Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The show features Gail Vaz Oxlade helping people fix their $ issues (overspending). I like it in general, though the 'jars' (similar to envelope system) aren't for me. I like that one difference between Gail and Dave Ramsey is that Gail advocates contributing to retirement and savings while paying down your debt. I understand the concept behind Dave's 'put it all on hold' idea, I just can't get behind it myself and even while aggressively paying down our debts I am still contributing here and there to both retirement and my EF. One thing that bothers me about Gail, though- in my opinion, she allocates WAY too much per week for 'entertainment'. I don't understand why people with $50k of consumer debt are allotted $100+ a month for 'entertainment'. I understand everyone needs to eat out or go to the movies or whatever once in a while, I just find her amounts excessive. I guess we all pick and choose what works for us from each 'teaching' we come across! What do you think of Gail's teachings?

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Generally we like her.

Occasionally she makes me throw things at the TV. (Such as when she encourage people to move their consumer debt to a heloc or to lease a car, which *has* happened on rare occasion.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I like the show. I'm not going to agree with everything she says but it's not enough for me to get in a mood over. I really watch for the horror stories, not the advice.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I like the show and watch all the time.One has to remember she is dealing with people that have spiralled out of control.If she cut out everything instead of weaning them off I am sure alot of them would bolt,some actually did.
People have a hard time coming down off that High Horse.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
While I agree that she could cut down some of that spending it is important to remember that the folks on this show aren't of the mindset we are and probably couldn't handle any deeper cuts.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My favorite part of the show is the beginning when she walks around and calls people out on all their "stuff," expensive electronics, games, new furniture, etc.

I don't agree with her cutting up the debit card though, and the last two episodes I watched, she did just that, along with the CCs. I love how she empowers BOTH partners to share equally in the budget planning and approved expenditures. I enjoy the show a lot and hope it continues.

Reactions: HappyMama

·
4,028 Posts
Is this, what, your 6th tv? LOL

I like her. I think the challenges that she puts people in really give them a chance to think about their relationships with each other, with stuff and with money.

I think the show is much better than her book. I'm still reading it but it took a while to get past the first few chapters because she tends to put people down initially... you don't budget because you're lazy, or math is too hard, or what ever reason.
It put me off the book for awhile.

All in all I give her 2 thumbs up. :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
She does different amounts for different people. It depends on the situation. I've seen her only allocate $10 a week for entertainment. Things are way more expensive here than in the States as well.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Her advice can be a little off, but I like the show. Of course, I am obsessed with personal finance and getting out of debt so that is no surprise! I wish Dave was on TV!

·
4,028 Posts
She does have some different views on "good vs bad" debt and I have heard her advocate loans for cars, but all in all... she's a "live within your means" and plan ahead type of person.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is this, what, your 6th tv? LOL

I like her. I think the challenges that she puts people in really give them a chance to think about their relationships with each other, with stuff and with money.

I think the show is much better than her book. I'm still reading it but it took a while to get past the first few chapters because she tends to put people down initially... you don't budget because you're lazy, or math is too hard, or what ever reason.
It put me off the book for awhile.

All in all I give her 2 thumbs up. :)
I found the same.....read her book recently, didn't find it off-putting but probably just didn't get much out of it as I've been 'studying' these things for a while now. If it offended you, I would skip Larry Winget's 'You're Broke because you Want to Be!'. He is HARSH!

Reactions: Ceashels

·
Registered
565 Posts
What channel is this show on? What night? Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I looooove her show. I agree with mw in that it's taped here in Canada, so entertainment is definitely more expensive here than it is in the US. While you can go for "nickle a beer night" in somewheres like Pensacola, a beer here will cost you $3.50 during Happy Hour.

I'm not a big fan of cutting up the cards, but it does teach people to live with what they have. For some people, having cash on them to pay bills is easier. She teaches to quit being so reliant on plastic... regardless of what it is. She also teaches that being so lavish on things is only going to get you further into debt. I remember one couple she did, it was something like $500k in debt in five years. That's just crazy!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I love it. I always try to get my hubby to watch it with me but he walks out :lol: Sometimes I think her advice is a little off but for the most part I thnk she gives the couples a clear path to freedom from debt and a good way to start saving for retirement too.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I really like this show. It really kills me the way some people do refuse to change and argue with her. Of course, they get $0.

I just had to cut my cable back to local channels only and probably won't get this show anymore but I guess that is just one of the sacrifices I will have to make. It was that or my internet. LOL no contest.....

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.