Frugal Village Forums banner

Anyone with a thyroid disorder

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mommy2three 
#1 ·
I have an underactive thyroid - hypothyroid. I am always running out of steam before I get much done. I wake up as tired as when I went to bed, even after a full nights sleep. My doctor that I had been seeing since forever left town and now I have a new dr. She switched my medicine from Armour to Synthroid and I feel like crap. I have been on it for 3 months and I have my appt for recheck coming up. I want her to try another medicine. My hair is falling out and the fatigue and body aches, etc. are much worse again. Needless to say, I am not loosing any weight - not that I am trying too hard either.

I am just wondering if anyone else in the Village has a yucky thyroid and what might or might not be working for them.

#2 ·
hi pat,
i asked my mom about this since i knew she was taking thyroid medication. i have copied and pasted what she said:

"when she goes back they should test her blood and if she is still at a low level, they will up her dose, till it is right.They do it graduallly, because if they do it too quickly, it can cause a heart attack.They will know when she is on the right dose.They might also try thyroid (pure thyroid). If her level is right, she might have another prioblem(sleep dis-order, etc)"

hope this helps! good luck!:)

#3 ·
Yes I have underactive too now. I get so tired I can barely keep my eyes open some time, The doctor said it will take at LEAST 6 months of taking it constantly at the right level to get over this. IT has been over 2 years and still I get so tired I have trouble moving. Hang in there. when they get your levels right you will feel better. I am on Synthroid too.

#4 ·
I took the Armour for several years and they never could get me stabilized so I was hoping it would be easier with the Synthyroid, but it doesn't look like it. I am going to definately ask for another blood test and see what's up on that end.

I still believe that a year long vacation somewhere warm and tropical with everything free would fix this. What do you think?????

#5 ·
Paelthom- I also have a underactive thyroid. I have been on synthroid for about 2 years. I'm going to start to look for a new doctor because I still dont feel 100%. All the thyroid stuff confuses me to no end!! I defenitly think a year on a tropical island will work for everyone!:laugh: Good luck!
Mandy

#6 ·
Yeh, I have tried reading the thyroid books and looking on the net. One says one thing, the other says the opposite. Eat this, don't eat that, etc. I have decided to force, and I do mean force, myself to exercise some in the mornings to see if that helps a bit. So far I have walked two mornings in a row, for a mile each time. It's not much, but it's a start. I'll be glad for the dr. appt. and to see what she has to say this time:(

#7 ·
Pat I am finding that physical exercise helps SOOOOO much. It really doesn't keep the tired feeling completely at bay though. hang in there hope they get your levels right soon.

#8 ·
I have Wilson's Syndrome, which is a specific kind of hypothyroidism. I don't take any thyroid replacement at all, since they all left me with the shakes, and my first go-round left me with a heart murmur. I do, however, take Kelp tablets every morning. Kelp is high iodine, which is the building block of your thyroid. It also has some other herbal compounds in it that kick-start your body into processing the thyroid your body does produce.

#10 ·
Just a quick update -
Dr. is switching me back to Armour for the hypothyroid. Also she put me on Aciphex for my tummy and now I only have to take the potassium every other day. However, I do need to eat or drink more potassium rich foods - bring on the oj I guess.

However, due to the mess my life is currently in, I am not expecting much from the medicine change. I am still trying to walk 1 mile at they YMCA at least 4 times per week and I am doing heavy duty yard work. Hopefully when I settle down emotionally, the medicine will kick in and start working. I am also checking out some new vitamins, etc.

#11 ·
i'm so glad things are starting to work for you!! keep up the great work exercising! i'm sure it will help....it certainly won't hurt!;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.