Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some gluten free pet food for my cat. She seems to like it and her weird noise she makes seems to have lessened. The reason I purchased it was someone told me they bought gluten free cat food for their cat and she ended up loosing the extra pounds.

My cat seems to have some type of allergy to the regular cat food. She is also overweight which you can see in the picture. I do not overfeed her, she just puts on the pounds.

Just wondering is anyone else uses gluten free pet food and if they noticed a difference in their pets health.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've done lots of research on this subject, and I believe that most commercial cat foods (with large amounts of filler grain, any kind of grain) are not good for cats, even the "premium" brands.

I had overweight cats (common problem for indoor cats) and fed them the vet-recommended (and expensive) obesity maintenance food for *years* and still had overweight cats. It wasn't until I started doing my own research and then switched to a more meat-based, holistic food that I found my solution. That better quality (IMO) food actually caused other problems for my cat, so out of desperation I made an appointment with a vet nutritionist who gave me recipes and I started making my own cat food. 6 or 7 years later, I have 2 very healthy, ideal-weight cats (12 and 16 years old).

Sorry, that was a long way to say that I make my cats' food and it's gluten and grain free (mostly tuna and ground chicken, plus essential vitamins and supplements), and I would never go back to purchasing cat food.

Kara

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.