Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here has sleep apnea? I just did the first part of the testing and now go back to learn to do the mask. My husband has had this for a long time now, and it has really helped him sleep better being on the Bi-pap machine. I can't help but wonder how many people are sleeping with the c-pap and bi-pap machines.......and how many people are not sleeping that have no idea that they even have this problem. My O2 drops so low at night, and I totally stop breathing. I had no idea that it was even going on until I told my doctor I was having terrible daytime sleepiness. I also had no clue that having this could cause diabetes, high blood pressure, weight gain, stroke, and all kinds of heart problems.
It can kill you and I had no clue.....

How long did it take you to get use to the c-pap?

Do you know any tricks to make it easier to get use to?

Any tips on what kind of things help?

Thanks for any info you might have.......

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
my mom. i didnt even know there were two different types of machines.
the doctors explain everything with the results so dont worry:hugz:

Reactions: Patty A

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I had a cpap but never got use to it. I eventually had surgery. Just rent one till you decide if you want surgery or not. I bought one big mistake.

·
2,688 Posts
I have a serious case of sleep apnea. Been sleeping with a bipap machine just over 3 years now. It seems like it was maybe a week that it took me to get used to the machine. I gave myself no ands, if's or buts.......I am going to sleep with that machine EVERY single night. I like waking up feeling good.

This is my story.....
I was sleeping the right number of hours at night, then waking up with a monster headache, then taking several naps during the day. Each morning my headache got worse, and would last most of the day. Naps got longer and longer. No energy. Constantly tired.
I finally went to a ENT doctor. Who found nothing wrong with me.
Ran some allergy tests, came back negative. After 2 appts with him, and still nothing he could tell me. I came home and got on the computer and started doing some searches. Armed with a list of questions, again, I went back to the doctor and this time, I told him what I thought I had and what I wanted him to do. I told him all my problems and told him I wanted a sleep test done. The man agreed with me.
Told I had to wait 3 months for the first test. Got put on a call if someone cancels list and had the test done in like a month. Told I needed a second test to fit me to a machine. Told another 3 month wait. Got put on another please call if a someone cancels list and got seen within a month. Meanwhile I was afraid to go to sleep. Meanwhile the doctor took his sweet time about picking up my test results from the hospital, and then reading them, and then faxing the info over to the place where I could pick up my machine. Lost almost another 2 weeks of time waiting on him.
After I got my machine, I was feeling better. Not 100 % but at least I was sleeping better, dreaming, and not eyeballing the couch for a nap every time I walked past it. That was just over 3 yrs ago.
Last fall, I asked for another sleep test as I was really tired during the day, and just not feeling well. Got that test, again had to wait 3 months, then 3 weeks for them to read it, and then another week, for them to fax my new numbers over to the place where I got my sleep machine. After a few months now of having new number settings, I am finally feeling better.
I find out that my first orginal numbers were not right for me. They kept me alive yes, but it was like I was running on 6 or 7 cylinders instead of 8 cylinders, comparing me to a car.
I did see the ENT doctor for a follow up in February. I am really upset, with the whole health care system, because, now I know, that my sleep machine could have given them a lot of info, and they never took a reading off of it, in the 3 yrs that I had it. Like they let me fall through the cracks in their system. Some insurance companies do require a reading off the machine once a year.
The doctor now will have them do a reading off the sleep machine every 6 months. Cost of my last reading was nothing and took only about 5 minutes. ....cost of the last sleep test I had, was $ 1700.00.
Cost of my machine, 3 yrs ago, was $ 3000.

One of the questions you may want to ask is.....if the machine you are getting, is capable of giving them readings off of it. My machine also has a humidifier. And about 5 months ago, I did ask for a chin strap and got one.

If you want to read more about sleep apnea, a good website, that was given to me by the sleep tech person is.....
www.talkaboutsleep.com

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have SA and have been using a Bi-Pap machine for about three years. Everything related to my SA, including the machine and supplies, is covered by my insurance.

My SA is tied to my weight gain so I'm hoping that after I lose enough weight (and get my allergies under control), I won't have to use it anymore. That said, it has been a godsend regarding getting enough sleep every night, for me and DH.

I did not have trouble getting used to the machine, probably because I was so darn tired anyway. I use the nose pillow mask, which I find less obtrusive than the masks that fit over your nose. I also find the humidifier to be incredibly helpful, especially because of my allergies. I haven't had a sinus infection since I got my machine.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have SA I also have a C-pap machine........ I hate it. It makes to much noise. I can't stand anything on my face. I see the Dr every 3 mos. I'm lucky if I can keep it on 4 hrs a night......... For those of you that can use the machine all the time. You are lucky
Fern

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for the information. I feel well armed now and know what to look for in getting this all behind me. The doctor did say I am dropping below 70 on O2 readings at night, and having a number of stop breathing episodes during the night. Nothing like knowing you have stopped breathing to make you WANT to get a machine! Its spooky when you know you have times during the night that your airway completely closes off......I am looking forward to getting the machine, I will sleep much better knowing I will NOT die during my sleep because my airway had closed!

I go tonight for them to set me up on the machine. My husband has had one for years now, and like some of you have said he is starting to have the headaches again. I read your saying that you had to have your numbers changed and will tell him to get to the doctor or call the company over his machine so he can get some tests run on his machine and see if his numbers need updating! Thank you for that info, and his machine can be read, so I know they are there it just needs to be done.

I plan on giving it my best to get use to this thing. I know its for my own good as the problems from SA can cause all kinds of big things to happen if you don't listen and get use to sleeping with it. I don't need more, and it can really make a difference in not only sleep but also help with weight loss, high blood pressure, diabetes, and stop your from having heart problems. Its damn important to learn to sleep with it, and I have made up my mind I will LEARN to do it!

Thanks for all the ideas and help, I can't thank you enough, but it means alot to know you have been there and understand!

·
2,688 Posts
Glad things are moving along for you.
Make a written list of questions if need be, so you can get all the answers you need.

Don't let them let you make do with anything. If the face mask or whatever they want you to use, is not right for you, make noise till they fix it.

I am feeling a lot better now with my new number settings on my machine. A case of me making noise till I got it done. Sometimes one has to be the thorn in the side to get answers.

·
Registered
316 Posts
hi! i have a cpap machine. it took me about a week or two to get used to it. now it is like no big thing. it has been great for me. i was sooooo tired all the time. i even take an afternoon nap with the cpap. i feel like a new person. my company that i got the machine from and my insurance gives me 6 months then i can get a new filter, new mask and new hose. so every 6 mos. i call......i just got my new one in this week. mark it on your calender as they will never call you. i hope that helps!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Wow, I didn't know so many of us had it! I also have been diagnosed with severe SA at the end of 06 and have been using a cpap since then. I didn't have a hard time getting used to it because I slept so much better and had more energy. It's funny, I read that after people went on cpap, they lost weight. I didn't lose weight until I went veg 9 months ago! Actually, my readings are higher now because of my anatomy. I could weigh 90 pounds and still have severe sa. I use the nasal pillows and have a humidifier on my unit. I am pretty sure my dad had sa, he would stop breathing all night and died at 60 from a severe heart attack. his dad also died at 62 from a heart attack, so I think it runs in my family.

·
2,688 Posts
I am pretty sure that sleep apnea runs in my family also. I feel SA contributed a lot to my Dad passing away from a major heart attack at a younger age than he should have.
I lost a grandson at 3 months of age to crib death. Normal baby with no visual health problems. Daughter had took 3 months off from work, and the day she went back to work, the baby died that morning at the babysitter's when put down for a morning nap.

My husband when finding out I had to sleep with a machine made a stupid remark, that he did not want to sleep next to a woman all night using a nosy machine. I let him have it .......... one sentence .........
*Me using a machine, sure beats you waking up next to a dead woman !!!!!! *

·
Registered
316 Posts
hhhhhhhmmmmmm.......no one else in my family has it.....on the other hand....out of the whole family.....i am the only fat one.

i know that weight plays a large part.....(forgive the pun.....:foot: )......i didn't realize it until after i typed it .......then i thought it fit well.....i know i am bored today.........silly me

·
Registered
317 Posts
actually, I find the cpap machine I use is fairly quiet. the only time dh complains is if I roll over and knock the nasal pillows out from under my nose, then he says it sounds like he's at the end of a runway.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks so much for all the helpful information! I am so glad you have shared with me as it lets me know that others understand.

I did the overnight on the mask, WOW......I can't believe even with them messing with the air to get the pressures right I woke up feeling so different! I can't remember the last time I slept so well. I can't wait to get my machine for home! I never dreamed it could make so much difference.......and it had a HUGE impact on my blood sugars! My morning fasting blood sugar after the test that night was 1/3 the amount it has been in the mornings the last while. That alone should make me feel much better.

I have to agree with you saying it seems to run in families. My mother use to wake up during the night choking, she couldn't catch her breath.
I know now that it was apnea, then it was unheard of. My mom died very young, she was only 55 years old and died from her heart problems. I know deep in my heart that this was one of the prime causes I have lost so many family members to heart disease......they didn't haven't a clue 20 years ago how this stuff affected people. My family have also always been the ones to snore, and that is clue number one from what the guy that did my study told me. That is a sign of "blocking of the airway", and should be taken seriously.
I was also told that stroke is common with people with (untreated) apnea.....I had a stroke at the young age of 40! Now I have to wonder if it was the apnea I have that made that happen.......

I can't tell you how much it means to hear your stories, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing with me.....

I have to add, I don't mind the sound of the machine at all, it reminds me of "white noise" and really covers up all the little sounds that usually keep me awake!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Isn't it amazing how much better you slept using the machine!? Wait till you get yours home and start using it every night!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 8 yr old son has been on the cpap machine for 4 yrs now. Its sad though b/c we no longer have insurance so when his mask or tube breaks we have to buy them. i order them off line but its worth it. His ramp button quiet working so i have alittle struggle getting it on him with full pressure. Hopefully I will be able to get insurance as soon as I find a job b/c i dont want him without it.

I read a study on children with ADHD and they are saying some children with ADHD is caused from sleep apnea
I snore really bad so after I get my son taken care of I am going.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sleep Ap

I have it but I am blessed with a dog who somehow knew how to wake me up every time I stop breathing! Amazing!

·
Registered
645 Posts
My boyfriend was diagnose a couple of months ago - he had terrible snoring and sleep apnea even when he was married, but for some reason, never looked into a sleep test or anything (can't believe his ex didn't force him!) but I did. He'd been using a cpap and I could see the difference in how he looked - instead of looking always underrested, he looked so much healthier, and the noise from the cpap is way better than the sound of him snoring, choking, gasping and his body thrashing as it tries to get him to breathe.

He just had the surgery - tonsils out, uvula, deviated septum and is in recovering on the couch as I write. We're praying that this ends his apnea and snoring (I can't sleep with him due to the sound of his snoring and/or the cpap - I'm a really light sleeper). I'll post the results as he recovers.

Yes, apnea is SO serious and can cause so many health problems. He could stand to lost at least 20 lbs and wish he would get motivated to do that as well - but even weight loss wouldn't have cured his problem because he had the deviated septum and an enlarged tonsils/misshapen uvula.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts