Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given one as a gift a few years ago, and other than pre-cooking deer ribs or other tougher meats, I don't use it much. Was wondering if anyone here uses one on a regular basis to cook meals. Would love to have some good (not fancy) recipes.

·
Registered
805 Posts
cook your beans in it. Never buy canned beans again. Just get the dry ones in bulk, cook them up and freeze them. they take no time at all and you always have a very frugal protien source in your freezer.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm plum skeered of pressure cookers
LOL, I think I am to to be honest. I remember them blowing up a few times in my mom's kitchen. I don't think we ever really got all of the tomatoes off the kitchen ceiling the last time it happened, LOL. I'm thinking though, if I had a tried and true recipe with detailed instructions, I may be able to muster up enough nerve to actually cook a meal in the thing.

Right now, I'm just using the pot itself to cook soups and stews. It's wonderful to use to take a soup or stew to a potluck since the lid locks on and there is no spillage.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I want to learn how to cook beans in the pressure cooker. I tried a few weeks a go, but the foam from the beans clogged the steam vent so I turned it off. Only after a few minutes of cooking, the beans were mostly cooked.
I like the idea of cooking up a bunch & putting them in the freezer.
The only thing we cook now in the pressure cooker is what DH actually cooks himself. My mom taught him how to use it to cook venison roast in & it comes out very nice. Very easy too. He fixes that for his family when they come over for dinner.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to learn how to cook beans in the pressure cooker. I tried a few weeks a go, but the foam from the beans clogged the steam vent so I turned it off. Only after a few minutes of cooking, the beans were mostly cooked.
I like the idea of cooking up a bunch & putting them in the freezer.
The only thing we cook now in the pressure cooker is what DH actually cooks himself. My mom taught him how to use it to cook venison roast in & it comes out very nice. Very easy too. He fixes that for his family when they come over for dinner.
Hubby swears he is gonna learn to use this one to cook a venison roast and I'm like :yikes: The deer ribs only take a few mere minutes to tenderize, but I would think a whole roast would take more time. The longer that thing is on the burner, the more nervous I get. LOL, I won't let dd anywhere near the kitchen and I stand there ready to :bolt:. Dh thinks I'm :loop:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I hear ya Carolyn! If you think a fat gal cannot run, tell me somebody's using a pressure cooker in my general vicinity, you'll see just how fast this lard can shift gears.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
We were given one awhile back, but I am too scared to use it.

I do not have a book of instructions. It is a "Presto"

Another "Chicken" in the group! LoL

·
8,714 Posts
~I have one and cookbooks too but I don't use it. I did read somewhere that adding a little oil to the beans would prevent the foam. Never tried it though. I used to use it to cook roast beef and bbq pork. Now I use my crockpot.~

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have one and I LOVE IT!!! I've never had a blowup. Been using one for 10+ years. I used it today to make Homemade Chili. Than canned 10 Quarts in the pressure cooker. :hungry:

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've heard all the explosion stories so I'm a bit scared to try as well.

·
Registered
639 Posts
well, i just finished a venison roast in the pressure cooker. The first time on my own.
Usually it's DH's job, but I decided to do something nice for him since he has been out all day hunting. with guidance from my mom i cooked it without blowing anything up. Haven't taken the lid off yet, it's still cooling. It's quite easy if you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
805 Posts
My friend blew one up once, but I think they blow up because people aren't using common sense with them. When they are hot, there is a lot of pressure in them....hence...'pressure' cooker. So, wait until they are cool before opening them. They won't open on their own. My dad used to put it in the sink and run water on it to cool it down faster, but I just leave it on the stove to cool normally and have never had one do anything but over cook food.. Yes, oil reduces the starch foam from beans.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have one and I LOVE IT!!! I've never had a blowup. Been using one for 10+ years. I used it today to make Homemade Chili. Than canned 10 Quarts in the pressure cooker. :hungry:
Hi Cookie,

Well then, maybe you could share a few of your recipes. I would rather me be the one to try it out than dh, since he cooks everything on high, walks out of the kitchen and sometimes out of the house when he cooks! He drives me crazy. One time, he had put a pot of tea on while I ran into town and walked outside to gas up the lawn mower. When I got back and walked into the kitchen, I heard something frying. It was the tea bags! They would have burst into flames if I hadn't come in when I did. I asked him when he put the tea on and he couldn't remember. I had to throw the pot away! LOL, I don't want a pressure cooker lid and a deer roast embedded into my kitchen ceiling! He is a wonderful outdoor cook with a grill, smoker, propane cooker and pot or fryer, but his indoor cooking skills need vast improvement.

He asked me the other day where the pressure cooker was and I changed the subject, LOL. I think he's wanting to cook a venison roast for Christmas dinner. :drama:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I hear there are automatic pressure cookers. Does anyone know anything about them? I might try one of them. They might be electric.

Monner 1

·
Registered
639 Posts
the venison roast in the pressure cooker came out perfectly cooked,very tender.

Here's how I did it :

with a little oil in the bottom of the pan, browned roast on both sides,
added 1 cup of water & 2 chopped onions

Put the lid on, turned the burner to med/high & waited for the jiggler to jiggle at a good rate,

slowly turn flame down til jiggler jiggles gently, turn timer on for 30 min.

when time is up, turn off & let cool til the pressure gauge goes down,
then get husband to open the pan..

there will be juices in the pan, use for gravy..usually DH adds 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, just mixes it in, makes a fine gravy. I added 1 pkg of brown gravy mix with a little more water to make a very nice, quick, easy gravy.

There is a rubber seal that has to be in place in our pressure cooker, it has two pressure valves, you don't open the pan if the one valve is up, the other is a safety valve, a rubber stopper that will blow out if needed. Ours is not a newer model, but is heavy stainless steel & very good. Check instructions in your models books before attempting if you are new to pressure cooking.

I am going to retry cooking beans this week, maybe a little less water & a little oil. I did read not to fill the pan more than half full & to cover the beans w/ 1/2" of water.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Using a pressure cooker is very easy as long as you keep safty in mind.

Everytime I use my pressure cooker:

check to make sure seals are good and in place. Check all gauges. Put rack in cooker.

Then I decide on what type of meat.

Chicken cooks (falling off bone) @ 20 mintues @ 10 lbs pressure
Hamburger @ 15 mminutes @10 lbs presure
Steak and pork @ 25 [email protected] 10 lbs. pressure
Roasts @ 30-45 mintues @ 10 lbs. pressure

:attent: Please remember these times are for South Louisiana. Times may vary in other parts of the USA

Add 1-2 cups water and seasonings (onions, peppers, etc.)

This to me is the easiest way to prepare my meats for casseroles, soups, etc.
Also great when you want to cook up a big amount at one time.

I also love it Can with it.

When Hurricane Rita :down: hit last year, my family was very happy.:dancing: I had canned alot of the foods we like. While others we eating MRE, we were eating HM Chili, Chicken and dumplings, Gumbo, Sausage Balls, Veggies, Quick breads, etc. I feed 25 people for 8 days {NO Electricity} on the food I canned.

·
Registered
639 Posts
When Hurricane Rita :down: hit last year, my family was very happy.:dancing: I had canned alot of the foods we like. While others we eating MRE, we were eating HM Chili, Chicken and dumplings, Gumbo, Sausage Balls, Veggies, Quick breads, etc. I feed 25 people for 8 days {NO Electricity} on the food I canned.[/QUOTE]

Wow!! You deserve an award for that!! I hope that those people realize how lucky they were! I think that you have a lot to teach us!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I soooo want a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker, but it's something I'll have to save for. For all the info you could ever need about pressure cooking, including recipes, check out this website:

http://missvickie.com/

The ones that are prone to explosion are usually older models, made of aluminum and with the old style jiggle valves. Newer models that are triple wall stainless steel, with safety valves are very safe to use. Also, pressure canners are very specialized just for canning and aren't recommended for general cooking. They are usually made of aluminum, and have pressure gauges to make sure the canned goods get to the proper pressure for sterilization.

To prevent the bean foam problem you can also use another pot with a loose fitting lid, inside the pressure cooker.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts