Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lived a couple of miles from one for almost 5 years and never stopped in--is it worth it? What do you look for there?

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's been quite a while since I've shopped there, but it used to be very heavy on the frozen type dinners and packaged "junk" food. I bought snack food and frozen lunches for teenagers.

They had a little bit of everything, but not any big brand names. Foil, dish detergent, mustard, candy bars, frozen soup in huge package, seasonal type stuff also.

I haven't been in the store for over 5 years so it may have changed. If it's close by it might be worth a quick walk thru to see if there is anything you may use. HTH

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I have one in the town that I live in. I love shopping there (and not just because I have a crush on one of the guys that work there). I try to go once a week since it isn't out of the way and see what they have for good deals.

Bananas are 1.99 for 5 lbs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We have a grocery outlet chain around here (United Grocery Outlet). I used to stop in one all the time when I lived closer to it and used to find really good bargains. Over time though, I found the prices to not be much better than retail (and I wasn't going to go to the work of prowling for such a low "payback", kwim?).

I stopped at another of the same chain a few weeks ago, and again found the savings to be minimal. They had the multi-packs of Orville Redenbacher microwave popcorn that was literally only pennies cheaper than in the regular grocery. I've decided I'll save my time and stop trying, lol.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
We had two in Alabama. They were a lot like Aldis. Discount name brand foods and a lot of their own brands.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
We have DFO. Other than their homemade sausage and nice ripe pears, I really don't like it. The prices are sometimes higher than any where else.
So if I am in the neighborhood I stop but rarely do I make a special trip.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been quite a while since I've shopped there, but it used to be very heavy on the frozen type dinners and packaged "junk" food.
That's what it seems like from the ads...I should really go check it out, though. In fact I think I'll make that my assignment for the week. =D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I went and checked it out today...what a waste of time! The selection was pretty skimpy, prices were higher than Wal-Mart, and the quality was poor. :lame: They had a few racks of clothes, too, with prices like 16.99 for a KMart-quality polyester shirt. :scratch: I guess I haven't been missing much all these years...I imagine they are different in different areas, just like Goodwill and Salvation Army are.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is one in my area and I have found some good deals there.

The selection isn't great and you never really know what you'll find there so I only stop in a couple of times a month, when I'm in the area anyway.

A while back, they had the pre-cooked (Tyson?) whole-body chickens in a variety of flavors (frozen) for, if I remember right, 99 cents each. The chickens weren't real big but big enough for a meal for my youngest son and myself with enough left on the carcass for chicken noodle soup the next evening. Not bad for less than a buck!

The last time I was in there, though, they didn't have anymore of those.

Things like cup-o-noodles are cheap; they have (had?) a Thai dish thing that my kids really like (kinda' like a fancy cup-o-noodles) for 78 cents each (they're I think around $1.40 at other stores). My 18-year-old son went in and bought a case of those to take to work for his lunches.

Anyway, I think it's worth a stop, just not necessarily a special trip.

Janis

·
Registered
44 Posts
Outlets

I go to mine before I go to my other stores, I get name brand cereal bars for 1.50, cereal , bread 3 loaves for 1.00. english muffins for 1.00 lots of stuff just check exp. dates.....

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
We just recently moved back to Tennessee and we have one in the next town over.

We went in there about 2 weeks ago and I found some really good deals.

I'm actually going to make a special trip back over there in the next week or two just to stock up on laundry detergent.
They had the HUGE BJ's warehouse type of detergent for $6.99, that is about $4.00-$5.00 off. It's been a looong time since I've had to buy any, so I can't rem. exactly.
But these big jugs last us about 6-8 months.

I also splurged on a Cheesecake factory cheesecake-12 slices for $5.99, which makes it .50 a slice.
I also found bags of cheddar cheese sunflower seeds (my sons fav. snack) .25 a bag for the big bags. The cheapest I've been able to find them, when you *can* find them, was .59 at my Navy commissary.
Oh & also bought some College Inn beef broth french onion, 2 for $1.00. I sometimes use beef broth for crockpot recipes.

I will say, that I probably wouldn't buy any meat there. To me, it just didn't look good and I'll pay a bit more not to have to deal with food poisoning, kwim?

I think it's like anywhere else, you have to know a good bargain when you see it and then stock up.

The one we shopped at only had one floor freezer, so it might be different at every store as to what they stock?

So, I would defiantely check it out, especially if you have one close by.

Michelle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts