Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. (Reuters)
- The weather-prognosticating groundhog known as Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow during the annual Groundhog Day (news - web sites) ceremony on Sunday, signaling six more weeks of winter in North America.

The chubby rodent, said to dine on a rich diet that includes strawberry sundaes, was hauled from his cozy burrow beneath a maple stump on Gobbler's Knob into the glare of television camera lights and cheers from hundreds of onlookers, as part of a 117-year-old ritual.

The ceremony, which dates back to 1887, stems from an ancient European superstition that winter will last another six weeks if a burrowing animal like a groundhog or a hedgehog sees its shadow on Candlemas Day, which falls on Feb. 2. No shadow means an early spring.

The Punxsutawney rodent has seen its shadow 41 times over the past 50 years. It last missed its shadow in 1999.

Sunday's prediction followed weeks of unusually cold weather in the U.S. Northeast and Midwest during January.

For the town of Punxsutawney, a rural community of 6,800 people located 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, Groundhog Day is an annual tourist festival of parades, music, sleigh rides and ice carvings that can attract thousands of out-of-town visitors.

Groundhog Day has gained world notoriety in recent years, thanks mainly to the 1993 Hollywood film "Groundhog Day," starring Bill Murray. Organizers have since taken to selling groundhog souvenirs on the World Wide Web.

The 15-pound rodent, which is also known as a woodchuck, has made public appearances with President Ronald Reagan (news - web sites) and TV talk show celebrity Oprah Winfrey.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...e=1&u=/nm/20030202/od_nm/weather_groundhog_dc
Arghh. LMAO

·
27,948 Posts
ME!! ME!!!:wave:

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Count me in, too!

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Lets go. I will pick everyone up on the way.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Oh how I would like to kick him, and then back up and do it again. I need spring badly. My SO and DD are both being grouches today. These people need to be outside but it is cold and yucky. The snow is melting but its a muddy mess. At church today, someone announced that they heard we are in for more next weekend. :mad:

paelthom

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I'll kick him too! We still have snow on the ground measured in FEET, with more on the way Tuesday! :mad:

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Well, there weren't any shadows to be seen around here today, and since the weather gets to IA before PA I think the little rodent got confused. He probably saw all those photographers and got scared off. The shadow was caused by all the flash bulbs.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Sorry I can't blame poor Punxsutawney Phil for peoples foolishness !!!!!!!! BTW......... How did he get an appearance on Oprah, and Dave Letterman can't ??????????? LOL

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
personally I wanted to flick him on his nose and ask him what the heck he is thinking. I really need warm weather. Cold weather and snow are not two of my favorite things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts