Discussion Starter #1
Apple Butter

2 qt. apple cider
3 1/2 lbs. cooking apples
3 cups sugar
2 tsp. each allspice and cloves
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/4 salt

Boil cider 15 mins. Add apples, cut in eighths. Cook until tender. Put through a sieve to remove peel and seeds. Return to kettle; add sugar, spices and salt. Simmer slowly until thick. Stir often to prevent burning. Pour into sterilized jars and seal. Makes 4 pints.:apple:

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Thanks for the recipe. I really like fruit butters. Here's a few more:

Peach Butter
Yields: 2 half pints and one small jar
Ingredients:

3 1/2 lbs peaches
1 3/4 cups granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon almond Flavouring
Place peaches in boiling water 2 at a time for 30 sec. to one minute. Remove from water and peel. Remove pits. Grind or mash peaches, then combine with other ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium heat, stirring often. Boil, again stirring often, for about one hour and fifeen minutes until thickened. A spoonful on a chilled saucer should remain smooth with no watery sign. Fill hot sterilized jars to within 1/4" from the top and seal.

Pumpkin Butter
Yields: 1 3/4 cups pumpkin butter

Ingredients:

1 15 oz can solid pack pumpkin(not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
pinch of salt
Place ingredients in a saucepan and stir together. Bring to a boil; lower heat to a simmer. Cook , stirring 15 minutes or until butter has become dark and thick.

Spiced Pear Butter
yields: 5 half pints

Ingredients:

6 pounds ripe pears (about 16 large) peeled, cored and chopped
3 cups apple juice
4 (3-inch) sticks cinnamon, broken into pieces
2 (1-ounce) slices fresh gingerroot
12 whole allspice
8 whole cloves
3 cups sugar
Combine pears and apple juice in a large pot. Tie broken cinnamon sticks and next 3 ingredients in a piece of cheesecloth; add to pear mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour until pears are tender. Drain pears, and discard spice bag. Mash pears or process in food processor until smooth. Return pear puree to pot and add sugar. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 30 to 40 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and quickly pour hot pear mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands. Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
and more yumm...

BANANA BUTTER
Yield: 8 servings

3 c [about 10 medium] bananas
1/4 c Lemon juice
1/4 c Finely chopped maraschino-cherries
6 1/2 c Sugar
1 Bottle [6 ounces] liquid-pectin

Thoroughly mash bananas. Measure 3 cups into a large saucepan. Add lemon juice, cherries and sugar; mix well. Bring to hard rolling boil; boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat ;quickly stir in pectin. Ladle into clean, hot jars. Seal. Makes 8 or 9 half-pints.

Plum Butter

10 cups peeled and chopped plums - peel plums by dropping them into boiling and then ice water
5 cups sugar - be sure to use cane sugar not beet sugar

Cook all ingredients at a very mild boil (less than medium heat) for about 2 hours. Skim the foam from the top of the fruit while cooking. After cooking for about 45 minutes, puree mixture with a hand blender until very smooth.

The butter will be ready when you place a small amount on a plate and no water seeps out. It should be rich, smooth and dark.

After filling jars, return to a boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Take out and allow to cool. Jars should seal within the hour.

Yield: 6 8-oz jars

Cranberry Butter

Introduction This is a nice flavored butter to serve anytime. Really good on roll or muffins.

Ingredients
1 (16 oz.) can whole berry cranberry sauce
2 cups butter or margarine softened
1 Tbls. grated orange peel

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, beat on high speed for 2 minutes or until creamy. Spoon into a crock or dish and refrigerate. Makes 3 1/2 cups.

STRAWBERRY BUTTER

3/4 C. frozen strawberries, thawed and drained
1 C. butter, softened
3 T. confectioners' sugar

Mix ingredients in blender until smooth. Refrigerate. Makes about 2 cups

CINNAMON ORANGE BUTTER

1/2 c Butter, at room temperature
1 Grated peel of orange
2 tb Orange juice concentrate
2 tb Brown sugar
1/2 t Cinnamon

Cream together all ingredients.

Chocolate Butter
It's butter like you've never tasted! Spread it on nut bread, banana bread or rasin-bread toast.
Source: Midwest Living

1/2 cup unsalted butter or regular butter
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon chocolate flavoring
1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)

1. In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. With mixer on low speed, add powdered sugar, a little at a time, beating until combined.
2. Add the cooled chocolate, vanilla, chocolate flavoring and salt, if you like. Beat until smooth. Cover and chill in refrigerator.
3. Serve at room temperature. Makes 1 cup (16 servings).

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/breadspread/breadspread.html

lots more listed above.

·
FV Buddy aka KathiBob
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sara, Is the banana butter a good way to use up kind of over ripe bananas, do you think? I am always trying to figure out how to use over ripe bananas!:fdance: :fdance: :fdance: :fdance:

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I haven't made it, but plan to this week. I would imagine it would be great to use up older bananas, seeing as the bananas are all mashed and then cooked a bit for the recipe. I also think substituting or omitting the cherries would work fine. I'm thinking of adding strawberries instead. I'll update later.
I think these butters make excellent homemade gifts.

Sara

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Cilantro Lime Butter

1/2 cup butter softened
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice

Stir together all ingredients until well blended.

Makes 1/2 cup.
Try this on corn or steamed fresh veggies.
Prep 5 minutes
Source Southern Living Spring 2002

·
Registered
74 Posts
Banana Butter
use the hot packed method of canning

4 large bananas
2tbsp lemon juice
1-1/2 cups of sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves

Peel the banana and cut into chunks, then sprinkle with the lemon juice. Mash in blender or with electric mixer. Combine with the sugar and spices in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, then simmer, stirring constantly for 15 minutes. Spoon into hot sterilized jars and seal. Process in Hot water bath for 20 minutes for longer storage. Store in a cool place.
makes 3 half-pints

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Ooooooooo....... Thanks for bumping ! I would love to do these for the holidays ! :D

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
:bump:

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Wow! Thanks!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts