprah said it).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Jo my answer to your question is - I am excited because it is a fresh collection of ideas for positively. Even if it took the Oprah show to zing it even further into popularity.
I think bad things happen to us for many reasons. What you do about it makes the difference. If I can use your wonderful example chisgran: Who was being hurt by her anger while driving to work? Everyone within the radius with the ripple effect I am sure. Ok, SHE changed her attitude. Now not only is everyone benefiting - from that one person that she let in ahead of her to now, she truly feels happier (with lower blood pressure) when she gets there and the bonus is she is getting there in shorter precious time. Further she is grateful. All that reward from tweaking one small thought that she had controll over. I think that is exciting.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Jo: you've got an answer coming from me once I've had some sleep. I've been up most of the night so I'll have to give your devil's advocate post some thought.

Mumzy: You know, that's not the only example that I have of Law of Attraction. It happens to me all the time. Even when I'm not trying to do anything, stuff happens. So that tells you right there, whether you believe it or not, it's always working, no matter who you are.

More later, once I've had some rest.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
was thinking of putting my name down at the libary for it, but that could be 6 months before i get it, maybe Ill go rent the dvd. Sounds intersting, and I know what u mean Debora about negative thoughts. Im trying to stay positive too but sometimes its hard i find and i tend to take too much onwith others probs. or not enough letting go the easy stuff and it builds up . Oh yeah.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
was thinking of putting my name down at the libary for it, but that could be 6 months before i get it, maybe Ill go rent the dvd. .
I put myself on the waiting list at my library yesterday, and I"m number 261! :eek: But, they did just order six more copies, so hopefully my wait won't be too long.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts