Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my check up today. Doc wants me to carry and epi pen for allergies. She said she doesn't want me to accidentally get a food I shouldn't and suffocate in front of my children.

I'm nervous about having one and nervous about not having one.

Also are they expensive? Normally covered by insurance?

Tell me experience and stuff I should know

please

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
it would depend on your insurance
we had to pay 130 for 2 of them for our dd but we had a 200$ deductable on our meds before the insurance kicked in .

they are simple to use they come with directions right on the tube
funny thought i thought they would be smaller but i guess the auto injection mechanism makes them bigger - basically you pop off the cap push against your thigh and it automatically injects in the way the finger stick machine does for a diabetic so you dont have to worry about being afraid to stick yourself you just have to hold it there for so many seconds to make sure the med goes in .

really any cost is better than potential death - could you imagine someone having to explain to your kids that to save 100$ you died ?

that said my dd eally doesnt carry hers i feel she is too young and might be irresponsible with it if with friends etc - she is always pretty nearby and can feel the reaction starting with her lip swelling - she keeps a liquid benadryl thingy in her wristlet at all times - if she is away IE cheer competition sleepover- vacation with friends field trip i make her take one with her and make sure the parent / coach knows what its for and how to use it

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
We pay about what momto5rn pays...for dh/bee stings. He carries one in which ever vehicle he's in/on. Motorcycle/truck/boat/4 wheeler. Never had to use one...hope he never does. But wouldn't be without it.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it would depend on your insurance
we had to pay 130 for 2 of them for our dd but we had a 200$ deductable on our meds before the insurance kicked in .

they are simple to use they come with directions right on the tube
funny thought i thought they would be smaller but i guess the auto injection mechanism makes them bigger - basically you pop off the cap push against your thigh and it automatically injects in the way the finger stick machine does for a diabetic so you dont have to worry about being afraid to stick yourself you just have to hold it there for so many seconds to make sure the med goes in .

really any cost is better than potential death - could you imagine someone having to explain to your kids that to save 100$ you died ?

that said my dd eally doesnt carry hers i feel she is too young and might be irresponsible with it if with friends etc - she is always pretty nearby and can feel the reaction starting with her lip swelling - she keeps a liquid benadryl thingy in her wristlet at all times - if she is away IE cheer competition sleepover- vacation with friends field trip i make her take one with her and make sure the parent / coach knows what its for and how to use it
I've done the carry liquid benadryl thing and have had to use it before. What is a wristlet?

Hubby took me to lunch and we talked about it. He wonders what the sudden change in needing to carry one was. We have been managing it without one for over 20 years. I told him the doc has been trying to get me to carry one since we moved here. But has been letting me slide by with benadryl.
He also doesn't remember the reaction to the banana "ice cream" I guess it scared me more than it did him.

How do you remember to have it with you all the time? I've carried the Benadryl in my purse only needed to use it around food so a purse is normally there then.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm a double epi carrier. I also carry benadryl. The reason the dr wants you to carry an epi now is that allergies can escalate. I ate shellfish for years with only minor symptoms until one day BOOM - full blown anaphylaxis. They sideswipe you from out of no where. Thank goodness I was at someone's house and they had just come back from the dr with sample of benadryl (this was before it was OTC). They gave me so much I was in bed for 3 days but it stopped it. An epi would have been much better!!

·
19,119 Posts
I carry an epi pen in my purse all the time and make sure that the people I'm around know how to use it - it works through clothing which is wonderful. Won't be without one although I haven't needed to use it - the one time I thought I would, we were able to get to the doctor's office and get treatment. Having benedryl on hand helps too.

My insurance covered the whole cost.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I've done the carry liquid benadryl thing and have had to use it before. What is a wristlet?
>>>

a little zipper wallet/purse with a band to carry it from your wrist .
all the thing with teens ( esp if its a name brand ) in otherwards she puts her # her cell and a benadryl liquid in it and its full

·
Registered
171 Posts
I also carry double epi pens. I have several food allergies and never know when I will come upon something that may have something in it that has some of the foods I am allergic to in them. I am allergic to a lot of common place things. I carry two not only for me but for my son. He has nut allergies and just in case we must be prepared. My insurance covers both pens at 15$ each (the copay for non generic drugs on my plan). Like the op I am very careful but I never know when out what others may have included in their recipes. Most people know what I am allergic to but at restaurants who knows what is in some things. It is a small price to pay to save a life. I haven't ever needed to use mine and it irritates me when they expire but I would rather be safe than sorry.
I also carry benadryl with me too along with my regular allergy meds I am on. Plus they now think I may have allergy induced asthma so now I will carry an inhaler too. Bummer!!!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Buy it
Carry it
Worth it

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I had to administer an Epi pen quite often when I was teaching. Two of my students needed them. This was grade 3. They are a life saver. I feel any amount if money is worth having one. My one student would have died before the paramedics got to the school if I didn't give it to her. She was still in the hospital for fiur days after the incident. Get one, carry it and make sure everyone you know, knows how to give it to you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As time progresses, allergies become worse. For example, I was stung by wasps & bees many times as a child & never had a 'bad' reaction. Later 1 sting to my leg caused my leg to double in size & weep for days. That is a severe local reaction. And that is the warning sign to progressive reactions. The next sting could cause an anaphylactic reaction.

Do not leave them in the car where they can get hot. It's a pain in the neck to have to keep up with one..esp w/ kids (my son injected himself w/ mine when he was a toddler...climbed up on the fridge & got it.) They need to be replaced every year. I don't mind paying the $100 b/c it very well could be the only thing that saves my life one day.

If you ever find that you have to use it, IMMEDIATELY seek medical attention! It is not a complete treatment. Most people are not aware of this fact. Sad but true, it's a small dose that only buys you minutes in true anaphylactic reactions.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm a double epi carrier. I also carry benadryl. The reason the dr wants you to carry an epi now is that allergies can escalate. I ate shellfish for years with only minor symptoms until one day BOOM - full blown anaphylaxis. They sideswipe you from out of no where. Thank goodness I was at someone's house and they had just come back from the dr with sample of benadryl (this was before it was OTC). They gave me so much I was in bed for 3 days but it stopped it. An epi would have been much better!!
Grateful I'm only allergic to bees/wasps. I don't think I would survive without seafood! I rarely get to eat it....but when I do look out! DH says I eat very little until it's lobster, crab, shrimp etc in front of me. I was once charged double at a seafood buffet....and paid it b/c it was soooo worth it :bolt:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I do the epi pen and 2 kinds of benedryl in my purse. I carry it all the time, I am more relaxed with it than without! :)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do the epi pen and 2 kinds of benedryl in my purse. I carry it all the time, I am more relaxed with it than without! :)
Why two kinds of benedryl?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I picked up my epi pen at the pharmacy yesterday. Pharmacist had me practice giving myself the shot with the trainer pen.

I do have to admit the pot luck right after was a bit less scary. I did skip lots of the foods like always but I wasn't as scared to accidentally run into the unknown spice.

Cost $30 after insurance ( which is our co pay for no generics) good until next year.

Now I just need to learn to carry by purse and not leave it in the car.
( would it be okay to leave in the an unheated or unairconditioned car of a few minuites while I run in to pick up a child at school or example)

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I carry mine in my purse all the time (food allergies). My insurance covered the entire cost. I think it came with two Epi-pens per prescription.

The nurse at the allergist showed me how to use it & had me practice w/ a trainer. She did tell me (when I asked) that I did NOT want to know how big the needle was :bolt:

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I carry mine in my purse all the time (food allergies). My insurance covered the entire cost. I think it came with two Epi-pens per prescription.

The nurse at the allergist showed me how to use it & had me practice w/ a trainer. She did tell me (when I asked) that I did NOT want to know how big the needle was :bolt:
The pharmacy tech guy was watching me practice as the pharmacist was training me.

He said he didn't think he would be able to to it to him, not enough nerve.
I said I bet you could do it if you thought you were dying. He said good point.

Do you sometimes leave your purse in the car?

I'm trying to figure out how to carry the epi pen without making it spoil and to make sure it is handy when needed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I carry two epi pens at all times Iin my purse, when I went to the allergist and got them they also taught DD how to use them on me just in case there was ever I time I couldn't give it to myself. I let everyone I am with know that I have them. Mine is fish and shellfish. You would be suprised at the number of items that have anchovies in them. I also carry benadryl. I think it is worth it for the fact that when I had my first severe reaction I was home alone with my daughter and all I could think while I was trying to call 911 was that I was going to die infront of her. by the time they got there I was hardly breathing. She also feels better knowing that I have them and so do I.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I don't leave my purse in the car, so that's not an issue for me.

Maybe you could get one of those insulated make-up bags to keep your epi pen in? Dd has a one and it's made so the make up doesn't melt. It really works!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't leave my purse in the car, so that's not an issue for me.

Maybe you could get one of those insulated make-up bags to keep your epi pen in? Dd has a one and it's made so the make up doesn't melt. It really works!
what are insulated make up bags and were would one find them?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.