Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure most have a biglots in there area. We have 4 in the next town. The use to be pretty cheap, but really in the last year noticed they are really getting high end items. During the summer, the got the items from pier one imports.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Yep, I used to shop there all the time and now I don't much anymore. I think I just forget about them or have to be in a mood to go there.

I have gotten some great deals on wicker shelves and I love wicker. I did find some bargains on toys during Christmas time.

Now I am going to have to go check them out again and see what's new there.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I went to Big Lots tonight to get more fun fur for scarves. I ended up getting 10 skeins of yarn for $1 each. Some of the Christmas merchandise and misc. stuff did seem a little higher than usual...even some of the almost identical dollar tree type things were more like $1.50 or even $2.50 at Big Lots. In our town they are directly across the street from each other, so that seems pretty dumb. Tonight they had 90% off all Halloween stuff...a couple of cute things still on the shelves. But even for a quarter or 50 cents, I just don't need any more Fall or Halloween decorations. I don't even set out all that I have as it is.

·
Registered
414 Posts
We don't have a Big Lots close to where I live now but I did happen to go to one yesterday and picked up a few good bargins. You just have to watch the prices!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Mine are hit and miss on the clean/dirty side LOL. I like to shop them but the clean one is located further away. I just wish they would get their act together on consistency of how the each store presents itself and it's merchandise.:confused:

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I like to shop there in the spring/summer. They have some of the cutest lawn & garden decorations and they are mucho cheapo. I went into one a couple of weeks ago and the same applies to Thanksgiving & Christmas.

Cat

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I used to spend a lot of my shopping time in at Big Lots. It was one of my New Year's resolutions to try and avoid that store. I am getting better and only go there maybe once a month or less. I have noticed a price increase there since last Christmas when I was looking at popcorn tins and other gift items. Family Dollar and Dollar General are beginning to look like they will be the cheaper stores.

Now I shop more at the thrift stores but even they are pricing things higher lately.

·
Registered
660 Posts
We used to have a BIg Lots close to us but it moved out to the suburbs and it's just not worth the gas to go out there.But when we did have one in town it was pretty good in prices and stuff. But i don't know about now. Might be worth the trip out there during the holidays to see what's going on. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I love Big Lots. I can get gourmet-type foods there for cheap, and I recently got a bamboo cutting board there for only $10. It was really a good deal.

·
Registered
860 Posts
We have started stopping by whenever we're near. We recently found a few DVD's we liked for $3.00 each, plus tuna for 50 cents per can.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't have one near by but when I do get to go, I'm like a kid in a candy store! I lovelovelove Big Lots!

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I always liked to go in and see what they had....prices could be great, or not so much - you just have to watch

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I wasn't X-mas shopping, but I did run up there BF to get that Doll House bookcase that was in their ad for $44. So cute!! Plus I had a $10 GC so used towards that.

I think their prices have gone up too, but about a month ago I bought 17 cans of Ocean Spray Cranberry sauce at $.33 a piece. Otherwise I rarely go.

Theresa :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
We don't have one here where we live, but we have to travel to the doctor and once in a while we go there on our doctor trips. I did get some great deals on blankets there awhile ago. I got a few of them as Christmas gifts and really saved a bundle!
I wish we had one here in town!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree they are up and down on prices. The one I just moved by has a serious furniture department. The same furniture that I have seen in upscale furniture stores locally. They actually have someone specifically working the department and all. I found that intresting.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Like others I find some of the prices good, some not, or at least no better than other places I shop. I don't go often, though now I live only a block from one. Usually when I'm shopping I have a long enough list of errands that I don't have the time to browse, as you almost have to there, and with my arthritis, one more big store to walk around is one too many. But once in a while I check them out. The only thing I consistently buy there is - cashews. Hardly a must have all the time item.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I can never go there with something in mind. If I do, I can never find it. If I just stumble in, I can find TONS of stuff at great prices. It's the same for Marshalls and TJ Maxx.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I like Big Lots but like the dollars stores I have to make sure that what I am buying is from here or Canada and not manufactured in China. I am really leary of food goods and items like toothpaste and mouthwashes that are purchased at the dollar stores or Big Lots.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts